Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What’s on your workbench for May?

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hi Jonas, yes I thought you may have got all the files when I saw your fleet.
    I have bought Henry’s files and and considering getting Simons Tonnant and Montanes files for future

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Must have a look at Henry's site again myself Chris. Those are looking very smart already. Jonas can certainly move when he wants to.
    Rob.
    Don’t forget Simon Mann when looking for ships to print. I don’t think he’s quite as good but he’s good enough. Or perhaps it’s his older ships that are a little lacking.

Rob, since we have so much covid, there’s no leaving the apartment anyway.

And ships aren’t the only thing I do...
    Name:  EFD2B031-DA58-46DD-9CFC-796EA43EC417.jpg
Views: 1297
Size:  183.3 KB
    Last edited by TexaS; 05-09-2021 at 22:51.

Remember, Simon designs his ships for gaming! They are much more robust than Henry's. Henry is making the attempt to provide a more robust gaming model with his "Chunky" version of a few of his later ships. Henry puts so much detail into his regular resin ships, making them somewhat fragile and breakable. I am not sure how well they would hold up to heavy use. Simon's resin prints I have seem to be nearly as sturdy as the plastic ships.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post

Rob, since we have so much covid, there’s no leaving the apartment anyway.

And ships aren’t the only thing I do...
    I could have done with your bridges when we did both Vitoria and Brandywine back in the day. We bought one cast bridge and due to lack of funds for the club then used it to Vac form several others on the school machine with the only thin plastic sheet they had. They did not stand the test of time, as after a few useages they develped cracks at the stress points in the plastic.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Remember, Simon designs his ships for gaming! They are much more robust than Henry's. Henry is making the attempt to provide a more robust gaming model with his "Chunky" version of a few of his later ships. Henry puts so much detail into his regular resin ships, making them somewhat fragile and breakable. I am not sure how well they would hold up to heavy use. Simon's resin prints I have seem to be nearly as sturdy as the plastic ships.
    They are good ships, but there are things like the gallery that's not really sculpted at all. Henry's FDM files works well in 1:1000 when the models are for 1:700 and so on. I think Henry has some tricks that makes his ships more suitable for scaling to 1:1000 and printing on a resin printer, apart from actually providing ships in 1:1000 which usually were a mix between the FDM guns and the 1:700 details. If it prints, it prints... Simon's ships I have mostly scaled down the 1:700 but then the guns are very small and Simon has made a hole in the barrel of the guns, which I think is unneccessary in most scales and that makes some barrels fail when scaled too small.

Simon's ships do mix better with Sails of Glory.

For me it's the availability of a ship that descides whom I buy it from. I got the Kickstarter with the Baltic bulwarks included and that gave me quite a few Henry-ships.

Now I'm just hoping for any of them to make a Neptune class second rate.

And a Wasa-class Swedish third rate, but thats's obvious.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chuck

You all are insanely talented! I am jealous! My hands have a natural shake to them. So it makes painting miniatures impossible for me. I simply can’t hold the brush steady. Now, if you need a Ship of the Line painted like a Jackson Pollock, I’m your man! Haha!

Really enjoying looking at your ships. Thank you all for sharing!

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasChuck View Post
    You all are insanely talented! I am jealous! My hands have a natural shake to them. So it makes painting miniatures impossible for me. I simply can’t hold the brush steady. Now, if you need a Ship of the Line painted like a Jackson Pollock, I’m your man! Haha!

Really enjoying looking at your ships. Thank you all for sharing!
    Chuck, I feel your pain--this is why I use the finest-point brushes I can get, barely wet them and look for structural features I can use to guide my brush. It's the only trick that's let me back into the game after being forced out of even big 1/48-scale planes fifteen years ago...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Here are the first three GHQ builds - two brigs and a schooner. I hijacked some of Rob's ship cards and changed them to fit my AWI Continental Navy. Rob, I hope you don't mind?
    Name:  IMG_0495.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  138.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_0499.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  161.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_0500.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  162.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_0501.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  130.8 KB
    My painting ability is nowhere near the abilities that many of you possess, but hopefully it will get better with time.
    "It seems to be law inflexible and inexorable that he who will not risk cannot win."
    John Paul Jones

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If youi would like any more cards knocking out Anthony just let me know.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Personal opinion... if we compare these models to Star Trek characters, I'd use Henry and Simon's models for ships that get the headliner role akin to Kirk/Picard/Named Main Cast, and the Ares models for Redshirts.

OTOH, Simon's and Henry's are easier to replace in the event of a break or a manufacturing defect... I'd still like to see an SLP system option where you can melt down and reuse wastage like post-print rafts or bad prints.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Good sides of L to R ARS San Jose as taken at Cape St. Vincent 1797, ARS Purisima Concepcion ca. 1780 as launched (both based on Todo a Babor references), HMS Minden as bombarded both Ft McHenry and Algiers (based on a painting of the latter).
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Great, DB!

It's very nice to be able to use you for researching paint schemes.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Great, DB!

