Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default The Games at Doncaster AARs.

First Battle of Tripoli.

Commodore Duff briefs his Captains, and the ships get under way whilst American captain Patch persues an enemy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0551.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-20-2021 at 13:24.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Captain Patch closes with the enemy whilst the Swedish Frigates expertly negotiate the outer shoals.(Raffer J Larwood please take notes)
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-20-2021 at 13:23.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Patch engages the so called English Fort, whilst the first of the Swedish Frigates anchors just outside the long shoal in the inner harbour and begins the discussion with the formost enemy ships.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0554.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As the second Swedish Frigate enters the bay the first line of the enemy turn into line of battle on their springs which had cunningly been set up by their Admiral Mustapha Camel before the battle started. Captain Patch soon disposes of the now anchored chase ship and returns his attention to the Fort.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0555.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The action now became general, but it was not long before the Libyan Flagship caught fire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0556.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Within a few minutes the tinder dry vessel went down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0557.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-20-2021 at 13:22.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Meanwhile the third Swedish Frigate attempted to outflank the defense line and came to the attention of the guns on the outer fortifications.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0559.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

At the other end of the Swedish line Captain Patch in USS Boston finally silenced the English fort and opened up the other flank of the defending ships line.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0560.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

At this juncture the second enemy ship sank under continuous fire from the two Swedish Frigates.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0558.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

With her first objective achieved Boston now joined the Froja and the Swedish line of battle who had now disposed of the third enemy ship. The Galleys in concert with the only remaining ship now finally go onto the attack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0561.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-20-2021 at 13:21.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This proves to be too little too late and one Galley goes down almost immediately that it comes into range. Its massive forward pointing gun having little effect on the Froja.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The second Galley after a quick contretempts with Boston also sinks beneath the waters of the harbour, whilst the outer castle is subdued by Camilla and the remaining enemy ship is abandoned by her crew, giving the combined squadron an overall decisive victory. In respect for the losing Admiral Mustapha Camel his identity will remain a closely guarded secret.

Bligh.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0564.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-20-2021 at 13:25.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Nice battle. Commodore Duff made me proud!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It was like a surgical opperation Jonas. They just sidestepped all the obsticals I had built in and used that hidden shoal as a defensive wall against attack. The vastarray of harbour guns hardly came into it. Only the mole and outer forts getting off any shots. Then each of the enemy ships were dispatched with superb skill and tenacity with complete disregard to incoming fire.

I had to take my hat off to them all.

Four against seven and two forts should have seeen them suffer. Not a single Allied ship was disabled. Even when the fort finally blew up they were out of range.

Rob.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Great action filled battle there chaps. Just out of curiosity how long did it last from the first move to the last?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Two hours and ten minutes including a short briefing and the loyal toast Gary. It was scheduled to last two and a half, but the attack was carried out so surgically that it was all over early.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Captain Duff's Campaign game 0ne

Vice Admiral Naharaht surveys the table.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0591.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-21-2021 at 09:47.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The other captains read their orders which sets each one a different objective.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0565.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Each captain contemplates his first move.
    My objectives were to man the batteries at harbour and gold mine, whilst transporting the gold collecting two decker from the port to the mine.
    Additionally I had two Frigates manned by freed slaves with very poor gunnery skills but a huge crew. They were out to run aboard and take any other ship that they could grapple. Simples then, Arrr! me hearties.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0566.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The ships set out.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The ships start to close.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0569.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Captain Manley attempts to make out the colours of an approaching ship. A friend or foe?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That's got to hurt!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Ships under fire near the gold mine.

Dammn it missed again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0572.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-21-2021 at 09:46.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And again! From the harbour defences.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thankfully the return fire was not any better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0574.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-21-2021 at 09:46.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Further out to sea the Black Pearl was getting in on the action, as my treasure Galleon made a run for it along the coast and gave the nearest british ship a whiff of grapeshot. Coor blimey those Spanish bilges didn't half whiff an all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0575.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-21-2021 at 09:45.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Meanwhile one of my distraction slave crews take a bit of a bashing whilst in hot persuit of a target ship which is about to distinguish itself by running aground. This ship niffs a bit too! What are you trying to do to me Chris? Those slaves could at least have been put under the ships pumps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0583.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-21-2021 at 09:45.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now I can smell burning as well. Never mind if things are hotting up. This has turned a long end chase into a simple boarding action. Ramming speed, and lets all get off this ship before we get our toes singed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0584.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-21-2021 at 09:44.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Ouch that hurt. This enemy fights hard, but at last the overwhelming hoard of slaves won through.

With my Treasure ship also safely docked it was mission accomplished.

However by a whisker Black Pearl escaped being boarded by my other slave manned frigate so in that area at least honours were even as both ships sailed off into the sunset.

Look out for part two of this campaign later.

Rob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0585.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-21-2021 at 09:44.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Second part of Chris's campaign.

