Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default Carronades fire power.

As you know I have been studying the power of fortifications of late, and this made me reconsider another area which I have been interested in whilst building my Carronade. When the carronade rule was introduced I just accepted it for what it was. In return for being able to load and fire every turn as the gun was shorter lighter and easier to manover, we sacrificed range, as the fact is that carronades were extremely inaccurate at long ranges even though they still had the power to inflict damage. Fair enough. Then I looked at reports of the "Smashers in action" and realised the real reason for employing them at close range. and why they came into more general use was that they were far more lethal than the ball fired from a standard deck gun. Should they, therefore, not have an extra bonus above the simple B chit which any gun fires when used at close range? Maybe something similar to a raking shot rounded up by a chit extra for every three delivered, or if this seems too draconian, perhaps just an extra chit for each deck mounting them?

Your thoughts would be welcome.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Actually the problem with carronades was not effective firing range, but effective *aiming* range with their sharply tapered contours. At least the flared "bell" at the muzzle of a traditional cannon restored a parallel-to-bore sight line for the most part.

They do seem kinda weak... if we switched carronades to drawing 2 A's instead of a B per chit, how does that change the Damage Expectancy?
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That sounds a possibility DB. I will give it a trial and see.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Bangers and smash.

Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very good Gary.
    Nearly as bad as one of mine!
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

I feel like we need more real world examples of Carronades -vs- Cannons firing side by side. I propose to start a new youtube channel to conduct actual test firing of all the 18th century naval artillery. I'm gonna need some funding... ;)

Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Setting that up would be a challenge. I would not like to test fire a 200 year old Carronade nor cannon with the full charge they would have used in their day. Nor would I think it an easy maytter to find the owner of one of these antiques who was happy to have them used in this way.
    Rob.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Setting that up would be a challenge. I would not like to test fire a 200 year old Carronade nor cannon with the full charge they would have used in their day. Nor would I think it an easy maytter to find the owner of one of these antiques who was happy to have them used in this way.
    Rob.
    Nor a foundry that could properly cast new specimens to the original spec using the original processes...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Exactly DB.
    When I was involved with the artillery, they had a 32 pounder Bronze cannon cast by the Bell Foundry. It looked splendid but when it underwent its X ray scan it failed on several points that even the Proof Shop had not picked up on, and could not be fired. It ended up being one heck of a lot of money wasted for a garden ornament. Michaels idea was a nice one though!

Rob.

Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This is also very interesting Jonas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9LBGIyv0Ys

Thanks for pointing it out..
    Rob.