Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's on Your Workbench for July?

Hybrid View

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Default What's on Your Workbench for July?

This has been a long time coming. To square (pentagon) it up, I printed a pentagon to the outside dimensions of the walls.

Name:  20210706_173718.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  115.1 KB

It is to be my Ft McHenry, though I believe it to be somewhat larger in scale. I threw a Hebe frigate in the background for comparison.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know for sure if Fort M had grass on the walls in 1814? I thought that was a Civil War thing to deal with exploding shells.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Bases on the way from the UK, magnets on hand... gotta get motivated to blacken some washers and finish some masts. And touch up some annoying spots on hulls...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I think the fort in Copenhagen was a pentagon too. Pity we don't have one of that shape to buy.

But you reminded me that I have fortification bits I can print. I will have to try print those.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I found Kastellet and Trekroner Forts Jonas. Was it Kastelet which you wanted to confirm?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

And just so you know... Nelson anchored outside the marina when he attacked Copenhagen. The Danish use of the guns was somewhat impeded by the trees...

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Aaand not too long ago you could buy Tre Kroner. No, not a model but the actual fortification was on sale. I think it had been a restaurant, conference center, but probably not enough visitors.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Aaand not too long ago you could buy Tre Kroner. No, not a model but the actual fortification was on sale. I think it had been a restaurant, conference center, but probably not enough visitors.
    I wonder how much that went for? The Spitbank Fort the Solent went for a massive price. In 2009 it was put on sale for £800,000 but was sold before auction, reportedly for more than £1m. The fort was remodelled, with works reportedly costing around £8m, and opened in 2012 as a luxury spa hotel and retreat with nine bedroom suites.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Would this be of use Jonas?

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-mo...-pentagon-star

Found while searching, dont know anything about the company though

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looking good thus far Dobbs.

I await your completed fort with interest.
    My big problem with my forts from that source is the lack of suitable sized buildings for the inner works. My Langton ones look a bit small in comparison.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Thanks, Chris.

I'm not that fond of the angles and looks of it. I think it tells that it's made for a bigger scale and the cartoony look it gets from trying to be high enough for the miniatures without taking up the entire tabletop.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I already have Tre Kroner from Langton, but I haven't seen anyone making Kastellet. (Which by the way means The Castle)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    I already have Tre Kroner from Langton, but I haven't seen anyone making Kastellet. (Which by the way means The Castle)
    In English, that would translate as the Little or small castle.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    In English, that would translate as the Little or small castle.
    Rob.
    Kastell is just Castle pronounced in Scandinavian. The word's probably so old that I don't know who got it from whom.

Kastellet is just The castle.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

And by the way, förkastell is forecastle in English, to bring it out to sea...

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I’ve been printing and painting guns.

Name:  3001B273-03FB-4F0B-8ACB-2BC8A24CC0CB.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  247.0 KB

Name:  469B600B-4876-4D6B-8788-911ED3BDE9D5.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  188.0 KB

Name:  6E948ABD-B410-48BE-89D8-A43221C22703.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  143.8 KB

Name:  D2BCDCE8-4C4E-4200-BB69-BBDF15544778.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  167.5 KB

Name:  53A3E298-3BA5-483A-9B6B-970A87FCD3CA.jpeg
Views: 543
Size:  55.5 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

At last, guns that look like guns rather than barrels attatched to blobs.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks forthe update on the ships DB. I just saw your E-mail.
    They look fine to me. i have been after those for almost ten years.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Thanks forthe update on the ships DB. I just saw your E-mail.
    They look fine to me. i have been after those for almost ten years.
    Rob.
    I know the feeling, old friend... the original Nexus Fokker D.VII's were the same way for me. Luckily an Aerodrome wingman in Australia found literally the last ones in the world and set a few of us up... just paying forward the help others have given me over the years. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well that is very thoughtful of you DB.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

El Morro? That'll keep you busy a while...

Rob's unholy-alliance squadron just tied up here for a port-call and a few days' liberty before starting home across the Atlantic. Still trying to find the motivation to hit that sandpaper on the masts...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Thankyou Timothy, looking great as far as Im concerned.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Bases are in International Arrivals down in San Fransucko, should be about another week.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My latest new toy arrived today.

Rob.

My latest new toy arrived today.

Rob.
    I have good experiences with the Army painter Mixing Balls.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You can put balls in this paint to aid mixing, but I have not needed them so far, although I have only mixed four paints up to now, but one was pretty far gone and stirred up O.K.
    Rob.

You can put balls in this paint to aid mixing, but I have not needed them so far, although I have only mixed four paints up to now, but one was pretty far gone and stirred up O.K.
    Rob.
    I use waterbased colours and if time goes by, they get thick. A few drops of water and two mixing balls transfer them into perfect condition again. It's worth a try.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Bases are in International Arrivals down in San Fransucko, should be about another week.
    That's not bad going DB I only posted them last weekend.

Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

That's not bad going DB I only posted them last weekend.

Rob.
    Funny thing is, it was in my post office building this morning, but only processed for delivery (in this case I'm going to have to go to a counter and pick it up) two hours after I was out the door.

Oh well, I was gonna have to slog through the line Wednesday anyway between your package and a few others... :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

We found that if we go to our Post Office about 2 in the afternoon it is almost empty, at any other time we are queuing down the street.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today, for the first time in weeks I managed an hour on my Froja.
    Here is the progress thus far.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Nice! Good to see some work done here, and especially on a Swedish frigate!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

All thanks to your goodself Jonas.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20210712_192134.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  156.2 KB

I found some time to work on the dry moat today. This might be my first time routering foam. It's a completely different tedium than routering hardwoods.

My plan is to make this a corner piece since it's rather large (15"x 18").

