View Poll Results: Which game should I use to introduce to a large casual gaming group of 10?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sails of Glory

3 60.00%
  • Wings of Glory WWI

2 40.00%
  • Wings of Glory WWII

0 0%
  • Tripods and Triplanes

0 0%

Thread: Hi! I need advice of which game to start with.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Charles

Question Hi! I need advice of which game to start with.

Hello! Glad to see communities built around all these "Glory" games by Ares!

I don't own any of the Glory games yet, but I'm eager to play because I do own X-Wing miniatures and have played in a few games at conventions - I heard the rules were very similar in how the game is played.

I like the similar rules enough that I want to buy one of the "Glory" games to get the rest of my family and our local gaming group into. We have a regular "board gaming night" every week where friends and family all get together and we pick a board game from a massive bookshelf to play. Our group has grown to the point that around 10 people can be counted to show up, so I was looking for a game which could support around 8 to 12 people of varying skills and interest in wargaming, to include old gaming veterans and even their small children (the youngest being around 10 years old). I remember hearing about Wings of Glory and was happy to hear the rules were very similar to X-Wing, so it sounded like the ideal game to support such a large group, and most importantly, not have the game take too long like some of the games we already play (because some of us have work the next day).

Other key factors to note are that I'm probably going to be the one to pay for most of the game and miniatures (The rules, accessories, and at least 8 miniatures to allow everybody else to use) in order to get any of them to play the game. I can't buy all the available Glory games (yet) so I want to make sure I start with the right one that would be great way to introduce a group to the rules. Right now, as I understand, there are four games to choose from: Wings of Glory WW1, WW2, Tripods and Triplanes, and Sails of Glory.

Of the four games I mentioned, which one would you personally recommend I start with considering the big casual gaming group I've described, who probably don't have any preference for any particular historical era of war, includes small kids, and probably won't buy any of their own miniatures (I'll always have to loan them one for the night)?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Welcome to the Anchorage Charles.
    I am sure some of your new shipmates will be along to advise you very soon.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Hello Charles. As I said over on the Wings forums when you posted there, in my opinion go for Sails first if you can.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, Charles, from here 'across The Pond' in the United Kingdom. I have answered your question over on the Aerodrome Wings of Glory website, if you have not already seen it. There are quite a number of us who belong to both sites.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I own Sails and WW1 but don’t play Wings regularly.

I think that Wings is probably quicker, but I would suggest you go for the era you have most interest for. Personally I love Age of Sails and that’s the deciding factor for me.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

If the players and yourself have no preferences then I'd start with Wings of Glory WW1, it is quite a bit simpler than Sails and looks great. My kids picked it up when they were 6 and 7, I think they'd have found Sails harder. When we run parti games at wargame shows its noticeably quicker to explain the rules for Wings and to get people going than Sails.

Of curse, once they are hooked and they understand the basic concept, THEN you hit them with Sails