Thread: Hi From Sheffield

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Scott

Default Hi From Sheffield

Hi everyone,

I've just ordered the starter set after much research and deliberation. I'm not a wargamer as such but table top gamer in general (I did play wings of glory or it's predecessor many years ago and loved it). Looking forward to this and hopefully to meet with some local veterans of the games too.

Scott

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Scott, and welcome to the merry band of brothers who frequent the Anchorage. you should have now recieved a welcome message from me in your PM box.
    It is a pity that you did not join us a few weeks back as we have just had our annual weekend event at Doncaster Air Museum. I am in Nottingham but there a few closer to you than I am in both North Notts and South Yorkshire.
    I'm sure they will be along to greet you here when their ship next docks.
    Till then may you sail with a fair wind and enjoy browsing through the Forum.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Welcome to the Anchorage!

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Hello Scott. I hope you enjoy the game as much as we do and post many AAR's.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Welcome to the Anchorage Scott, I'm about 15 miles away from you near Bakewell, I've been playing solo games but not with any live opponents for about a couple of years but wouldn't claim to be an sort of an expert.

Although I might lay some claim to being a young veteran.
    Cheers

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Scott

Thankyou everyone for your welcomes. I got my starter set this eve very exciting. I'd heard that ships often have broken masts but it had 3 ships with a broken mast each. Easily fixed though.

What first drew my attention was actually Black Seas, after researching I came across SoG just before I was going pick it up. I have to say I'm glad I did as the turn based system of BS didn't seem appealing and seem to lack a bit of detail. I've not played either but SoG looks to be the superior game in terms of simulation etc

Can't wait to get a game in now but away on a canal boat for a week. Might have to fire off a few broadsides at my fellow boaters :O)

@Bligh (Rob) I did see that you held an event at Doncaster. I would've loved to have popped in to say hi.

@vagabond (John) I'm actually in Bradwell in the peak but put Sheffield as an obvious well known city. So, I'm actually not far at all away. Within cannon shot.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Great. That actually puts you nearer to Donny than John then. It also means I can put you in the correct county when I update the members list for the end of the year. I will be publishing the details for Donny 22 as soon as Rafer has cleared the dates with the Air Museum.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Sorry to hear your masts were broken, that's a bit poor even though they should be easy to fix.

I used to live in Tideswell so your next village, but we moved the Ashford in the Water a couple if years ago. It's a good address for a sailor.

Enjoy your canal trip and I'm sure you'll enjoy Sails once you get into it.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Scott

I fixed the sails in no time. Had a quick tutorial solo play of the basic game playing both sides to get a feel for it. Will sneak in a standard game next.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Scott.
    Whilst we often get ships with broken masts, it is unusual for them to be in the starter sets. As you say it is an easy fix but it should not happen at all. Have you seen Herky Birds Solo rules in the Files section. They may be of interest.

https://www.sailsofglory.org/downloa...do=file&id=144

https://www.sailsofglory.org/downloa...do=file&id=140

We use them with some of our own in house rules added for the Solo Campaign.

Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

We are attending the Partizan show tomorrow if you go to shows, pop in and say hello if you do

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, Scott, from here near Norwich. I used to live in Chesterfield. There is much on this site to add to your enjoyment of the game and feel free to ask questions. You will find the people here are very friendly and helpful.

Chris forgot to mention that Partizan show is at the Newark Showground, Newark-on-Trent.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Scott - Rob's advice on the solo rules is sound and should give you some good games you could also try Dobbs solo rules. I found with Herkybirds, which were the original ones that the AI tended to run downwind and wear from side to side to fire whereas I find Dobbs rules are more aggressive and will come and get you. As Robb will tell you, sometimes you have to be the I in AI but I think there's less I with the Dobbs version.

Having said that, try them both and see how you get on with them because each game is different.

I've not played many games and so don't profess to any expertise and all but 2 of mine have been solo using one of the 3 AI solo systems I found on the site.
    Cheers

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Scott

Thankyou again everyone. Thanks for the heads up on the AIs. I'd seen the solo rules in the book and briefly looked at Herkybirds. I will get round to trying them.

I usually play new games 'solo' playing both sides as a way to get to know the game and the rules etc without having to learn the AI rules at the same time.

John, once I've got the rules and an idea of how the game plays understood I'd be up for meeting for some battles.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Ok let's see what we can sort out sometime in the future. I'm still being fairly careful due to the covid thing.

Something else I found really useful was a crib sheet that Captain Duff had created. It details the process for going through each turn and helped me a lot, particularly with the delayed repair actions like fire damage and fire fighting. I'm still not totally sure I get that but the sheet works well.

I imagine it's somewhere in the files section but can't give you a link, it's well worth searching out. There's 1 sheet for the basic and 1 for the advanced game.
    Cheers

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

If my sheet is not in the files, pm me your email and Ill send you the latest version, which has the rulebook pages added

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This is the only one I found in the files Chris.

https://sailsofglory.org/downloads.php?do=file&id=65

Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Thanks Rob, no that is not mine, so if anyone would like drop me a pm, it seems I cant add it to the files and I asked the Royal to add but looks like he also not been able to

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Send a copy to me and I'll see if I can get it in for you Chris.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 10-14-2021 at 04:49.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

It would be well worth having it in the files section, I find it invaluable - a great resource and I still use it for most games.

Thanks again Chris for your efforts in creating it in the first place and sharing it as well.
    Cheers