Thread: HMS Surprise (Rose)

Default HMS Surprise (Rose)

I just got back from a trip to California and we went to the Maritime Museum in San Diego where the HMS Surprise or HMS Rose is berthed. Sadly I was shocked to see the state of disrepair she is in, fingers crossed it is mostly cosmetic. Lots of peeling paint and woodwork badly in need of restoration. ( In the first shot you can see the peeling black paint on the hull). I hope Russell Crowe comes through with a sequel, which may help the ship get the work done! Although there were vessels in worse states of repair as you can see from the Russian sub!! I have attached some photos. One curious detail was the gun deck, which had the cannon up on a platform built on the deck behind the gun ports. Possible something to do with filming? Note that in the picture with the cannon I am standing behind it, whereas I should be crouching down to get that angle!

Name:  PXL_20210805_221714345.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  276.3 KBName:  PXL_20210806_231945730.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  255.2 KBName:  PXL_20210806_223324424.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  215.2 KBName:  PXL_20210806_230116692.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  305.3 KBName:  PXL_20210806_232919091.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  208.6 KBName:  PXL_20210806_232438466.jpg
Size:  207.3 KBName:  PXL_20210806_232523259.jpg
Size:  187.2 KBName:  PXL_20210806_232643242.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  230.5 KBName:  PXL_20210806_232321857.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  191.6 KBName:  PXL_20210806_232327042.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  161.1 KB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Looks like an interesting visit. Sad that it's not kept in god condition. Now I wish for the second movie doubly.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

What she could do with is her own preservation society forming. Friends of the Surprise. Then let the volunteers loose on the paintwork, Ironwork and brasswork. I just hope she is sound below the waterline. That second movie is long overdue. We can but hope Jonas!

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Back around the turn of the century, Suzanne and I spent a summer living on our boat in Bridgeport, CT. For most of it, the HMS Rose was our view out the aft hatch. We were befriended by a few of the crew who showed us around and explained the guns on the platform. Apparently, the platform is where the gun deck would really be and the deck where everyone walks was a designer's tweak to give a realistic amount of headroom to accommodate modern sensibilities.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20210819_194905.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  168.8 KB

Here's a 20+ year old photo that spent some time on a less than dry boat. It's the view from the cockpit of Walden, our first cruising boat, an O'Day 27.

Name:  20210819_194842.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  122.8 KB

This is the view from the dinghy. The crew let me climb to the main fighting top once. I could have gone higher but I chickened out. With my curren mast-climbing career, I could kick myself now.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Thanks for posting. That brings back memories to our trip to San Diego and visit to the museum too. Loved every minute of it and I am sorry to hear of it's disrepair.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for adding those pictures Dobbs, and giving us a little more information on the ship.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Thank you for sharing the photographs and information about the ship, Eric and Dobbs. Like you, I am saddened that it is not being cared for.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Thanks for the photos and the potted history. Old boats are a constant drain on the purse.

Mind you, so are new boats.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

One of the perks with 3D printing. It's not expensive.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am just waiting for Chris to come on line with his printer. With the demise of the Anchorage Store, that will probably be where my Bank balance will be re-directed in future.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Back around the turn of the century, Suzanne and I spent a summer living on our boat in Bridgeport, CT. For most of it, the HMS Rose was our view out the aft hatch. We were befriended by a few of the crew who showed us around and explained the guns on the platform. Apparently, the platform is where the gun deck would really be and the deck where everyone walks was a designer's tweak to give a realistic amount of headroom to accommodate modern sensibilities.
    That is not surprising, and I thought it was a Hollywood addition! I can tell you that the Niagara has original headroom!

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Shapeways sell this model, which is named HMS Surprise. https://www.shapeways.com/product/G3...more-from-shop

Name:  710x528_801994_837320_1491851268_1_0.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  65.4 KB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

There are better looking models from Henry Turner and Simon Mann.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have to admit that Shapeways, although it fitted a much needed gap at the time and I have many of their products, has now been totally eclipsed for surface finish quality, robustness, and detail by the printed models being produced. Nevertheless, if you can't get a printed model of your requirement Shapeways still fills a gap. They are better than nothing.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I have to admit that Shapeways, although it fitted a much needed gap at the time and I have many of their products, has now been totally eclipsed for surface finish quality, robustness, and detail by the printed models being produced. Nevertheless, if you can't get a printed model of your requirement Shapeways still fills a gap. They are better than nothing.
    Rob.
    Totally agree with you. Shapeways was particularly good for Wings of Glory models, but I just downloaded several models that a gamer/artist did for free!