Thread: USS Constitution - Band 1: Vor Gericht und auf See sind wir alle in Gottes Hand

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Achim

Default USS Constitution - Band 1: Vor Gericht und auf See sind wir alle in Gottes Hand

Book Title:
    USS Constitution - Band 1: Vor Gericht und auf See sind wir alle in Gottes Hand
    Author:
    Franck Bonnet
    ISBN:
    978-3-96219-587-8
    Category:
    Fiction
    Format:
    Hardback
    Summary:
    This is a comic with a classical “coming-of-age” / adventure plot. A young midshipman starts his service on the USS Constitution in 1803 at the beginning of the first Barbary war.
    He makes friendship with an able seaman, who discovers on the long journey with a lot of exercise and maneuvering that the young midshipman carries the burden of a dark family secret.
    The comic book has beautiful images and an excellent production quality.
    It also includes a glossary with some nautical technical terms.
    The German translation of episode 2 is announced for March 2022.

The original French version “USS Constitution - Tome 1: La justice à terre est souvent pire qu'en mer“ was published with ISBN 978-2344033432.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks a jolly good read for a bit of light entertainment Achim.
    Pity rhere is not an English version.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Achim

Indeed, unfortunately there seems to be no English version. A Dutch version has been published with ISBN 9789462941335: USS Constitution 1 – Aan land gelden vaak strengere wetten.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That could be useful. I could get it translated from the Dutch Achim.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Achim

I dig out this old thread again:
    Meanwhile volume 2 of the series has been published.
    In German by Splitter Verlag, ISBN 978-3-96219-588-5
    In French by Glénat, EAN 9782344041734

The adventure story from volume 1, embedded in the historical context of the first Barbary War, is continued. This episode includes the burning of the USS Philadelphia in the port of Tripoli.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for the update.
    It looks like a superb way to engage children in the age of sail. I wish that they produced it in English Achim.

Really, you would think a story about the USS Constitution would be in english. I would love to read both

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Achim

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Really, you would think a story about the USS Constitution would be in english.
    I think the reason for those stories not being published in English is due to the different status that comics have in the respective language areas. In the English-speaking world, I have the impression that comics are dominated by Disney and Marvel superheroes and have never left the "children's and teen's corner". In the French-speaking world, on the other hand, comics are much more of a serious literary form that also adults engage with. Every time I go on vacation in France, I'm impressed by the huge selection of high-quality comics there.
    In Germany, we seem to be somewhere in between, so I'm lucky enough to be able to read some great series in my mother tongue as well.
    My French is good enough to book a campsite or to go shopping, but not sufficient enough to read a long story, nor a comic

Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    I think the reason for those stories not being published in English is due to the different status that comics have in the respective language areas. In the English-speaking world, I have the impression that comics are dominated by Disney and Marvel superheroes and have never left the "children's and teen's corner". In the French-speaking world, on the other hand, comics are much more of a serious literary form that also adults engage with. Every time I go on vacation in France, I'm impressed by the huge selection of high-quality comics there.
    In Germany, we seem to be somewhere in between, so I'm lucky enough to be able to read some great series in my mother tongue as well.
    My French is good enough to book a campsite or to go shopping, but not sufficient enough to read a long story, nor a comic
    In the US these types of comics are marketed as "Graphic Novels" to teens and adults, but overall when someone says comic book people think of Marvel super heroes. A good example of an adult comic or graphic novel is "300" but that only attained mass popularity due to the movie. I have a very nice "comic book" about Waterloo that came out in 2015, it may be out in English, but my copy is the Dutch version - "Die Slacht bij Waterloo".