Although I did not participate in the second action, I did manage to get a few photos during my wanderings through to the Wings games.
    A new set of objectives were set, and I'm sure Chris can explain them to you all.

You may notice that the British squadron seem to be biding their time as the hostilities kick off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0586.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-21-2021 at 09:43.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Soon a free for all seemed to develop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0587.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-21-2021 at 09:43.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This continues as more ships, some looking distinctly piratical approach from a distance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0588.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-21-2021 at 09:42.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The pirates appear to fall out among themselves.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The British cruise up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0589.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-21-2021 at 09:42.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

whilst everyone else fights themselves to a standstill in either obliterating their foes or in taking the town.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0598.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-21-2021 at 09:41.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Remember that British squadron? Having someone else fulfil all their objectives bar one, still in pristine fighting condition, they now form the blockade in front of the town and take the surrender of all the battered ships and their objectives.
    That at least was my understanding of the outcome.

My congratulations to Chris on having conceived and overseen such an entertaining afternoon's gaming for us all.

Rob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0589.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The First Battle of Tripoli Harbour or what really happened. How did you shape up when compared to Commodore Ruldolf Cederström’s Squadron and Captain Daniel McNeill?

It was a naval battle fought on May the 16th, 1802 in Tripoli Harbor between a combined force consisting of the American frigate USS Boston and initially two Swedish Navy frigates against several Tripolitanian Barbary corsairs. The Swedish-American force was enforcing the blockade when an engagement broke out between it and Tripolitanian forces. The Allied fleet damaged the Tripolitanian squadron as well as the harbour fortifications before withdrawing and resuming the blockade.
    USS Boston under Captain McNeill had been sent to Tripoli to blockade the port and prevent any ships from entering or leaving. Leaving for Tripoli in January she discovered that four Swedish ships had already begun a blockade of the port. Along with the Swedish vessels she attempted to chase down corsairs attempting to break the blockade with little success, as the Swedish vessels were quite large and cumbersome making it difficult for them to pursue the small Tripolitanian galleys that darted in and out of the port's harbour.

The Battle.

On May 16, Boston with the Swedish frigate HMSS Fröja managed to chase down a Tripolitanian corsair (a ship owned and staffed by Muslim Slave Traders), disabling it by forcing it to beach itself. Six other corsairs then sortied out from the harbour in an attempt to screen the first one. The American and Swedish frigates managed to deter their attempts until another ship arrived in the harbour. The Swedish frigate began bombarding the fortifications whilst Boston sailed to head off the new vessel. This gave the corsairs an opportunity to make another attempt at assisting the beached vessel. Shortly thereafter Boston realized that the newly arrived ship was merely another Swedish frigate. Realizing his mistake, Captain McNeil turned his ship around and engaged the Tripolitanian ships once more firing several broadsides into them and damaging several. The action then concluded with the three frigates resuming their blockade stations having taken no damage while inflicting several losses on the enemy.

Aftermath.

The action did little to prevent corsairs from using Tripoli as a base of operations. Besides this action, no other serious attempt was made by the blockading squadron to enforce the blockade. USS Constellation later arrived to bolster the attempt at denying the harbours use by the Tripolitanians. The Swedish decided to make their own peace with Tripoli, leaving the two American frigates to enforce the blockade themselves, but the Americans soon ran short of provisions and also withdrew, thereby lifting the blockade and leaving the port open to the enemy.

Not bad then eh captains. Well done.

Rob.

Great scenario, great report, great pics!!!
    May I please share on socials and BBG, quoting you as the source? Thanks a lot!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Feel free to use any of my photos whenever you like Andrea. If it were not for you there would not be any pictures to show anybody.
    You were sadly missed at Doncaster this year.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just spotted the Rep you gave me for the photos.
    Thank you sir.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Feel free to use any of my photos whenever you like Andrea. If it were not for you there would not be any pictures to show anybody.
    You were sadly missed at Doncaster this year.
    Thanks a lot! I also missed a lot the gathering. This year I was definitely motivated to join, but travel restrictions from Italy were too much. Next year, I hope!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You will always be most welcome to visit at any time sir.
    We look forward to meeting you again.

Rob.

Dear Rob,

thank you for the pictures and this interesting report about the Sails games hosted at Doncaster this year. :saulte:

Really miss the action with other gamers at the convention.

But Richthofen Paradoxon and Reach over the Alps are still ready to be hosted at the next Prague convention.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Aftermath.

The action did little to prevent corsairs from using Tripoli as a base of operations. Besides this action, no other serious attempt was made by the blockading squadron to enforce the blockade. USS Constellation later arrived to bolster the attempt at denying the harbours use by the Tripolitanians. The Swedish decided to make their own peace with Tripoli, leaving the two American frigates to enforce the blockade themselves, but the Americans soon ran short of provisions and also withdrew, thereby lifting the blockade and leaving the port open to the enemy.

