Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Default 2015 Solo Mission - When the Fog Lifts by Dobbs

This wasn’t how it was supposed to be. The brig had been bought to help the family dominate the New England textile market. Instead, her first voyage found Lacey Anne fitted out as a privateer. Captain Winthrop Doylee peered into the thick morning fog. He could feel the moisture saturating his frock coat and his lace cuffs and collar were hanging limp. It was a lucky thing that mother had a connection with General Washington and that his Excellency understood the value of sea power. A hastily scrawled note in his hand, and Winthrop Doylee the merchant became the dread Captain Winthrop Doylee, a licensed pirate sailing for the defense of the United States.

The plan was simple enough; all the locals knew that the brig Spitfire was the face of the Royal navy in these parts. Sink, burn or capture her and more men would see the possibilities of this adventure. General Washington would also see the value of placing his trust in the daring Captain Winthrop Doylee. Although after this, the British would probably see him as a pirate. to the locals and his Excellency, General Washington, he’d be an American privateer. Personally though, it was just business, and just a different way of cutting out the middleman. Doylee thought of himself merely as a merchant with an alternative lifestyle.

As the sun climbed a little higher, the fog turned to a heavy mist, and there, dead ahead and presenting her stern two cables to the east, lay Spitfire.

Name:  0.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  135.2 KB

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  67.6 KB

The obvious maneuver was to bear off and rake her before the British gathered their wits. Unfortunately, the Brits were already game. As Lacey Anne bore off, Spitfire luffed up. The resulting exchange dashed Doylee’s optimism. A full American broadside did less damage than the partial British one. Neither brig’s 6 pounders did much physical damage, but aboard the American brig, a fire broke out and a handful of her crew succumbed to the splinters from a shattered bulwark.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  151.0 KB

Spitfire slowed as she tacked through the wind and Lacey Anne closed range.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  140.7 KB

Name:  3a.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  80.6 KB

Spitfire completed her tack and Lacey Anne bore off just a pinch. Simultaneously, both crews unleashed their broadsides. The American full broadside was telling and started a small fire, while the English partial broadside did superficial damage but brought down more of her opponent’s crew.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  91.5 KB

Thinking that maybe things would turn in his favor at pistol shot, Doylee luffed his brig up. The English bore off and demonstrated at point blank range what the difference was in marksmanship between the Royal navy and colonial merchants.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  174.1 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Size:  113.5 KB

“Perhaps long range is better until one has an advantage,” Doylee mused. As the distance between the vessels grew, a series a splashes erupted off the transom, an affirmation from a British partial broadside.

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  58.7 KB

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  56.0 KB

During the lull brought on by being well out of range and strongly to windward, the remaining crew restored order to the brig. Doylee backed the foretopyard and braced the maintop around and Lacey Anne danced quickly through the eye of wind.

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  45.4 KB

As the range closed again, American long range gunnery proved to no avail, throwing only a curtain of spray over the English brig.

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  69.8 KB

The return volley from Spitfire’s 6 pounders also did no real damage, but continued to find prey among the American crew.

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  61.2 KB

At long range, the two brigs again exchanged broadsides. Smoke and noise seemed the biggest factors of both broadsides, though from the quarterdeck it did look like Spitfire may have taken a hit between the wind and the wave.

Name:  12.jpg
Size:  57.8 KB

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  155.2 KB

Knowing that Spitfire was going to be slow coming out of her tack, Doylee chose to close. At a range of less than half a cable, Lacey Anne’s 6 pounders smashed through Spitfire. Spitfire’s return fire almost went unnoticed except for a sharp crack as a ball carved a groove on the foredeck.

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  107.5 KB

Name:  15.jpg
Size:  108.0 KB

As the smoke swept off to leeward, Doylee followed it and put the helm down. If he could turn fast enough and bring the mostly unscathed starboard side to bear, it would be no contest. Lacey Anne would have twice the broadside strength as Spitfire. The English would have to yield!

Name:  16.jpg
Size:  119.7 KB

The crew fired the first starboard broadside, and the results were not impressive, but as Doylee had hoped, it was better than Spitfire’s return fire. It didn’t matter if it took a long while or a short one, Doylee mused, it was simple math. Spitfire could now only fire half the weight of Lacey Anne’s broadside. She would eventually have to submit.

Name:  17.jpg
Size:  101.4 KB

From his tiny raised quarterdeck, Doylee peered at his brig’s waist. After all of the gunfire, things still looked pretty orderly. The great guns were being reloaded again and run out, but the crew looked sparce. It didn’t seem like they had been at this business very long, but it looked like there were only about thirty men still on deck.

As Doylee brought Lacey Anne onto a close reach, he thought that this had come out better than he had dared to hope. Now, either way the British brig turned, she would end up trading broadsides in an uneven match. Spitfire’s only other option would leave her wide open to a bow rake.

