Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What’s on your workbench for May?

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Default What’s on your workbench for May?

Name:  8C8A75D6-1ED4-4911-BD94-2EFC154DED3B.jpg
Views: 1483
Size:  115.9 KB

I will paint the masts and sails before glueing them in place.

Just wanted to see how it would look.

And since it’s a new thread I will mention that it’s a printed Henry Turner hull of San Juan Nepomuceno in the correct scale with the masts from a Sails of Glory Spanish ship of the same class.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Very nice, Jonas! I plan to stick with SoG masts and sails for continuity too.

Can I request a painting tip? How did you highlight the black in the deck planks and grates? It looks great.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I started by drybrushing the deck with the beige and then I pseudo-drybrushed the darker reddish parts. Then I painted in the things I missed by drybrushing like touching up the edges on those two colours. After that I painted in the gun carriages and finishing the deck by putting a wash of black. That put back some of the black lines and made the gun carriages stand out more.

Perhaps I should make a thread where I post pictures after each step to make it a bit easier to understand?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If you do that Jonas I will post it on the How To Forum.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Also regarding the sails. It would seem to be the way to go as we have a ready supply in the ships we are replacing with Henry's.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    I started by drybrushing the deck with the beige and then I pseudo-drybrushed the darker reddish parts. Then I painted in the things I missed by drybrushing like touching up the edges on those two colours. After that I painted in the gun carriages and finishing the deck by putting a wash of black. That put back some of the black lines and made the gun carriages stand out more.

Perhaps I should make a thread where I post pictures after each step to make it a bit easier to understand?
    Did you thin your black wash at all Jonas?

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I used thinned black paint but some use ink.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That's why I asked Jonas. I use ink but, usually even thin that slightly. Your method is one I used to use but obviously could not control the pigment as well as you do.

thanks for enlightening me.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post

Excellent work Jonas. I looked at the new thread you started with all the steps but didn't want to post there and interrupt the flow. Its amazing how you bring out the tiny details on the ship. Well done and thank you for posting!
    "It seems to be law inflexible and inexorable that he who will not risk cannot win."
    John Paul Jones

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    If you do that Jonas I will post it on the How To Forum.

Rob.
    I wrote a thread about how I paint the deck of my prints. I'm not sure it should be a "this is the way to paint your printed ship" but, more of this is one possible way to do it.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Continentaleye View Post
    Excellent work Jonas. I looked at the new thread you started with all the steps but didn't want to post there and interrupt the flow. Its amazing how you bring out the tiny details on the ship. Well done and thank you for posting!
    Thank you. I think that by posting photos it's easier to understand.

It also shows that the first colours doesn't really matter to paint perfectly as it'll be covered up later. You may paint the capstans before the wash. I did with the first two but not these three.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Continentaleye View Post
    Well done that man.
    I refrained also, because it is much easier to turn into a "How to" on that Forum if it is not adulterated with comments which I then have to delete before I can transfer it.

Rob.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Also regarding the sails. It would seem to be the way to go as we have a ready supply in the ships we are replacing with Henry's.

Rob.
    True, but I'd still prefer an alternate source--I'm archiving my Ares models rather than scrapping them, and the estate plans are that if my collection gets broken up whoever buys a given ship gets both the Ares original and the upgrade as a package deal.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

My work bench for May

From Right to left 3d print HMS Indefatigable , Henry's Spanish San Nicolas, Ares French 64, then top to bottom Henry's HMS Captain, Ares EastIndiaman, Ares Ocean 1st Rate

HMS Indefatigable ready and rigged

Spanish 74 San Nicolas rigged and ready, only problem here is that as I am using Henry's 3d masts the ratlines from Langton do not fit as well as before, they now stick out away from the mast, but from a gaming distance I dont think it will be noticed

Here on the left Henry's HMS Captain, Canada class needs rigging, second ship is a new addition another French Indiaman

Next two models are Ares originals, a French 64 and an Ocean which I had used for masts for earlier HMS Anson razee and Clippers Santisima Trinidad. However with Henry's masts I can resurrect these, the Ocean will be the Marengo , not sure about the 64 as yet. But using these mast does mean I can rebuild some ships I cut up. One thing I did find with the masts is that the bowsprit sails do seem to be warped but usable

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Chris, isn't Marengo a Temeraire 74 rather than a three-decker?
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Ooops, yes DB, it should have been Wagram

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Nice to see what work you have put into Henry's ships Chris. As yet I have only done one.
    I am still striving to complete my American squadron and also my HEIC one.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Chris, great ships!

