Historicon game 8

Where the Lines Meet

Saturday night we had 6 captains manning the helm. Most were first timers or very new as you will see.
The mission for the French was to get past the British and make a break for the open sea. They had to get off the far corner of the table.

The French at the bottom left start their break for the ocean. The Royal Navy squadron upper left are not in the mood to let the French slip off so easily.
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  191.5 KB

One French Captain heads south of the island while the other two stay north.
One British ship heads to block the southern French while another heads towards the two French. This captain either miscalculated or was trying to scrape some barnacles off of his hull. He came to a slow stop when hitting the sand bar along the beach.
The third captain was having rudder troubles and was turning in circles upwind of everyone.
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  214.5 KB

One French captain was curious about what the British ship was doing so close to the island and went to look for himself.
Name:  3.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  200.9 KB

When the French was momentarily beached the British ship freed itself and found it easy to hit the motionless target.
Name:  4.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  217.9 KB

The beached Frenchman freed his ship and got under way. This surprised the British captain and he was pinched between two French SOLs.
Name:  5.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  208.1 KB

After this it really went down hill for the Royal Navy. The French easily slipped past the fumbling British and all three French SOLs made their escape.

As the game ended very quickly, I offered to run it again now that everyone had a feel for the game. One player bowed out and the rest were game. I took over for the exiting captain and we reset a bit closer. This time we were just out for the battle.

The French were again on the lower left, British upper right. I sailed the last ship in the line.
Name:  6.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  199.9 KB

The center French captain must have come up with a cunning plan as he pulled out of the French line.
Name:  7.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  204.3 KB

The lead British SOL was now getting hit on both sides but the French had lost formation.
Name:  8.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  227.1 KB

Many broadsides were traded and the lone French captain was regretting his decision to leave the line.
Name:  9.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  214.5 KB

As I traded dealt out broadsides I only took one as one of the French was reloading. Once past the French the tacking began to turn and re-engage.
Name:  10.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  196.4 KB

The French had a laugh as the lead RN SOL ran aground. As they watched the British misfortune they forgot to look where they were going.
Name:  11.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  212.5 KB

The French all collided with each other doing more damage to themselves than the British had done on the first passing of broadsides.
Name:  12.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  211.1 KB

The British were now in position to attack the tangled mess of French ships.
Name:  13.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  199.2 KB

With two of the French ships down to their last hull box they scuttled and boarded the strongest ship, which was itself almost out of crewmen.
The one lone French SOL disengaged leaving the Royal Navy the victory.
Name:  14.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  211.3 KB

I can’t say how many times I warned everyone on being very careful with their maneuver choices. At least the British captain that ran aground in the first game didn’t do so in the second.

We all had a good laugh at how the French created their own island while one of the British was inspecting the real island.