Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Default Whats on your workbench for June

11 hulls finished and an improved line up of what ships to do. It's grown a bit.

Name:  8369A5CE-A3F0-45BC-935B-4F00C0E9AB22.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  207.0 KB

I need to print more ships, but until then it’s finally time to start on the big guys.

Name:  DA2904F5-30CB-47C6-9CE7-4A67BD6C2063.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  173.0 KB

Purissima conception and Real Carlos.

It takes a while to get to know the model, where you can easily get a good effect and where it’s just too much work that won’t even be seen at all.

Name:  2A13DA22-5583-4A2A-AB01-FCB8FFFD5E91.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  138.9 KB
    Last edited by TexaS; 05-31-2021 at 23:33.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Jonas do you have the Montanes model from Simon?
    If so could you post a close up pic please, am contemplating buying this myself

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

The two last pictures above have Simon Mann's Meregildos, with Henry Turner's San José behind.

These below are all pictures of Simon Manns models.

Montañes-class:

As DB earlier asked for paint schemes class for class I thought I'd start by giving the Montañes as they are all finished.

Montañes:

Neptuno:

Argonauta:

Monarca:

San Ildefonso:

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Do you prefer one designers style above the other Jonas?

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Nice, thanks

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Do you prefer one designers style above the other Jonas?

Rob.
    Very hard to say. It's the small things. I prefer Simon's deck planks to Henry's, but I prefer Henry's distinct forepeak. I prefer Simon's more sturdy catheads, but I prefer sculpted lanterns, that Henry do. I used to prefer Henry's sculpted stern galleries where you could just drybrush gold and it would be finished, but now with my magnifying glass lamp I find it's kind of inspiring to paint the stern galleries shown above. I think I prefer Henry's stern gallery windows, but I've found that Simon's are ok too.

It all falls down to that generally Henry's are a little more beautiful ships, but a little more fragile. Simon's are a little more of gaming pieces. Both are incredibly much better than what was available just two-tree years ago. I don't think they both have done the same ship yet, so I'd let the ship you want decide and get it from either.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Oh! I prefer to have a sculpted figurehead as on Simon's instead of an empty bow as on Henry's. I have painted my own figureheads but it's hard to get them good and the general golden blob I tried at first looks a bit bad compared to the others. I probably have to repaint that.

This differs between ships, as I think you've seen, Rob.. What I don't think you've seen, is that the name of the ship Venus is actually spelled on the model. I doubt I could paint that even in 1:700 scale.
    Last edited by TexaS; 06-02-2021 at 06:28.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I had not noticed Venus Jonas. I'm still marvelling over the ships bells.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here are a few pictures of the Tripoli model now populated with ships.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Outstanding work Rob! Such attention to detail from furled lateen sails to docks to the flag flying over the fort to .....etc, etc, etc! Excellent.
    Anthony
    "It seems to be law inflexible and inexorable that he who will not risk cannot win."
    John Paul Jones

Yep, it looks like a photograph of the real port!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thank you for your comments and the Rep Vol.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

That is truly amazing work, Rob!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    I don't think they both have done the same ship yet, so I'd let the ship you want decide and get it from either.
    I see that they have both done the same ship. Not Santissima Trinidad that they both have, they have her before or after rebuilt stern gallery, but both have San José and San Juan Nepomuceno.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Have a ton of paints on order from Sprue Brothers, so hopefully I can get Tremendous and Invincible into the painting docks next week, then down to the long and tedious chore of sanding/filing/thinning the masts and sails before I start painting those.

Ganges's bulwarks are done, so as soon as the other two have their whitewalls it's time to start painting cannons.

Next up, find a US based printer who has licenses for Henry and Simon's models, and get some replacement Meregildos and SJN's (and a Bahama if either has one that's up to correct length) on the way while I see if Cross-Pond shipping is a possibility on Capn Duff's aftermarket bases. And gotta get measurements off an Ares base... my neighbor at the glass shop thinks my case project is smaller than any of his suppliers can do at an affordable price, but is definitely game for assisting on the materials-and-manufacturing-knowledge part of planning it.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I had not noticed Venus Jonas. I'm still marvelling over the ships bells.