Name:  18.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  118.7 KB

Doylee stared in amazement as the English brig stood on directly into a bow rake. Lacey Anne’s broadside roared and he watched Spitfire’s bowsprit crumple under the onslaught. With a crack and a rush, Spitfire’s foretopsail yard fell to her foredeck. Even wounded, she held to her course. With a splintering crash, Spitfire drove her mangled beakhead into Lacey Anne’s starboard side. Strangely, on the quarterdeck, the air was filled with the whine of hornets. No, not hornets, it was musketfire from Spitfire’s exposed foretop. In Lacey Anne’s waist, men were struggling and clashing as the Spitfires tried to board. Amongst the men caught in hand to hand fighting, other Lacey Annes struggled to reload and run their guns out for another broadside. Doylee wrestled with the scene. Spitfire was done, she was a wreck. Why wouldn’t the British stop fighting? Again, Lacey Anne’s broadside roared, and as the smoke cleared, the scene changed once more. On the English brig, the flag came down. A lone lieutenant was yelling that it was over. Slowly, the noise and chaos subsided. Through the scattered men, someone pushed forward and handed Doylee a sword. He acknowledged it and leaned on a pipe rail, trying to will his hands not to shake. This was not at all like merchanting.

Name:  19.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  111.3 KB

The Butcher’s Bill. Until the rake, damage between the two brigs was running pretty even and the British had definitely gotten the upper hand with crew damage. It was only by two raking broadsides while entangled that the Lacy Annes were able to overwhelm the Spitfires by destroying their vessel.

Name:  20.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  200.4 KB
    Last edited by Dobbs; 05-06-2021 at 06:14.

Great AAR. Exciting battle and a well done narrative. Its nice to see an action between two brigs during the AWI. Anthony
    "It seems to be law inflexible and inexorable that he who will not risk cannot win."
    John Paul Jones

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Superb action Dobbs, and brings into focus what I am currently reading. I could be there, Your description of the sail and running gear damage is the knowledge of a true sailor and adds such a lot to the narrative.
    Only one problem which we are both going to have in this era is that of colours for the American and the Brits. I have tried experimenting with removable flag staffs and did not like the way they either came out too easily or turned round in the hole just when I ws going to photograph the action. Even making a sleeved ensign to slip over the existing one did not look convincing in photos. It is something I must put my mind to seriously now unless I wish to duplicate all my ships which I do not. Then there is the matter of the French Royal standard!

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 05-05-2021 at 01:18.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

....another pirate....er, privateer in the campaign. Keep the stories coming...

As Rob wrote, "Your description of the sail and running gear damage is the knowledge of a true sailor and adds such a lot to the narrative." Well done.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Thank you, Gentlemen, for the kind comments and the rep.

Rob, I just embrace the national flags that we are familiar with. I've converted all of my French ships to the Tricolor, and my Americans sport the 1812 flag. While the Bourbon flag is cool in real life, at our scale it's just a white flag, and who wants a white flag on their ship?

As an aside, the Bonhomme Richard probably never flew JPJ's flag. He came up with that for the Serapis to avoid being grabbed as a pirate while in port in Holland.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 05-06-2021 at 07:27.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Not a bad idea Dobbs. I may well follow your lead there.
    I have come to terms with the pre 1801 British flag because you can hardly see the extra red stripe there either, so a bit od licence with the French is on the cards. Just for the asking do you know how official was the Rhode Island Navy's use of the Don't tread on me and snake ensign? It keeps coming up in a book I'm reading

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I recalled some mention of this from a book that I read years ago, so I checked Wikipedia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Navy_Jack

Also check the Gadsden flag.

To sum it up, unfortunately, it seems like use of it is a nautical legend.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Dobbs.
    I was afraid that may have been the case.

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

A well written story and an exciting clash between 2 small ships, which both look very nice.

I had a bit of trouble telling them apart until I realized the American one had a pennant then it fell into place. As has been mentioned the sailing jargon helps move the story on and gives a degree of authenticity that is appealing. I'm working my way through Patrick O'Brian's books for the second time and had intended to replicate some of his action on the table top to see how it plays out but I get engrosed in the story, lost in his jargon and just carry on reading.

Your ship cards are pretty good, I like them a lot and are up to your normal inventive style. Aare you using damage per side to reduce larboard and starboard fire independently or using the Ares rules so it's aggregated evenly?

You only appear to have 1 fire and 1 hole box, how do you control more than 1 of each?

Hope to see more game write ups in the future.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Here's a link to more information about my ship charts, John. You'll find an explanation of the fire and leaks in there.

https://sailsofglory.org/entry.php?7...-Damage-Charts

Thank you for the rep points!
    Last edited by Dobbs; 05-31-2021 at 17:19.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Thanks for the link, I might give this a whirl. Personally I find the fire damage as per the rules very difficult to keep track of without being very fastidious. It sort of spoils the flow of the game.
    Cheers

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Thanks for the link, I might give this a whirl. Personally I find the fire damage as per the rules very difficult to keep track of without being very fastidious. It sort of spoils the flow of the game.
    Cheers
    That was my thought as well. What drew me in to SoG was how it plays almost in real time, as compared to many games, which seem to focus more on record keeping. I like the idea of fires and leaks, but wanted to reduce the record keeping.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    That was my thought as well. What drew me in to SoG was how it plays almost in real time, as compared to many games, which seem to focus more on record keeping. I like the idea of fires and leaks, but wanted to reduce the record keeping.
    My thoughts entirely.