It's very nice to be able to use you for researching paint schemes.
    Don't count on me, and take period paintings and models with a grain of salt--I'm painting by the best references I can find but assuming someday complete repaint may be required. :) (And if anybody comes up with better on the five Ganges that made game cutoff, PLEASE share!) Funny, if you told me fifteen years ago when the shakes made me give up plane building that someday I'd paint something as small as PC's top-rail and have it come out as anything better than unmitigated disaster I'd have laughed in your face...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Yes, painting were often painted years later by someone that's never been to sea.
    At least they give a picture of public belief in the era. I find that better than the belief now where a few grognards complain about the wild fantasies that fly off the screen in works as Black Sails.

There are also a few paintings made by someone actually in the pictured battle or at least experience from other battles.

Somehow I find the historically correct satisfying, but almost as satisfying is to find a historical possibility and choose to use that instead knowingly because it's better looking or so you can easily distinguish between ships when playing with them.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

At this point, where I can't get sufficient references I'm willing to settle for "Plausible"--there's actually more green on my Canada than on the Rogers Collection 1779-vintage model she's based on especially in the beakhead, but it's still plausible and works for a Vessel Visual Identification System. If I can find detail references for a specific battle to recreate an exact moment in time that's always my first choice, but... well, the steepest learning curve with this game for me has been the learning to "make do," especially with not even redecoes coming for the foreseeable future.

As I post WIP, I'd also appreciate it if you guys could help me keep track of what needs doing before the hulls get clearcoated--both PC's need their figureheads, PC herself the stern gallery can't be done until I get some silver paint. Masts and sails are waiting for my LGS to get a restock of Vallejo since the big craft stores don't carry 883 Silver Gray, which was the closest match to the color Ares uses.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I agree DB. I decided years ago that plausible was better than going completely bonkers, when I visited the 45th Regimental museum to research the colours used by them in the Peninsular and the curator told me that they could not even show me a colour from the First World War let alone one that far back. All the posh regiments can show colours going back centuries.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I talked about uniform colours for naval uniforms and one who had examined originals asked which of Nelson’s uniforms I ment when discussing. There was a difference between the battle of the Nile uniform and the Trafalgar uniform. Not how they had aged but the colour in “hidden” areas had a remarkable difference with reddish or greenish tone of the blue. Basically you could choose any dark blue and it would probably be correct for one of all the officer uniforms of the era.

I often look for good looking paint schemes and then try to see which ships I would fit it to.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well I collected the best info I could and came up with this for my US Squadron in the Med. Just got to do my Swedish contingent and a gun boat or two now.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Great job, Rob.

I'm already looking forward to the AARs you will write!

Your US Squadron looks great Rob. Well done!
    Anthoony
    "It seems to be law inflexible and inexorable that he who will not risk cannot win."
    John Paul Jones

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

My Spanish ships of the line has come a little bit further. All but one have finished decks.

Name:  6F0D449D-F3D5-499F-8D63-B57029EF9209.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  234.3 KB

Those angled looks as if they have a different tone, but that’s an illusion due to daylight.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Great job, Rob.

I'm already looking forward to the AARs you will write!
    There will be one played tomorrow all being well Jonas.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My Spanish ships of the line has come a little bit further. All but one have finished decks.

Those angled looks as if they have a different tone, but that’s an illusion due to daylight.

Those Spanish are looking very good Jonas.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Had to MacGyver a replacement port cathead for HMS San Josef after the original broke off in transit. Used a section of raft support, so her catheads look like a freakin' fiddler crab, but I figured the oversize one stands out less than Complete Absence.

I am NOT looking forward to coming up with two replacement lanterns for HMS Orion... even if the museum/collector models are right that Canadas and 64's only had two lanterns, just cutting the donor parts off is gonna suck.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

DB, I had to replace a some lanterns for a couple of my initial models which broke off in transit. I used a small dress pin, cut off the point and head, then super glued in position, then next day , to give time to set, cut to size. At this scale and after a lick or two of paint I think it is not noticeable

The middle lantern was missing
    Last edited by Capn Duff; 05-12-2021 at 15:09.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looking good Chris. One day I will try rigging just one of my models.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

The bridge.

Name:  6E9F9AC0-39DA-4ED0-926B-164EB39CD187.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  177.6 KB

And some houses.

Name:  13E4D48F-0D29-4804-95AE-E80448A2ED07.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  154.1 KB

The houses are a little bit too small on purpose to use less area on the battlefield.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

An old chestnut Jonas.

Buildings to scale so that you don't hide a whole scaled down regiment behind a cottage. Trees to scaled height so you can't actually reach over them to move your bases. Sailing ships and flying aircraft are so much more easy to manoeuvre and amenable to play with. The bridge looks superb painted up.

Rob.

A GHQ West Indies merchant

Name:  IMG_0504.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  120.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_0505.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  127.1 KB
    John Paul Jones

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very well done sir, and something that wec are short of and are in dire need of are the Light Merchantmen.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today I have been getting a few cards done for my new HEIC ships.
    Firstly

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Followed by HEIC Bombay.

