Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ship Bases

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Thanks, Chris. Did you end up with bang-on 107, or was there an "adding a few more cuts the price" threshold that we need to make up some extras on?
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hi DB, no extras they had the kit for 107, the item which is costly is the perspex apparently

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Having experienced purchasing perspex over the years, I can vouch for its expense, and that would be even more if they are buying it in ready cut to size.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

The bases have arrived, plus we did get a bit of discount, cost per base works out at £0.95.
    I will let you know once I have worked out best way to get items to you all.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Chris and a bit of Kudos for your efforts on our behalf.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Thank you Rob

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Chris, I'm gonna suggest make it a nice round even pound each--get a little something for your time, effort and trouble. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I concur DB.

Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Very kind of you gents, thank you.
    Tomorrow I will try to get a pic of the bases painted up to show
    Last edited by Capn Duff; 07-03-2021 at 04:49.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

And if you decide to post an open sale on a future batch, make it 1.25--you did the work, you should have the chance to see not just return OF your investment but ON it too. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

So the bases are now on their way to most of us now.
    If any further or even new orders are needed let me know and I will contact the makers, if you wish to orders yourelves then let me know and Ill post the details.
    I will be contacting them soon anyway to let them know all is good and asking if they intend to keep the bases or if we were a one off.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Just picked up my mounting magnets today! 2.79 for 10 at Harbor Freight, picked up six packs to do 15 ships. Figure I'll see how firmly they attach with just one at each end, and add middles if needed. (If not, that just means I have supplies for the next 15...)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Harbour Freight seems very apt DB.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I think I made the right choice, these little buggers are deceptively strong for their size--a pack of ten sticks to my metal doorframes even through all the packaging, and just in their protective tubes fifty of 'em clustered together quite readily latched onto and held my pocketknife hanging from them. (Bear in mind, this is the biggest blade you can legally carry where I live, PLUS the added weight of a small flashlight, magnesium firestarter, strap cutter, glass breaker and bottle opener all built into its grip!)

At this rate, I think I only need one magnet and one washer at each end of each ship... then I need some filler underneath.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I think by now all of us have received their new bases, so what is the general thoughts on these, worth it, absolute rubbish, a fair start ?
    Any feedback from you chaps as to the bases worth and if value ok or not?

I have now glued all my bases , using a white PVA glue and left overnight to dry.
    I then painted the whole bases Army Painter Warpaints Deep Blue.

I await you feedback. Gentlemen

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

The one modification I see myself making to these as they are is drilling holes to mount my mini-magnets. I definitely plan on buying more if they're available when fleet expansion warrants.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As far as I am concerned Chris, they are better and cheaper than my acrylic ones, which needed cutting to size and then after gluing over the ship base card had to be edge sanded and scraped to refine the surface before painting. This is much easier and gives the option of double sideing the Base card or not as in the official ones so much better all round.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Field testing and mockup results: One REM and a small washer is a weak connection--to securely hold a ship requires either 3-4 washers and magnets, or a magnet on each side at each attachment point.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 07-15-2021 at 20:58.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Interesting findings DB. So either way it looks like a four magnet job!
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Interesting findings DB. So either way it looks like a four magnet job!
    Rob.
    Yeah. Using double-layer magnets raises the ship a litte above the outer lip, while the washers bring it right about to lip height. Once I get one glued together, I'm gonna see about taping four washers to San Josef's bottom and see if "strength in numbers" is sufficient or if I'm gonna have to do it the expensive way.

Still trying to decide whether my best option for blackening washers is break out the Sharpie paint-marker or see if my gunsmith can slip 'em into the tank next time he has a Parkerizing job come up...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Testing results...

Standard of Acceptability: Mounting solution must hold the heaviest possible model onto the base when held upside down. Test model is Turner Purisima Concepcion.
    Base Magnet Mounting: Underneath bottom of base--I don't have my drill handy, and as a bonus while a more challenging method it allows more flexibility in test magnet placement.

Two magnets plus two washers: FAIL. Wouldn't even hold the ship in place against me BREATHING on it.
    Four magnets plus four washers: FAIL. More resistive but ship still moves when base bumped.
    Two magnets under base plus two on ship: FAIL. Ship is more hesitant but still moves.
    Three " plus three " : CONDITIONAL Pass. Holds, but very dependent on bow and stern magnet pairs in close proximity.

Optimal solution so far: Determine minimum ship-length. Place two magnets that ship-length apart plus one at longitudinal center on base bottom; superglue two 3/16" washers at each corner as "feet." Place second group of three magnets on top of base, aligned with bottom magnets, smear with superglue and place ship on top. Stack double-layer 3/16" or smaller washers (to match model waterline beam on upper; lower can be wider) between the magnets as stabilizers since these magnets are usually narrow.

EDIT - Ideal solution: Drill two holes in base, 28mm over extreme edges, to glue REM's into; mount one washer at each end of ship spaced to fit with magnets. Two REM's in direct contact with the glass is strong enough to hold the biggest of 1/1000 Napoleonic-era ships even against gravity itself.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 07-26-2021 at 15:35.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Has a word with the chaps who made the bases, they are not putting on general sale as yet, but if anyone needs/wants any more bases they will supply, let me know when anyone requires more and I will start the ball rolling, or should that be bases swimming

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for your work on this Chris. I also saw your post which included demonstrating them at shows, which should help create a market for those who either print or have printed ships, or indeed those who build their own with models from other suppliers.
    Rob..

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

With a plethora of new hulls in my grubby mits and the plan to be printing off more hulls shortly I am going to see about ordering some more bases, does anyone else require/ want/ need any of the sails bases ?

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I haven't bought any white glue yet (my old got bad) so I'm going to hold off a little until I have finished some to see how I like them.

Initially they are great, don't get me wrong. I just don't know how it'll work without the peg holding it together. I've used blue tack on the Ares bases. I don't know how that will work out and until then, I'll wait a bit.

My thinking is gluing the ship to transparent plastic and then blue tack the top to the base and still have the possibility to change the ship card.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I myself have tried two methods
    First was to drill into the hull and make my own peg with plastic rod, however not tight so used blutac in the corners.
    Second was to glue hull to the perspex with glue and blutac perspex into the corners of base. However this method be careful picking up the base as it can come apart.

Both work ok, not sure yet which I prefer. Would like to peg all hulls but not all the hulls are big enough to have a hole drilled i to for peg fitting.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

What I have been doing thus far is to drill out for a steel pin in the ship base, Super glue that in and drill a
    corresponding hole in the base. Then add super glue to the pin and push it through the base. This of course precluded the ship having an alter ego, but I seldom do that anyway. I have both copies of almost all the Ares ships, excepting the Kickstarters, and intend to do the same for the new ships as and when I need them.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I’m painting my Spanish navy to have the ships that were at Trafalgar with the correct paint for 1805. Moreover I’m painting ships for Cape St Vincent, but since the Spanish had 27 ships there I don’t want to have to make them in addition to the Trafagar fleet, but be able to switch names on them and do Cape St Vincent with many fully correct, some speculative, and some just substituted. Otherwise my Spanish fleet would grow towards 50 instead of the 30 I’m aiming for now.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I can understand that Jonas. looks like we need to get our thinking caps on then.

Rob.