As all others have painted Canada class ships I painted one too.

Name:  41CECB3D-B310-49F0-A0EA-A79218C1ECED.jpg
Views: 1320
Size:  103.6 KB

Name:  05BEF3A1-5F84-4D1C-8017-633EBDEFA6EA.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  121.6 KB

Name:  27985547-63B8-4075-A122-F1BC2743E7D6.jpg
Views: 1406
Size:  112.0 KB

Name:  28405D30-E687-4D46-8EBD-28562C5D6C59.jpg
Views: 1342
Size:  237.1 KB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Well done that man.
    I refrained also, because it is much easier to turn into a "How to" on that Forum if it is not adulterated with comments which I then have to delete before I can transfer it.

Rob.
    As it was about painting the deck I think it's done.

I don't know if I can impart any smart ideas on painting the hull. I think we all basically do the same there.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Oh very nice Jonas, what you doing ref masts, using the 3d or scalping Ares?

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I'm not sure. For the Spanish I will use Ares masts, but for the British I would have to buy more ships. The price is also prohibiting.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

A test with the Spanish masts...

Name:  C21D283C-128D-4C68-8919-85077F6F8857.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  176.6 KB

Name:  4E94696B-6CCB-4A44-B888-ED878D18C803.jpg
Views: 1298
Size:  190.0 KB

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Those will fit the Langton ratlines, Ill see about getting a close upof the 3d masts to show you fit

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

It’s mostly the look of them I don’t like. I’m disappointed that it’s only the cast sails of Langton and the Sails of Glory sails that look like sails does in real life. I hate the flat sails that make a fantastic miniature just look wrong.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Can you cut foil to shape then form over a teaspoon (or similar). This is my plan when I fit sails to my L'Ocean (currently the only masted ship I have printed - as the poor form of the available masts has discouraged me from bothering with the other ships I have...)

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

A little experimenting, all on the Canada class.

L to R Canada (woodtone with blue and green trim) almost done, Captain black stripes on yellow basecoat, Orion yellow stripe fill on black basecoat, Majestic only in primer--Orion and Majestic so new their deck tans are still wet as I type this. Captain and Orion the stripes were painted with TOOTHPICKS between attacks of the shakes; right now I'm thinking the road forward is basecoat the main hull color, then toothpick the gundeck stripes, then drybrush over any spillover.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I was puzzled for a fraction of a second, wondering where your spardeck frigate was... then realised that your Majestic isn't the 1813 re-armament.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

1813 Majestic is so late a player in this game as to not really be worth discussing yet. When Henry cuts down his 74 models into razee frigates and Ares comes out with an ex-74 Razee ship pack, I'll worry about the 1813 refit then, ditto the cut-down Slade Commons. My suspicion is that a Middling 74 would be comparable to a Temeraire, a Large should be around the overpowered Nepomucenos, and a correct SJN with its 24# main should probably be weaker guns but strong durability, somewhere between an Artesien and a Slade Common. An ex-74 razee frigate should probably stat similar to Constitution but between her and an SOL in maneuverability.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I have Henry's Razee, I was not 'in gear' for her original condition. It was my confusion, partly linked to the recent discussion of 1803-1812 US sloops, and other ships.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Interesting schemes DB, I undercoated in a Mid grey then used a lemon yellow for the sides of my Canada/Captain.
    For my Orion, for my Trafalgar set up, I was painting as per the pic from wiki showing a chestnut drown as per a museum model. If I don't like will overpaint in yellow again.
    Last edited by Capn Duff; 05-03-2021 at 21:07.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Interesting schemes DB, I undercoated in a Mid grey then used a lemon yellow for the sides of my Canada/Captain.
    For my Orion, for my Trafalgar set up, I was paining as per the pic from wiki showing a chestnut drown as per a museum model. If I don't like will overpaint in yellow again.
    So you're thinking more like Canada but with black strakes underlining the gunports rather than the blue "top and bottom"?