Rob.
    As I know you're about to paint up a Bellona-frigate I started one too. Damn. I hoped to get further along with my Spanish fleet before any sidetracks came along.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Really sorry if I am sidetracking you Jonas.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I accidentally got superglue on my brush and had to order new ones. Well, I’ll have to show you my unfinished Swedish frigate so you can get some inspiration, Rob.

Name:  FCCDE683-EEEA-4A40-AA09-C21B2C2ADA0A.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  141.7 KB

Name:  3BD209B9-3BAB-4E38-9FDF-CBCC59815819.jpg
Size:  155.5 KB

Name:  81B697AC-95E8-43CD-8A9A-9B4D130A5702.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  127.6 KB

Name:  A7E62C95-9093-45B8-8E99-26F03468F207.jpeg
Views: 596
Size:  138.4 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Odd thing that Jonas. For the first time ever I wrote off two brushes from Super Glue last week whilst doing my Tripoli model. Even though I soaked one in Super Glue solvent it had gone west.
    Thanks for the pictures they will help me a lot with my ships.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

That's odd. It's been many years, perhaps decades since I did it last, but it has happened to me before.

I just guess the stars are right, as they say in Lovecraftian horrorstories.

I can't paint details, but I can still dry brush a deck. It might get me back to the Spanish. There's a lot of decks to get started on there now.

Brushes are cleaned with acetone. In this way the superglue dissolves and the brush is operational again. Warning: the brush should only be inserted up to the bristles, otherwise, if we insert up to the handle, it may melt depending on the material it is made of.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Right on Julián. I have melted the paint on wooden brush handles like that, and had the ferrule come off because I melted the glue line holding it on.

Rob.

Julian is correct. Acetone is the only way to remove superglue from a brush.

And Jonas, I do believe that is the prettiest Bellona class frigate I have seen!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now ready to start my real June workbench. Finally got my primer.
    Swedish Frigates now primed and ready to start painting tomorrow.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Thank you Vol.

I haven't painted the gun barrels black on the deck yet. I also wanted to paint three crowns on the blue shield. There's some touch up on the yellow lines and there's supposed to be another yellow line along the poop. Well at least I've started painting the decks of the rest of the Spanish ships of the line.

The 64 was a really nice model, so thank you for the tips.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I only hope I can do mine that much justice.
    Rob.

I accidentally got superglue on my brush and had to order new ones. Well, I’ll have to show you my unfinished Swedish frigate so you can get some inspiration, Rob.

Name:  FCCDE683-EEEA-4A40-AA09-C21B2C2ADA0A.jpg
Size:  141.7 KB

Name:  3BD209B9-3BAB-4E38-9FDF-CBCC59815819.jpg
Size:  155.5 KB

Name:  81B697AC-95E8-43CD-8A9A-9B4D130A5702.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  127.6 KB

Name:  A7E62C95-9093-45B8-8E99-26F03468F207.jpeg
Views: 596
Size:  138.4 KB
    Nice lines, good paint work .....10/ 10

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Sprue Brothers delivered! Latest revamp on the toolkit...

The leatherette pouch is a small-blde modeling knife, file and tweezers plus my pinvise, bits and sanding sticks; the two pill bottles are for my bottle-cap palettes.

Right now teeing up to rework all lanterns and windows with Tamiya X-13 Metallic Blue, then get the white onto Tremendous and Invincible. Then comes the slog of cleaning up joints and thinning masts before I can start priming them...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

And the start of Tremendous and Invincible... yes, there's a new blue there, Tamiya paints are MUCH less forgiving both in fumes and cure time than Vallejo.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Most interesting to see the different set ups and ways we all have of tackling our painting and building of ships DB.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    Nice lines, good paint work .....10/ 10
    Thank you.

