Thread: 18th C. Fife and Drum Music

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Default 18th C. Fife and Drum Music

I came across this YouTube entitled "50 Years of Colonial Williamsburg Fife and Drums." In my younger days as a reenactor I marched into action to most of these (all that's missing is the smell of black power gunsmoke!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYFVt-_iRwU
    Last edited by Wentworth; 07-08-2021 at 13:24.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

If you like this sort of music (and I do) here are two more to view: the first is the resident fife and drum company of Longfellow's Wayside Inn in Massachusetts (where I have stayed a number of times) and the second is of the US Army's "Old Guard" Fife, Drum, and Bugle Corps performing on Lexington Green for Patriot's Day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRy8zk-B2Eo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrzDcxjVMVI

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

But that YouTube clip was just 18 minutes, not 50 years.

It’s nice to have. I usually listen to music that put me into the mood of a genre I’m about to enter. Play a game with 18th century infantry, that’s perfect. For a game of Sails of Glory I prefer sea chanties.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very emotive Bill. Took me back to when we were in Williamsburg, and I know exactly where they were playing which is nice.
    I will have to look out my British Army Fife and Drum music, which is so old it is on tape. Fortunately my CD player still has a slot for tapes. It took some finding to get that I can tell you.
    Re the gunsmoke. If you get withdrawal symptoms just pop over here and I'll take you to one of our shows and you can breath in the atmosphere. Other than that you could just pop down to one of your own.

Thank you for the music!

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This has now got me thinking it is high time I reviewed my American War of Independence Army to some of that music.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.