Thread: Lottery for place on the USS Constitution for its July 4 Turnaround Cruise

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Default Lottery for place on the USS Constitution for its July 4 Turnaround Cruise

Entries must be in today (see electronic form below)-- sail around Boston Harbor on Old Ironsides for its annual July 4 "turnaround" cruise:

https://einvitations.afit.edu/inv/in...k=0461430D7C57

Here's an older news report with some photos of the cruise:

https://northendwaterfront.com/2013/...harbor-photos/

One of the highlights of the cruise is Old Ironsides firing a 17 gun salute, answered by a 21 gun salute from Fort Independence. Here are some images:

Name:  USS Constitution fires guns 2.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  13.6 KB

Name:  USS_Constitution_fires_a_17-gun_salute.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  167.3 KB
    Last edited by Wentworth; 06-17-2021 at 08:22.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for the update Bill.
    I hope some of the shipmates States side can avail themselves of this great opportunity.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

That would be a trip to remember.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It certainly would Jonas. We are still talking about our visit to the Hermione in Yorktown.
    Unfortunately we are prevented from visiting this event by the dratted Covid regs.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Covid regs stop a lot of activities and I have had 55 bottles of whisky in Denmark waiting for me to pick it up. It's still on topic as it's a Nautical tipple... We called our own bottling "Islanders" due to my brother and stepdad, who has as many bottles of their own there too, are moving to Åland now, and there's pictures of us while sailing on the brig Tre Kronor af Stockholm.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Many states here in the U.S. have hit the 70% vaccination rate and are loosening or eliminating COVID regulations -- my state (NY) has a sufficient vaccination rate to open up pretty much everything.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Sweden never shut down so ur neighbors don’t let us in. I’ve isolated and got my two shots, but that’s not the norm. Denmark has had 1/5th as many deaths as us and Norway 1/12th.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

We were about to drop all restrictions on June the 21st, but the date has been extended for four weeks whilst they assess this new D strain which is hitting the un vaccinated hard. They have now opened up vaccinations to th 18 to 30 age groups as 80% of adults have now had one jab and over 50% both. The main problem here is still the travel restrictions on foreign trips, unless you want to go to St. Helena, or South Georgia.

Rob.

In California, many of the Covid restrictions were lifted on June 15th. Some still remain in place such as masks indoors at large events and individual stores can require masks for unvaccinated customers if they choose. Hopefully, we are all on the road to recovering from this pandemic.
    "It seems to be law inflexible and inexorable that he who will not risk cannot win."
    John Paul Jones