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looking good thus far Dobbs. I hope yoy wore a mask for the Routing. That fine foam dust is cronic. Making large items a corner is always a good move. All my seaports are done like that.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just spotted the Rep Dobbs. Thanks very much.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Looking good thus far Dobbs. I hope yoy wore a mask for the Routing. That fine foam dust is cronic. Making large items a corner is always a good move. All my seaports are done like that.

Rob.
    Thanks, Rob, I most certainly did wear a nice filter mask. I had to have my sinuses cleared a few years back and want to avoid a repeat if possible!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I had mine reamed out and de coked the week before we should have been going to Prague Con a few years ago and had to missit because the durgeon advised me that rapid changes in pressure would not be a good idea for a week or two. Mind you he had also rebroken and straightened my nose for a fracture I did not know that I had, so I got a bogof. As you say not something I would relish going through again.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

That is one good looking star fort.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Inbound package of bases/sails etc secured, outbound on the way--tracking info out and detailed inventory received so we can start working the settle-up once I'm back at the keyboard in a few hours. (Sorry, I hate emailing from the tablet even with a keyboard, Gmail app flat sucks next to Thunderbird.)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Great DB. I hate even having to use Mrs Bligh's laptop when we are away. It is just not what I'm used to. small keyboard. No mouse, and page layout different. Even some icons are different. Why can't they standardize for partially sighted people?
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

So, the verdict on Sails in Plano 3730 cases:
    1. Absolute largest ship that will fit is Bucentaure, it ONLY fits in the end cells of the three main rows. Even then, you have to use EXTREME caution and remove the divider first, place the stern toward the outer edge, lower it as far as it will go then gently nudge the jib out of the divider's way and then carefully place the deck and log. (Which are another point of caution, they fill ALL the width not used by the main spars.)
    2. Center cells are unusable unless you Dremel out the divider slots.
    3. Latch row end cells are completely unusable except for based ships with an extreme length less than 76mm. Even then you have to stand them on their stern.
    4. In all cases, I would suggest setting up some foam tubes to drop in beside the masts--the bases do not allow ANY clearance for adding stickyback foam sheets.

I can see them working well for 64's and smaller, but 74's and up (except the undersize Spanish ones) and oversize Constitution require a different solution.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thank you for that very concise appraisal of the parameters and functionality of the Plano 3730 cases DB.
    I'm sure that will ensure all shipmates embarking down that route will be well aware of the pitfalls of the system.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Forcing a 3730 to work, I'd Dremel a slot for the mastheads in each row then superglue a plastic sheet onto the outside of the lid for a new "top plate." Ares jibs are flexible enough that Bucentaure can work, a Turner or Mann or any other miniature of equal length is No Bueno.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Another option, though it's $25 a pop... I found this Ridgid 10-compartment organizer at Home Depot though I didn't pick one up--I can get three Planos and Dremel 'em out for MUCH higher bang-for-buck in both dollars and cubic inches.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-P...anizer-238093/
    Compartments are two 4x7x3-3/4" and six 4x3x3-3/4. For based ships with a jib-tip-to-base-rear length 3" or less they might work.

Has anyone here finished and based a Turner threedecker to get X/Y/Z-axis dimensions?

For lower numbers, if you could get the jibs to slide side by side to fit two per slot this Harbor Freight box might work...
    https://www.harborfreight.com/abs-st...zer-95807.html

As another possibility, given that the Plano 3730 "main" row layout is two double cells at the ends and four single cells in the middle, if you're busting out the Dremel anyway it might work to hog out the end rows into two quads and interleave the jibs on two ships per section, using the latch row for logs/decks/etc...

Another possibility by DeWalt:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-1...4825/203367153

2 large compartments each 6 inch x 4 inch x 3.5 inch (3x anything up to First Rate)
    8 small compartments each 4 1/8 inch x 3 inch x 3.5 inch (2x anything below 3" jib-tip-to-base-rear)
    My first thought on these would be to buy two. Swap the large compartments from one for four smalls from the other; build up the large-comps case case with a British and French SOL squadron and the other with frigate squadrons, using the small sections left in the first case for logs/decks/etc. Expanding to a second set, similarly set up with opposed British and Spanish squadrons.
    At $20 a pop, at this rate you still might as well stick to Plano & Dremel... more bang for both buck and cubic inch still.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 07-16-2021 at 20:24.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sounds like your plano system is the way to go DB.

Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

IF my eye is right that you could get 18 ships into the $6 Harbor Freight box that combined with another storage solution, or 16 plus paperwork... well, 18/$6 is a buck per three ships' capacity while the Plano at 12/$8 is a dollar per 1.5 ships, PLUS labor and parts for modifications. I'll try to remember to check 'em out next time I'm in HF.

I mean, if I had an ATM up my butt where I could crap money at will I'd look at the DeWalt or an even bigger Stanley (for FIFTY USD!) that uses the same compartments for my collection... but if I had that kind of money to throw at it I'd have the kind of money that your Kickstarter ships, Chris's decal sheets and a couple friends in the Netherlands and Germany's thousand bucks in plastic dinos would have been dispatched by charter jet and armed courier.

And here's a painting I found that *might* justify a little more color than blue-and-bare-wood on Victory, leaving the Channel under Hood in 1793. Question is, is the different color of the UD planking reflecting lighting conditions, different wood or a genuine paint application?
    Last edited by Diamondback; 07-17-2021 at 01:22.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks like a trick of the light to me or an attempt to show the weathering effects by the artist DB.

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 07-17-2021 at 04:57.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

The old lateen mizzen is gonna be a nightmare, too.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Its a shading effect to show the effect of light and also to bring out the tumblehome of the ship's hull. But painting a model to reflect that would be OK

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for your appraisal Dave.
    Rob.