The lines I have to thank Fredrik Henrik af Chapman for. She is a truly beautiful ship. You can see a little bit of the hull shapes of following ship types like the clippers.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

They are indeed most beautiful ships Jonas.
    Now mine are undercoated I am looking forward to getting them painted next week.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I'm looking forward to see what you will make of them. Another example of how Swedish ships were painted:

Name:  Forsiktigheten.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  146.7 KB

This is Försiktigheten (1784), a 64 gun ship of the line, but it's the same basic paint scheme. Model of her from 1790 from Sjöhistoriska museet in Stockholm. Worth noting that the red and blue have paled with age.
    Last edited by TexaS; 06-05-2021 at 14:57.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for this addition Jonas.
    That will give me a bit of variety.
    Rob.

Thank you Vol.

I haven't painted the gun barrels black on the deck yet. I also wanted to paint three crowns on the blue shield. There's some touch up on the yellow lines and there's supposed to be another yellow line along the poop. Well at least I've started painting the decks of the rest of the Spanish ships of the line.

The 64 was a really nice model, so thank you for the tips.
    You are more than welcome Jonas. I have printed four 64s. No painting of anything yet. But I have built seven 3rd rate and five 1st rate mast sets in my spare time.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I'm looking forward to see what you will make of them. Another example of how Swedish ships were painted:

Name:  Forsiktigheten.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  146.7 KB

This is Försiktigheten (1784), a 64 gun ship of the line, but it's the same basic paint scheme. Model of her from 1790 from Sjöhistoriska museet in Stockholm. Worth noting that the red and blue have paled with age.
    Thought I had posted about this previously, but apparently not. If I were looking to replicate that scheme with Vallejo paints, I'd start with an 843 Cork Brown or 856 Ochre Brown base hull, then an 862 Black Gray strake and 820 Off-White waterline, with 926 Red port lids and 996 Gold trim; not sure what I'd do for the blue to correct for fading.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Status of the Spanish fleet…

Name:  7C7FB993-BC1C-40F1-9868-FE58C7E3D20C.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  220.9 KB

Hulls with the printing supports removed are finished. All are started…

From right to left: Nepomuceno-class, Ildefonso-class, Montañes and 64s, Fenix and San José and Santissima at the end, and finally Meregildos.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Impressive Jonas.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

It's easy to print a lot of ships. What will be impressive is when they are fitted with masts and ready to sail.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

It's easy to print a lot of ships. What will be impressive is when they are fitted with masts and ready to sail.
    Don't forget the painting in between... my 000 brush is getting a workout. LOL
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

That is true, Db.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Latest in my ragtag little "multinational anachronistic fleet": Many of these need their lanterns done, and most need some work on their beakheads for believable "Visual ID" colors when viewed from above. Anybody have any suggestions on suitable colors for the "Whitewalls" era?

Fun size comparison between Intrepid and Purisima Concepcion:

Grouped the PC's and the two Intrepids together for ease of shoot... the three three-deckers and Polyphemus (the de-rafted two-decker) only need minor touchup, mast drilling and gundeck batteries painted, while America (the other two-decker) also needs her QD/FC cannons done.

Similar with the four Canadas: Majestic (far/right) is down to gundeck batteries and touchup; Canada, Captain and Orion all need their QD/FC cannon tubes too.

And the five Ganges: Culloden (yellow with black band) and Invincible (two white stripes) ready for final touchup other than gundeck batteries; Ganges (solid yellow) and Minden need QD/FC cannon tubes, and Tremendous (fat white stripe) needs her gun carriages.

Taking lighting in Minden's reference painting into account I now wonder if she shouldn't be white rather than babypuke, but...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for that DB. I knew there was something I needed to order. New fine brushes! I have been doing the terrain for so long with big brushes and drybrush work that I forgot the demise of my fine brushes.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I'm just going to collect the package with my new brushes.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Name:  A2B767E3-C822-4F0A-A6B9-17833D13219E.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  121.3 KB

Name:  0EBB4C20-2B97-4FC0-9484-3F7AB43EFA2B.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  113.5 KB

Name:  92331E20-602D-49ED-959F-A42B5055A3F1.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  122.2 KB

Name:  DC4715FD-8BC5-4938-8F9F-BD49D117EE14.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  141.3 KB

I got the brushes.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good. I'm just getting an order up myself for some and a few more paints.

Rob.