Not bad then eh captains. Well done.

Rob.
    This is exactly how I envision Wings/Sails being used in the classroom, "can you step into the historical captain's shoes and match or improve his results?" Thank you for proving the concept. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Strange to say DB but my Wargaming career started because of something similar.
    When my Gran died we found among her things an old note book written by my Great Great Grandfather. At first glance it looked like a receipts book for deliveries he had made from his shop and payments from customers. There were some blank pages after his last entry, and I was about to discard it when I noticed that the last couple of pages were written on with addresses of family members who had emigrated to the States and most notably New York. At the side of one was a cryptic note that said “Last seen on the Battlefield at Cold Harbor." This got my two sons interested, so I did some research and we decided to do a Diorama of the most interesting part of the field using Airfix soldiers. When completed it was about 4 ft x 3. We made a Perspex lid for it and it was placed at the end of my workshop on a table. Sometime later a friend who taught History at the school where I worked popped in to get a little job done for him. He was teaching the ACW at the time and asked if I would loan it. They placed it in the school library and each class was taken in during the history lesson where he and I talked about the battle. After that it just went into the workshop again until Mrs. K. came in one day and said we should do something with it. She had seen a book on Wargames in the local Library by a chap called Livingstone, and promptly bought it for my birthday. The diorama was soon dismantled and a series of AWC games went into action on the living room floor. Later this developed into the Napoleonic wars still with Airfix plastics, and then D&D followed by Warhammer as that emerged onto the scene. Not long after that Captain Kiwi and I started the School Wargames Club. Duncan McFarlane the Editor of Wargames Illustrated found out about the club and invited the boys to put on a game at Partisan as he was trying to encourage more young people to take up Historical Wargaming.
    We went on to do shows all over the country culminating in three years at the World Championships at Derby where we came runners up in the Demo Games one year, and even had our own show at school for five years which mad the club very well off because all the facilities were supplied by the school including the meals done by Cook Supervisor and Captain Kiwi's good lady who gave of their time freely. We made more money on the food than the gate receipts and the Traders stand charges combined.
    There was always an element of background history for every game and a series of display board with maps and pictures of the action. Captain Kiwi refined this with a magnetic display board with coloured magnetic blocks and arrows to depict the action as it took place on the table to compare it with the way that the actual action had evolved on the maps on the display boards.

A great time was had by one and all. When the 350th Anniversary of the commencement of the ECW came along in 1992 we did a large Wargame of the ECW in the school hall over a period of three days with each class being brought in one at a time to see the action. At breaks and lunchtimes the hall was packed with kids trying to catch up with the action. This was to be the clubs swansong, although we did not know it at the time. When the cadre of the founding members left for University, their younger siblings tried to carry on for a while but after a while more and more went over to Warhammer, and the Last few shows we did were run by myself the Captain, my two sons Mrs K. and a dog. At salute that year we decided it was not viable anymore, and with a new headmaster in situ who was not in favour of Orcs, Goblins, and death Knights invading his school, sadly the "Fife and Drum" Wargames club sadly folded, although somewhere I still have my club badge, but not the tee shirt which did not fit my more apple proportions any more. I will try and dig it out DB.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    Dear Rob,

thank you for the pictures and this interesting report about the Sails games hosted at Doncaster this year. :saulte:

Really miss the action with other gamers at the convention.

But Richthofen Paradoxon and Reach over the Alps are still ready to be hosted at the next Prague convention.
    Thanks for your Rep my dear Comte. We had a great time as usual, but tinged with sadness at the absence of our continental bretheren.
    I look forward to reading your reports from the next Prague. Not sure when we will get out to anything abroad as Mrs Bligh is having a lot of trouble with her hip joint. They are thinking of doing a replacement but with the current situation that will be years away. Meantime she is getting about as best she can but can't manage long distances.
    I hope to see you at Doncaster, however, if you can make it next year. Sailing without your input is not quite the ticket.

Rob.

Strange to say DB but my Wargaming career started because of something similar.
    When my Gran died we found among her things an old note book written by my Great Great Grandfather. At first glance it looked like a receipts book for deliveries he had made from his shop and payments from customers...
    Very involving story. Well done, all of that!

I posted a few photos on BGG:
    https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...s-glory/images

If you prefer different credits, just tell me how to correct them.

Thanks again for all!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

No bother Andrea. A couple of shots were from Chris's (Cptn Duff's) next game using my scenics but nobody will notice.

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Sorry Rob I had to search for your report as I missed it at the time. Looks like you had a great time at Doncaster. I was particularly interested to see how your game went and looked.

Quick question on the backdrop. It looks like you are using square angle brackets to hold the foam board upright but it's not clear in your picture. It also looks like the board is just taped to the brackets, presumably because you don't use it like that at home.
    I would be most grateful if you have a picture that shows it more clearly? Or a good description of it.

Cheers