Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AAR. The battle of Cape Ortagal.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thank you very much for the Rep Gary, I am glad you enjoyed my Trafalgar tribute game, even if the ship names were a bit of a confusion. Strange to say, but when the captured French ships were taken into service they were all given English type names save HMS Mont Blanc.
    Unfortunately none were given the epithet HMS Roast Beef, or HMS Yorkshire Pudding for that matter.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Just joking. Mind you, saying Bellerophon caused a lot of problems amongst the unwashed as you have pointed out.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Just joking. Mind you, saying Bellerophon caused a lot of problems amongst the unwashed as you have pointed out.
    Be wary about what jokes you make Gary. They may return to bite your bum.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Nice battle. Really well done!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

About the names, by the way, British sailors had their own names for ships with names they thought were hard to pronounce.

Vincy Joe, Billy Ruffian, Eggs and Bacon, Belly Squeaks, Jenny Rooks, Polly Infamous, Andrew Mackay, Dead Nose.

Can you figure out which name hides behind the descriptions?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I know that Billy Ruffian is Bellerophon, and suspect that Polly Infamous is Polyphemus, as for the rest ?

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Those are correct, Rob, but I suspect you can guess which is Lord Nelson’s favorite ship.

The French ones may be a bit harder.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Vincy Joe is Vincejo, Belly Squeaks is Belliquese, Andrew Mackay is Andromache, Dead Nose is Dedaigneuse. Jenny Rooks = Genereux?
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Those are correct, Rob, but I suspect you can guess which is Lord Nelson’s favorite ship.

The French ones may be a bit harder.
    Eggs and Bacon = Agamemnon?

Great AAR Rob. I ran this battle some years ago at a US show. If I recall correctly I applied post Trafalgar battle damage to several of the ships.

My only concern is that the frigates caused too much damage. I think this would be a good situation to apply Dobb's weight of shot rules!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yes Eric I agree,
    and to think that I nearly left the frigates out until I re-read the action and found out what difference they made. I decided not to deprive Formidable of the guns they cast overside whilst scarpering from Trafalgar. It's a good job that I didn't otherwise the battle would have been over even sooner.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Tomorrow i will start dropping in the ship cards for this action in case anyone fancies having a go at it. At the moment I'm clearing up after this weeks game which I ran today.

Rob.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Achim

Great AAR, an inspiration for future games !

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Achim. If it encourages anyone to get started on the write up of their own games it will be well worth the effort.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Yep, great AAR, Rob!

I was also surprised at the amount of damage the frigates delivered. Eric, the only thing about my weight of shot rules is that it applies to 12pdr frigates or smaller. I think all the ones in Bligh's engagement were 18 pdrs.

The French should have turned enmass and devoured the frigates before the English 74's could get there.

What am I saying!? I'm responsible for a number of lost 74's.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Santa Margarita should be a 12pdr IIRC, I'll have to doublecheck.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

You got them all.

I have thought about the difference between frigates and ships of the line before. In the Battle of the Nile there was an incident that clearly showed the power difference and that is hard to recreate in Sails of Glory.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yes DB. she is a 36 gun 12 lbr.

Aeolus is a 32 gun 18 lbr.

Phoenix a 36 18 lbr.

As far as I know after her capture by the British Revolutionnaire became a 38 gun 18 lbr. but from 1803 she replaced her top deck 18 lbrs. for 32 lbr. Carronades.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Last edited by Bligh; 10-29-2021 at 13:15.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Last edited by Bligh; 10-29-2021 at 13:14.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Last edited by Bligh; 10-29-2021 at 13:14.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Brilliant reenactment, Rob.

Thank you for this historical based scenario.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thank you for the Rep my dear Comte. If you can make Doncaster next year, I'm hoping that you will do me the honour of commanding the French Fleet in the Action.

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Unlike the moves shown in the actual battle they have already lost their rearmost 74 and the British Frigates have to circumnavigate the derelict Scipion.
    That brought a tear to the eye of that old French sea dog Jean le Vagabond, I'll drink a glass of the 98 brandy in honour of those brave French sailors.

Excellent game Rob, easy to follow the action, even if painfull at times to see the force of the British gunnery which at times was so extraordinarily damaging to the elegant French ships.

I know the French were tacking in this photo but I wonder if they could have crossed the T of the British line rather than tack and follow a reciprocal path. Would that have been a possible option or were you trying to be as close to history as a re-enactment can be? Either way, excellent game.

I like what you've done with rounding out the corner of the table, it always jars with me when I look at my pictures and see a square corner, I've been thinking about doing something similar and yours looks very good.
    Cheers

I didn't capture the picture, it was at 15:35.

Thanks for the ships cards and yes the frigates caused a lot of damage and the French gunnery was poor apart from 1 broadside ( think).
    Last edited by Vagabond; 11-04-2021 at 18:25.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi John.
    Good to hear from the old Vagabond again. Firstly thanks for the rep, and the comment. I followed the actual battle line until it became impossible to comply because of the Scipion being in the way and then went onto the AI for the French with a lot of A. If they had not got all those fire cards they would have made a better fist of it.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is the next of the British ships.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Last edited by Bligh; 11-16-2021 at 12:53.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Last edited by Bligh; 11-16-2021 at 12:55.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Last edited by Bligh; 11-16-2021 at 12:59.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Last edited by Bligh; 11-17-2021 at 13:27.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Last edited by Bligh; 11-17-2021 at 13:27.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Last edited by Bligh; 11-17-2021 at 13:28.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Last edited by Bligh; 11-17-2021 at 13:29.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Last edited by Bligh; 11-17-2021 at 13:29.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Last edited by Bligh; 11-17-2021 at 13:30.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Last edited by Bligh; 11-17-2021 at 13:30.