Very well done sir, and something that wec are short of and are in dire need of are the Light Merchantmen.

Rob.
    Thank you sir.

Your HEIC cards look very good.
    Anthony
    John Paul Jones

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Nice work, both of you.

Montañes is ready.

Name:  A90C8721-D7DA-4951-89A4-928B4AADE045.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  108.2 KB

Name:  88C5240F-2C9C-412C-944B-98517F3E3CBD.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  100.8 KB

Name:  50D1D47F-B1A5-496F-ABBF-C6F61DD9946B.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  120.6 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Cracking job Jonas. those red insides to the gun port lids really set her of wonderfully.
    Rob.

Jonas, your painting ability is truly incredible. It is almost impossible to believe that is a picture of a 1:1000 scale ship. Truly incredible job. Well done.
    Anthony
    John Paul Jones

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

The whole shipyard...

post-drydock repair to HMS San Josef's cathead:

Size comparison between two generations of Common 74, and First Rates...

Henry's Purisima Concepcion is about the same size as SGN106, 108 and 201, which leads me to suspect that Ares' engineer was right about the Wave 1 ships being oversize but Meregildos is still BADLY undersize.

Current status/to-dos... all need guns and carriages.
    HMS Victory - need better info or reco's/ideas on striping/beakhead/galleries and deck details for Keppel's red scheme
    ARS Purisima Concepcion - silver for gallery, gold for figurehead, white for beakhead; need suggestions on Spanish bulwark colors
    ARS San Jose - striping touchups, gold on beakhead, black markings on port/stbd forward quarters; ditto re bulwarks
    HMS San Josef - need beakhead ideas; thinking go with typical turn of 19th century Babypuke Ochre and golden-yellow beakhead/gallery
    HMS Canada - minor touchups on strakes and galleries; bulwarks; deck details; extend blue and add red trim on stern gallery
    HMS Captain - minor stern details; bulwarks; deck details
    HMS Orion - repair lanterns; touchup; gallery and beakhead; bulwarks; deck details
    HMS Majestic - touchup; gallery and beakhead; bulwarks; deck details
    HMS Ganges - on hold at primer and windows; need paint references
    HMS Culloden - on hold at primer and windows; need paint references
    HMS Tremendous - on hold at primer and windows; waiting for white paint
    HMS Invincible - on hold at primer and windows; need paint references
    HMS Minden - deck details; bulwarks; beakhead/gallery touchup
    HMS Polyphemus - deck details; touchup; gold on gallery/beakhead; bulwarks; red trim; need to determine ID marker
    HMS America - yellow sides; gold beak/gallery; bulwarks; red trim; need to determine ID marker
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Your ships are coming along very nicely DB.
    John Paul Jones

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Thank you.

Great progress DB!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Working on Argonauta now...

Name:  837D41A1-4AD8-422C-B660-B9BB8D6B7A0D.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  156.1 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Where do I start with you gents today.
    You are so prolific. This is a veritable production line. Fleets of this that and the other are taking shape.
    If only Ares could get their act together as well as you chaps!

Keep up the good work.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Working on Argonauta now...
    No need to tell you how fine your ship looks already Jonas.

Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Where do I start with you gents today.
    You are so prolific. This is a veritable production line. Fleets of this that and the other are taking shape.
    If only Ares could get their act together as well as you chaps!

Keep up the good work.

Rob.
    The trick, my friend, is just like Clipper's Zeppelins--queue up similar tasks and do them as a job-lot. :) And yes, an assembly line is exactly what I'm aiming for... someday a part of me wants to see if we could negotiate "group licenses" from Henry and Simon to either be shared among donating Anchorage members or offered as a "membership add-on" fundraiser.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

That's the way I did the decks on my Spanish fleet. Now I basically just do the lines, stem and stern to finish it. Not to much, but as I want to find painting schemes I do them one at a time for that.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

And now Argonauta is finished.

Name:  295D4EDC-F818-444D-A64A-5136B4F55C48.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  97.8 KB

Name:  83608AF3-5E30-4FEB-92E2-094C6B992B71.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  83.8 KB

Name:  4502555B-3945-46E5-B943-C0DA9486DCAB.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  120.2 KB

Excellent paint job

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Ah! Batch production expands to fill the void. What a sound idea.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have now got started on my next batch of sea coast and village.

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 05-15-2021 at 13:19.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Ah! Batch production expands to fill the void. What a sound idea.
    Rob.
    Or "specialization and trade"--I'm not sure if this fits with Henry's license terms, but IF he'd be cool with it if you specialize in one type of ship and a buddy specializes in another then you might just open a short line, each of you does all of a given type for both and then just trade finished models 1-for-1. Again, IF...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    Excellent paint job
    Indeed. I'm still struggling with the idea of trying to paint that level of detail on a model TWICE that size...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB