Size:  85.5 KB

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Happy Independence Day!

Though I suspect across the Pond it's more like a quietly muttered this...

:P
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

HA !!!! Although it is a day bittersweet with historical possibilities for me.....my Mom's family lost a significant tract of land in the Hudson River Valley granted by King George for actively siding with the Crown in the Revolution....one branch of the family had to flee to Canada for safety!

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

One thing that should be noted... for all the Loyalists who never got compensated for their losses as the terms of Ghent required, it's worth noting that the rat bastards that made up the Confederation Government weren't any better about honoring any of their other contracts or debts. If memory serves, George Washington had to pay many Continental soldiers when the Army disbanded out of his own pockets, and was never reimbursed. Most of the signers of the Declaration of Independence died either horrible deaths or destitute.

These were men who had everything to gain from Status Quo Ante Bellum, and everything to LOSE by trying to depart from it... which tells you how important they must have considered whatever each of them turned down Revolutionary Road for.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Happy Independence Day!

Though I suspect across the Pond it's more like a quietly muttered this...

:P
    I think you guys have made up for it over the years DB. I have left my own tribute on your US Forum so as not to ruffle any feathers, Bald Eagle or Turkey.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I think you guys have made up for it over the years DB. I have left my own tribute on your US Forum so as not to ruffle any feathers, Bald Eagle or Turkey.
    Rob.
    One of those grand illustrations of how both in life and history, sometimes what immediately looks like a setback brings unexpected benefits later, from Algiers (I still say it's a shame Chauncey couldn't have stuck around to assist Exmouth in finishing the job) to the West African Squadron against the slave trade and ultimately the Atlantic Bridge that preserved Western Civilization.

Eventually the kids gotta leave home and find their own way... if for no other reason than to be in a position where they CAN come to the rescue when major problems arise. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

In honor of Independence Day, here is an article discussing when Americans lost their British accents:

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/...ritish-accents

A related pet peeve of mine is that most Americans believe that Paul Revere, Billy Dawes, et al. galloped through the Boston suburbs yelling "The British are coming!" when in fact EVERYBODY at that time was British -- what was reportedly said was "the Regulars are out!" -- much less prosaic but probably more accurate.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Well said, Bill. "The Redcoats are coming!" would have been plausible too.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Interesting gents. The fact that we spoke very similar English at the time of the revolution apart from the fact that we Brits would have more noticable local dialects ourselves at that time made our sojourn in Williamsburg much easier to explain to the tourists why we spoke as we did. A sailor from Bristol would speak very differently than one from London, Nelson's Norfolk accent, or a native of Yorkshire like Captain Cook. As for Newcastle, Liverpool, or Scotland. Some locals almost seemed to be speaking a different language altogether. you only need to look at Chaucer, Shakespeare, or the King James Bible to see how even English transmuted over three hundred years or so.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.