Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default AAR. In the Indian Ocean.

Chase me.

Although, following the exploits of HEIC Cornwallis and the Earl of Mornington, things were subdued in the area of Madagascar and the Mozambique Channel; this was not the case nearer to the main French base of operations. The isle de France was still sending out Frigates and smaller craft to prey upon merchants in the South Indian Ocean, and the HEIC plus the Royal Navy warships based at the Cape were permanently kept busy patrolling the shipping lanes between India and the Atlantic Ocean.
    It was on one such patrol that the HEIC Sloop Aurora commanded by Lieutenant Isadore Cope happened upon an incident just of an Archipelago near to the Island of Reunion.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bligh; 11-07-2021 at 09:08.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

With the wind blowing steadily from the West Captain Cope’s attention was drawn to the sound of gunfire coming from the North East and he instructed his helmsman bring the sloop on to a heading of East North East .
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Aurora immediately came about and bore up towards the sound of the battle.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As they drew nearer, using his Dolland glass, Captain Cope descried what appeared to be a French sloop of much the same size as Aurora in persuit of a merchantman flying the blue ensign of the British Mercantile Marine rather than that of the company.
    Last edited by Bligh; 11-07-2021 at 09:07.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Giving chase Aurora rapidly closed the distance between the two combatants and it became easy to discern by eye the fall of shot as the two vessels duelled with each other.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The British schooner seemed to be giving good account of herself, and Cope decided to try and distract her attacker.

An narrow but interesting - and likely fun - game. I've been absent from the forum for awhile - all focus is now on our 10 week old Shiba Inu. Very smart, very busy and very independently minded - so a handful.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Any photos Paul? Or should that be how many photos Paul?

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Any photos Paul? Or should that be how many photos Paul?

Rob.
    Er, yes.

Name:  Akira - 06Nov21.1.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  225.8 KB
    Name:  Akira - 06Nov21.2.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  120.4 KB
    Name:  Akira - 15Nov21.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  229.7 KB
    Name:  Akira - 16Nov21.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  221.1 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thank you for the Rep.
    As far as the result of the fight went Paul, there will be repercussions. Mark my words well.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 11-22-2021 at 12:32.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Very nice addition to your family. Will he be a sea dog and join you on your cruises? i have been watching Foxes Afloat on YouTube and they have a dog onboard their boat with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Very nice addition to your family. Will he be a sea dog and join you on your cruises? i have been watching Foxes Afloat on YouTube and they have a dog onboard their boat with them.
    Thanks, Gary. Maybe if she’s on my cruises I expect I’d have to watch over my shoulder for a mutiny. Shiba’s do like to dominate.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Rob you managed to ambush yourself if this is a solo game that takes some doing. Well done.

A great scenario, took me completely by suprise when Aurora entered that anchorage and took a broadside from Alligator.

Was it your intention to fight 2 sloops on 1 or was the merchant ship going to lend a hand if she could.

Nice to see you're still posting AAR's, did you find the link to Mikes method of posting I sent or didn't it work for you.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Firstly, thanks for the Rep John.

Lets just say I overestimated my ability to take out two ships. My intention to weaken the first enemy sloop with my chaser failed, and then the idea that I could exchange one broadside with Alligator as I passed, still in persuit of the second ship, was altered disasterously when I saw that by coming about instead he could be boxed in and I could rake him indefinitely. As you saw her captain up anchored and boarded me. Even then I had more men, but lost every round of hand to hand until forced to surrender. The moral of all this is never change a plan that is working!
    The escaped merchant will, however, have repercussions in my next mission, by awaking a sleeping giant.

I now look forward to seeing what that old roué Jon Vagabond will get up to in your next mission. I have missed hearing of his exploits.

Not had chance to look at Mike's idea yet with a lot on and Christmas prep on top of that, but will give it a go once I get time.

Rob.