Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: What’s on your workbench for May?

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I have a note that they had a crew of 342 - but I don't recall where I got that. Wiki suggests 160, which is obviously not reasonable for such a heavy frigate. Though 364 looks rather higher than expected too.
    Last edited by Lieste; 06-02-2021 at 16:55.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Thank you, Vol!

Now my 64 gun Spanish ships will fit in better with the fleet.
    The other concern is clustering Spanish 64-gun designs--there are the three San Fulgencios including one San Pedro Alcantara which Bahama was supposedly upscaled from, then the three later San Pedro Alcantaras which are 49/52 scale-downs of Ildefonso-Montanes.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I'd like to have San Leandro and Santo Domingo. San Leandro is correct for a San Fulgencio-class. Santo Domingo is older and it's own class, so...

Scaling ships is no match for someone with a 3D printer...

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I'd like to have San Leandro and Santo Domingo. San Leandro is correct for a San Fulgencio-class. Santo Domingo is older and it's own class, so...

Scaling ships is no match for someone with a 3D printer...
    True... the barrier there is less the hull scaledown than the decks, ports and other details rearrangement. If you can get a 3d model of 1760 HMS Bellona, the St. Albans and Worcester 64's are similar, and I wanna say Bately had an early 64 class that were upscaled from his 1757 Richmond frigates for "same problem other way."
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Fulgencio Nepomuceno Ildefonso Montañés Nicolás Meregildos Purísima Concepción
    New paint scheme
    San Leandro

Old paint scheme
    Santo Domingo
    New paint scheme
    San Juan Nepomuceno *
    San Francisco de Asis *
    San Agustin

Old paint scheme
    San Pablo *
    San Isidro *
    San Antonio *
    New paint scheme
    San Ildefonso *

Old paint scheme
    San Francisco de Paula
    Infante don Pelayo
    Conquistador
    Soberano
    New paint scheme
    Montañés *
    Monarca *
    Argonauta *
    Neptuno *
    Old paint scheme
    San Nicolás de Bari *
    Fenix
    New paint scheme
    Santa Ana
    Principe de Asturias
    Real Carlos

Old paint scheme
    Mejicano
    Salvador del Mundo
    Conde de Regla
    New paint scheme
    Purísima Concepción

Old paint scheme
    San José
    * Painted hull

Undecided: San Justo. Questionable: San Antonio. Missing: Rayo. And as always... Bahama...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for that info Jonas.
    I can now get on with things as soon as I find my undercoat for the ships.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Lieste View Post
    I have a note that they had a crew of 342 - but I don't recall where I got that. Wiki suggests 160, which is obviously not reasonable for such a heavy frigate. Though 364 looks rather higher than expected too.
    Thanks for the info David. I will work around your 342 for the three ships unless further info is uncovered. It sounds about right for a 40 gun ship.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

[table="class: grid"]

Undecided: San Justo. Questionable: San Antonio. Missing: Rayo. And as always... Bahama...
    San Justo is a San Joaquin class, a Gautier design probably related to Nepomuceno (almost all Gautier 74's are very close dimensionally). My hesitancy is the question of open galleries like Nepomuceno or enclosed like San Fermin and Ildefonso.

I'd suspect Bahama and San Fermin are probably somewhat related, as an aside.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Yes, DB. In my picture of the Spanish in the June thread I have a Nepomuceno as San Justo. I also have one for San Antonio which I’m not sure of either. Well, well...

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I'm up in the air on San Antonio myself, amigo. She's after Bahama, roughly around the same time as San Ildefonso; we'd need details on her gallery and who designed her to better classify her.

Man, I really wish Seaforth could get Spanish Warships in the Age of Sail pushed out to publication... I suspect most of the answers we need are locked away in that unpublished manuscript.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My latest edition to the British small ships squadron.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here are the cards for it.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Did them back in may?

It's a nice vessel, Rob!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Tomorrow I hope to get started on the cards for the Swedish Frigates Jonas, although I will have to do the ship cards once I have painted them.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Nice!

I'm pretty sure I have shared them earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    My latest edition to the British small ships squadron.
    Nicely done Rob.
    Anthony
    "It seems to be law inflexible and inexorable that he who will not risk cannot win."
    John Paul Jones

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

We're a third into June and you still have to remind me that I was stupid to include the ' in the title of this thread so none of the links sent in the emails work...

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

We're a third into June and you still have to remind me that I was stupid to include the ' in the title of this thread so none of the links sent in the emails work...
    Just call future threads "On Your Workbench - [Month] [Year] Edition". :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

June worked well. I would also use the universal preferred date format YYYY-MM-DD. It has the added benefit of sorting itself correctly in computers.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

We could just doo a what's on your workbench and let it run.

Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    We could just doo a what's on your workbench and let it run.

Rob.
    Or make it quarterly/seasonal to keep the length manageable. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I hate the continous threads. If you ever want to go back and check anything, don't even try it. It's lost foerver.

I think this format we do it is the best. Just leave out the characters that don't work well in links and switch over to the new thread at about the end of the month.

If you have something that you absolutely want to tie up in the old thread I guess you could, but anything other than comments on earlier posts would to my mind be better to put in the new thread.

Comments on older posts should continue in the old one. It wouldn't make sence to reference something not in the thread, but updates to the same ship or project wouldn't suffer to switch threads. If you want to see earlier progress, you know where to find it.

That's my thoughts.

I think that the idea to run these threads are great. I like to see others work on their projects and it gives some activity on the forum. Without it there may only be some threads of finished ships and not these work in progress.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

In that case I will let sleeping dogs lie. then each individual can decide how they want to treat each thread
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

My comment that started this was mostly a comment about including characters not well suited for links should be avoided.

You had expertly navigated those shallow waters Rob, but I struck apostrophe and have been taking in water ever since.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Jonas.

Rob.