So far, this is the only good (using that word loosely, admittedly) reference I've been able to find for Majestic: https://www.stephensandkenau.com/ship/hms-majestic/

If possible, I'd like each of my nine Turner 74's to have a uniquely identifiable but historically as-accurate-as-possible scheme, like Canada's green beakhead or Captain's blue one, or Majestic's all-yellow gallery. IF I can ever get these four to a point where they pass community muster (masking is impossible at this size and the tremors don't help either) I'll post a detailed paints-used list.

EDIT: Ganges, Culloden, Tremendous, Invincible and Minden all now primed. In the absence of a true primer, 862 Black Gray seems to work better than 950 Black.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 05-03-2021 at 21:17.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Well done that man.

Rob.
    Turns out you will have to clean it up now.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well it will keep me busy, but we need to discuss this Jonas. I will have to turn it into one post, which will only credit you with one point for all your several posts, or I could extract each post and put them into my file to transfer, leaving these originals here. The downside to that is it wquld then look as if I had posted it to the "How to" forum. I will try and think a way around this, but if you tell me your preferred one if I fail I can get onto it for you.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I can make it into one post. One thing less to worry about for you.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That would be easy enough for me to do Jonas. I can put the other comment on this thread.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Job done.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I had to rework the attachments but now the pictures work.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It's in the How to repaints file OK Jonas.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Yes, but initially the three last pictures didn't show. I have fixed it.

Still no ships, Rob?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Still no ships Jonas.

Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Update: Majestic and Ganges-class second deck coats applied, Polyphemus primed.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Orion and Majestic hulls swapped; Orion wood brown and Polyphemus first coats of yellow applied.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You are making me feel lazy DB. All these ships on the stocks, and I am just fannying around with another American Brig and its cards. hope to post pic later today when it is complete.

Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I kinda cheat, Rob, when I have a paintbrush wet I like to get as much use out of that batch of mixed paint as I can. :) Polyphemus is being painted not according to any historical reference but as a direct mimic of her official Ares counterpart, and HMS America will be the same story. (If I can find references about those two 64's, I'll tweak their beakheads accordingly as a quick "ID marker.")
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Not to stress you out but I have made this in the last couple of days.

Name:  A680E296-0688-452E-B6D1-6D609E241B7A.jpg
Views: 1165
Size:  357.7 KB

Five each of Canada and Ganges plus an extra Canada with broken lanterns that I used as proof of concept for painting and may end up using anyway. Then there’s seven San Juan Nepomuceno, supposed to make six, but one extra if I drop one, there’s two San José, and three San Nicolas.

Only the two in front is finished.

Name:  3239A249-7257-4008-977F-F383BD6DF46F.jpg
Views: 1284
Size:  73.6 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well that puts me in my place Jonas.

Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Have a name picked for your fifth Canada, or just a later variant deco? I only ordered four to get what I had listed for Historical Pop, and passed on the sixth Ganges because it didn't make even my generous "1816 Second Barbary" overtime cutoff. The extra SJN's, well, they can probably pass for other Francisco Gautier 74's.

What's your secret on those nice crisp stripe edges? I can't get masking tape to work this small, either it doesn't seal and it bleeds or it peels off what it's supposed to protect. (Orion I kinda cheated, did the entire hull in black then overpainted Ochre Brown up to the top of the LD ports and down to the bottom of the UD's to leave a narrow band of basecoat exposed for the upper strake. Have no idea what I'm gonna do for the lower...)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

To be honest DB, my idea behind numbers are actually from that my printer prints six ships at a time and I don't want to put big ships next to each others so I mix them up and while trying to paint them I found out that when dropping the model it breaks, mostly catheads or lanterns. Trying to remove the ships from the supports without touching them sometimes makes me dropp them.

My actual goal was four each of Canada and Ganges, six of Nepomuceno, two San Nicolas and one San José.

I find that there's some elevation difference in the side that helps me keeping "within the lines". Also I just bougth a lamp with a built in magnification glass.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Meanwhile, today another new Brig joins the US Squadron.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

HMS Victory 1765 ready!

Attached Images Attached Images         
    Last edited by Bligh; 05-06-2021 at 00:41.