Thread: My forever game. Why everyone should try Post Captain

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Joseph

Default My forever game. Why everyone should try Post Captain

First off, Sails of Glory is a fantastic system. It regularly hits my table, especially with basic rules for some quick and dirty beer & pretzel naval wargaming. But when I really want to feel like Aubrey, with the wind in my sails, no system even comes close to being what Post Captain is. WSIM, Close Action, Heart of Oak. All fall short.

For a game with more complex rules, and as a complexity averse player, I was very surprised by how easily this game flows once you work through one round.

I’ve attached some images from the rules binder, including the fantastic bibliography, as well as these great AARs:

AAR 1

AAR 2

Last edited by Bligh; 11-15-2021 at 01:05.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Joseph

Oops, fixed the image the right way up.

Dang mobile cant upload things correctly.

To expand on the game, its almost exclusively focused on managing 1-2 ships, and works terribly well for frigate actions. Playing with multiple players has the added twist of needing to communicate orders to your subordinate players with signals that they must be able to see (die roll) and interpret.

The game has a beautiful focus on seamanship, and captures the reality of these duels that we've all read about in so many books. It by no means replaces Sails of Glory, as sails is a much simpler system, and especially tailored towards larger actions. But when you want a ripping good time, with a surprisingly easy to grok rule set, this is definitely worth the time investment.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Joseph, this sounds very interesting. How do I get a copy of this game?

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Boardgame Geek. per the URL.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

At $32 USD for the PDF which equates to $44 of my money I really would like to know more about it before buying. The basic problem a lot of us have is that we usually end up playing solo. Therefore does PC have a good set of solo rules?

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    At $32 USD for the PDF which equates to $44 of my money I really would like to know more about it before buying. The basic problem a lot of us have is that we usually end up playing solo. Therefore does PC have a good set of solo rules?
    That was my reaction as well. Pricey for a PDF, the hard copy, which granted is loose leaf, is just about the same price. Now that Dobbs has it and is digesting it on his sail south for the winter, I think I will pony up the cash and give PC a go. I have been mainly played "Kiss Me Hardy" which is designed for fleet battles, so this will bring in duels and smaller actions.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

So far I'm liking what I see. The sailing aspect is well thought out. I like the way movement is based on the sail plan. I do feel that the tacking rules are a bit harsh.

The PDF version comes with rulers for 1/1200 and 1/2400. I've seen pictures of folks using 1/1000 rulers, but haven't found where they come from. Also,the ship diagrams don't include Amazons. I've been trying to find additional ship diagrams but have not found many.

Approaching Charleston, South Carolina. Experiencing a surprising cold snap. The boat's interior rains humidity in the mornings.

Research continues...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I hope things will soon perk up for you both, as you get further South. Can you remind me of the Blog site as I saved it somewhere but now can't locate where it is.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Dobbs.
    Well I have now spent an hour getting up to date with your voyage, and found it so enthralling that I forgot to set up for tomorrows game, so must log off now and get that done. I have bookmarked the blog.
    Good sailing to you both.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 11-26-2021 at 07:15.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

We are traveling in company with a couple on a Tayana 37.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/tayana-37

Tomorrow we shall celebrate Thanksgiving with them in a secluded anchorage south of Charleston. Both of them are chafing to have a go at Sails of Glory. I introduced them to the game 3 years ago.

I found the Post Captain files I was looking for on the Old Dominion Games website, but don't know how to describe finding them. It's kind of like the Isle de Muertes from Piratesof the Caribbean, you can't find them unless you know where they are.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Don't forget to take us a few shots of the game Dobbs.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Joseph

Oops I’ve abandoned this thread! The game is available here under the store

https://www.odgw.com/home.html

Once you purchase it you have access to the downloads section which includes a MASSIVE library of ship cards, new rulers, supplementary material. Etc

For some reason the images i submitted got deleted, let me re add them

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Joseph

Name:  IMG_9528.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  224.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_9529.jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  250.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_9530.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  225.6 KB
    Last edited by InjunJ03; 11-30-2021 at 09:12.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Joseph

It’s almost worth buying for the bibliography alone.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Joseph

Dobbs, on the main page you will find the download library on the left, click it and log in and you will see the “private access” library. From there you can find everything.

I have them all printed out on cardstock, and they fit perfectly in baseball card holders

Name:  IMG_9531.jpg
Views: 1126
Size:  226.7 KB
    Last edited by InjunJ03; 11-30-2021 at 09:11.

Ok I have registered and purchased the game. I did find the files as well. I think I should send my copy to Joe for proper binder organization

Also for anyone interested in larger scales when the Warlord 1/700 scale ships came out they added templates in that scale. Technically it is 1/720 scale so the math works out, I think it is 1" = 20 yards since the ranges in game are all expressed in yards.

Joe and Dobbs are spot on with PC and the sailing. After seeing so many games, which are good mind you, that abstract certain element of sailing this is the complete opposite. The advanced rules include; leeway, wind shadow, sternway among others. So far well done and the reading continues.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

There is a playtest kit and V2 of the rule book available for free on Board Game Geek. If it is the same game you can try before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    There is a playtest kit and V2 of the rule book available for free on Board Game Geek. If it is the same game you can try before you buy.
    That is a different game, a solo PnP game. This one is under; Post Captain 1793-1815. No files but there is a very detailed AAR.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

OK sorry I got the wrong game on boardgamegeek but does the Post Captain 1793-1815 have solo rules please?

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Because of this post, I bought Post Captain. It really is an in depth game. I look forward to playing it. I figured that I'd use my Sails of Glory miniatures.

I thought, however, that the ship cards could use some sprucing up. Here's my progress so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bligh; 02-28-2022 at 00:56.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looking good Dobbs.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Ship Card Starter Set.pdf

This is as far as I've gotten.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well it's a start Dobbs.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Howard

That's great to see, thanks so much for posting.