Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Default Downrigging Weekend

We're sailing up the Chester River to Downrigging Weekend. Tomorrow we're hunkered down for a gale warning. East winds 20-25 knots with gusts to 45!

The Baltimore Clipper Lynx passed us as we were beating in light winds up to our anchorage. She was making much better to windward than us using her more modern mode of propulsion. Later in the day, we were forced to do the same when the wind died completely.

Name:  20211028_195823.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  180.5 KB

Here's a link to her website:

https://tallshiplynx.com/
    Last edited by Dobbs; 10-28-2021 at 18:17.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I hope you all weather the storm OK Dobbs.
    That is another sleek looking vessel.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Well, we weathered the storm with no problem, spent the day playing "Terraforming Mars". Meanwhile most of coastal Maryland was placed under Rd a state of emergency (tidal flooding). We woke up to a changed forecast and the small craft advisory was extended through the next two days. Rather than anchor in an exposed anchorage, we chose to start our migration south. No tall ships. Still, we had a great sail with a 2nd reef in the jib and main. Tonight, a quiet, protected anchorage about 30 miles south of where we were planning to be today.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Great to hear you are safely on your way Dobbs.
    Bon voyage my friend. Send us lots of pictures when you get the chance.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Ah… Terraforming Mars is a game designed in Sweden. Nice choice!

I was there on Sunday. Sorry to have missed Dobbs but discretion is called for with sketchy weather! Fortunately the weather cleared on Sunday. We were out on an acquaintance's power boat. Here are some photos I took with my phone.

First some shots of the host - Sultana a replica of a 1760's British schooner.

Name:  SultanaBow.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  178.2 KB

Name:  Sultana bow Q.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  156.9 KB

Name:  Sultana stern Q.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  213.4 KB

The aforementioned Lynx with privateer appropriate patched stays'l! I sailed on Lynx in Baltimore Harbor during the bicenntenary of the bombardment of Ft. McHenry and the writing of the Star Spangled Banner.

Name:  Lynx close up.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  193.2 KB

Her big sister Pride of Baltimore II

Name:  Pride of Balt.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  214.6 KB

Kalmar Nyckel the ship I crewed on and a replica of the ship bringing Swedish traders to the Delaware Bay in 1638. They have already downrigged the tops'ls.

Name:  Kalmar Nyckel.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  182.6 KB

A Skipjack - Chesapeake Bay oyster dredging boat. You can go out and dredge for oysters on one today.

Name:  Skipjack.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  177.4 KB

Gratuitous shot of the fly bridge and speedo of the 50 foot boat I was on. You can see at this point we were going 25+ knots, but you can't see the fuel consumption indicator, and best not to look!

Name:  Speedo.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  165.1 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for those great Photos Eric. That just rounds off the earlier posts from Dobbs very nicely.

Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Scott

Wow, great photos

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Great photos. I really like Sultana. She has lovely lines. Great looking little vessel.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Wonderful pictures, Eric! I wish we could have been there, but Nature can be a Mother!

We're now in Virginia, about 60 miles from the bottom of the Bay.