United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Default Fallen Masts

I was pondering if this would be fun or bog things down:

Falling Masts
    When a ship takes a mast hit, the player draws 2 “E” chits. On any result other than double casualties, the mast falls to leeward. On a double casualty draw the mast falls to windward. If the vessel is heading directly downwind, with the wind in the yellow arc astern, the player draws a single “E” chit and on a 0 the mast falls to port. On a casualty, the mast falls to starboard.

If the player chooses to fire a side blocked by a fallen mast, the full broadside strength is limited to the highest available partial broadside strength. In addition to this, if he chooses to fire, he must draw two more “E” chits. A double casualty result indicates that the muzzle flashes have started a fire.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Interesting idea. Would cutting a fallen mast away reduce the fire hazard, and was that a thing done back then?

Personally, I'd assume a broken mast to be just deadweight to be gotten rid of ASAP...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

All sounds reasonable to me. We treat fallen masts as causing the ship to follow the fallen mast movement cards until cut away and then go back to normal movement but only at the slowest speed on its movement card. It would be interesting to add this modification.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Uwe

What do you think of the variant:
    If a broken mast arrives, the ship must immediately swap the next course card already on display for a broken mast card drawn blind!
    This increases the effect of a mast break and the drawn card means "the side" is also chosen. This is established by placing a "Fallen Masts" marker on the side of the base where the mast fell.

Optionally, you can limit the usable deck of the "Fallen Masts" to the page. Either decrease Windward's deck because he's more likely to fall Leeward.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

We have done this sometimes and applied it until the repair is completed. We have also done it for hits on the steering.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.