Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Default Sails sighted on the horizon.

Am I wrong or has the forum picked up speed lately.

I’ve always been reading, but didn’t post much until I printed the hulls from Henry’s Kickstarter. Others have also been working on the printed hulls.

Did 3D printing blow new life into Sails of Glory?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You may well be right in your observation Jonas. I think Henry has proved to be the Shapeways of Sails.
    You could say his Kickstarter gave us one as well. Just shows what could have been if Ares had kept them coming.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Totally agree, I know we are a niche, but I think Henry et al have given us a push for more.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I know at least SOMEBODY at Ares knows about these because I've mentioned them to Andrea A. (and right now everyone at Ares is quiet as the grave), but perhaps someone should point out the Lost Sales that COULD have been theirs. Henry and Simon Mann may have been just the barest push that keeps Sails from foundering in this time of isolation--even my old neighbor that runs a glass shop is trying to figure out if any of the supplies he gets for windows could be adapted into custom bases to try to help get the fleet seaworthy.

Of course, if just as one example Ares slipstreams the Purisima Concepcions in on the Meregildos sculpt I'll still buy those packs, I'll just swap whatever MacGyver bases and homebrew paper I use in the interim for the official counterparts.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

It has been a joy to see the new enthusiasm and to watch what you guys are doing with the new ships!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It has certainly injected a bit of spirit into me Vol. Just when lockdown was starting to get to me.
    Things are certainly looking up.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I did think that working from home and having to stay home during free time would give a lot of free time and a lot of activity here, but for me it was more or less the opposite.

Henry's Kickstarter and finding Simon's ships gave me inspiration and it seems others too.

My only dread is that when the Spanish fleet is done I will have to tackle the Spanish ships' stats. With the models too small I could just ignore the Spanish all together.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    My only dread is that when the Spanish fleet is done I will have to tackle the Spanish ships' stats. With the models too small I could just ignore the Spanish all together.
    That's what you have an entire team on the Stats Committee to put shoulders alongside yours and heave on the lines for... :) My research into Egmont has suggested a tweak to her stats that might make her a good training target before we try to fix the Spanish... turns out that while she was refitted "Carronade Crazy" she was downgraded to the masts and yards of a 64. This suggests to me a couple relative comparisons...
    *Vs Regular Slade 74: Less sail area on same hull means slower and less maneuverable
    *Vs Regular 64: Bigger and heavier hull on same sail area means slower and less maneuverable
    So maybe downgrade Egmont to a B or H deck?
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Talking of ships sighted on the horizon DB. After a 3 week sojourn at Fort Worth, the ships which sailed from you arrived at Heathrow three days ago, and are now being subjected to the caring ministrations of UK Customs and excise. So with a fair wind behind them I may be seeing them soon.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Talking of ships sighted on the horizon DB. After a 3 week sojourn at Fort Worth, the ships which sailed from you arrived at Heathrow three days ago, and are now being subjected to the caring ministrations of UK Customs and excise. So with a fair wind behind them I may be seeing them soon.
    Rob.
    Dismaying that it took so long to get through Fort Worth... I have a buddy in Mexico who his job as a doctor keeps him shuttling between two towns month to month, and that delay could be the difference between his lootcrate arriving safely or disappearing.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I wonder if it is to do with staff shortages or Covid backlog DB? In the past packages from Keith have usually taken between ten to fourteen days to arrive here.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I wonder if it is to do with staff shortages or Covid backlog DB? In the past packages from Keith have usually taken between ten to fourteen days to arrive here.
    Rob.
    USPS is citing the latter, but we also have a real problem with "stimulus" handouts paying people more to NOT work than employers can pay them TO work. For example, many of the little mom-n-pop restaurants in my small town have had to cut hours to Breakfast-Lunch Only because they can't get and keep enough crew to have a second shift so they close right after peak lunch ends at 1PM.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I saw three ships come sailing in!

Look what arrived this morning DB.
    This now completes my collection of all the Ares ships.
    Thanks for your effort in enabling this.
    Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quite welcome, old friend.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

There is still the small matter of this £7 which I think I still owe you sir.

Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

If anything, I think I owe YOU an uncertain amount--if I'm wrong, make a donation to a veterans' or historical charity you trust and call it even. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Wilco that DB. Great idea.

Rob.