Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What’s on your workbench for May?

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    HMS Victory 1765 ready!
    Varnished wood with Prussian Blue upper and lower "edging" strakes seems to be a common pattern for the 1750s-60s Brits. Period models of Bellona and Canada five years apart show the same basic scheme as your Victory.

Jonas, would side-nipping sprue cutters like used in traditional modeling work?
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Another fine ship ready for battle Julián.

Would you like the attatchments removing?

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Yes pls Rob, thanks

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

An incredible piece of art, Julián!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Db, I use tongs and a scalpel. The biggest problem is that the resin prints are toxic and a little bit soft and rubbery before curing and I try not to touch them at all. Not only to not spread the toxic resin around (always use protective gloves) but it's easy to damage the very thin guns, lanterns and so on sticking out.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    Yes pls Rob, thanks
    For some reason your attatchments would not go, but I did get them the right way up.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Whilst waiting for my Swedish Frigates to come out of quarintine I am adding a few ships to my HEIC squadron.

Here is the first finished today. The 1801 Frigate Cornwallis.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

A Spanish 80 finished and a 112 quite far come and two more 80ies started.

Name:  90AEBCB8-1CBC-4897-8D12-E09EF4CD06FA.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  175.6 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

They are looking very smart already Jonas. You must have a very steady hand to do that white line.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

It’s not really free hand. It’s a raised edge I follow.

Name:  694BDFEE-5E3B-4962-8888-2AB2BD26F202.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  112.6 KB

Name:  F3549C2A-7864-416B-B7DA-B12905E8B0AF.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  119.5 KB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

And paint scheme is inspired by this.

Name:  50707B25-DF1B-43D3-9542-F1CA06AE3ABE.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  147.5 KB

Nelson’s famous bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    A Spanish 80 finished and a 112 quite far come and two more 80ies started.

Name:  90AEBCB8-1CBC-4897-8D12-E09EF4CD06FA.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  175.6 KB
    They look fantastic

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Thank you Julián!

Nice work, Jonas.

Precise paintjob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Thank you, Sven.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Superb yet again Jonas.
    And I have to try and follow that.
    However, I must first discuss with you the suitable colour schemes and ensigns for my Frigates which come out of quarintine tomorrow.

Rob.

It’s not really free hand. It’s a raised edge I follow.

Name:  694BDFEE-5E3B-4962-8888-2AB2BD26F202.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  112.6 KB

Name:  F3549C2A-7864-416B-B7DA-B12905E8B0AF.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  119.5 KB
    I like this paint scheme Jonas, but I have never seen blue lanterns before!

This is for Diamondback.
    DB I promised I would let you know how the reduction to 1/1000 scale worked out on my printer after I swapped to a smaller nozzle. It was raining so I stayed indoors and changed out the nozzles today. Printing the 1/700 Elizabeth at 70%, using a 0.2MM nozzle at the Cura Ultra Quality settings

Name:  20210507_180736.jpg
Views: 1207
Size:  92.0 KB
    Name:  20210507_183408.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  86.7 KB
    Name:  20210507_183504.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  109.7 KB

I have also printed one successfully at 1/1200. So if anyone wants another hull, as long as you have purchased the STL from Henry or Simon!
    Last edited by Volunteer; 05-08-2021 at 08:29.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Excellent pics gents, inspiring all.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Thanks, Vol, I think that looks more like "wait for remaster" to me.

Today's humble submission of Progress Report for the Admiralty's review...

Top row L/R Canada/Captain, bottom L/R Orion/Majestic. Yes, I need to repair some lanterns; the references I've seen on Canada Class with those only show two so I'm thinking clip the centers, use one to repair Orion and set the others aside for spares/future repairs.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Great work!

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Great work!
    Thanks, Jonas; I've been finding it works best for me to paint the "ports" section color first, then the top and bottom sections, and finally do the middle strake bringing my paintbrush in between the guns alternating top and bottom entries rather than my previous "linear" thinking. Any suggestions on things I need to work on for technique, or where to focus my efforts on these four next other than the bulwarks? I'm painting to mimic Ares style as closely as I can, so there's a Tamiya paint I need before I can do the guns and carriages.

ID keys for convenience: Canada is blue stripes, Captain is blue beakhead and black gallery top, Orion is black stripes, Majestic full yellow beakhead top and gallery. If I can find references to allow something similar, I'd like to have a similar "unique ID marking" system for the Ganges class, and eventually back-paint onto Ares ships as well.

Should I just figure on British Babypuke Yellow with Black for post-capture HMS San Josef, or go white or buff for the stripes? The only reference I've found under RN ensign is white as a gunnery training sip, but that's a good 20+ years after "end of game" and my preference would be more around the time Nelson broke flag aboard her while she was pinch-hitting for the burned Queen Charlotte.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

What ever you decide DB, I'm sure that your colour code will catch on as an easy recognition method amongst these identical hulled ships.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    This is for Diamondback.
    DB I promised I would let you know how the reduction to 1/1000 scale worked out on my printer after I swapped to a smaller nozzle. It was raining so I stayed indoors and changed out the nozzles today. Printing the 1/700 Elizabeth at 70%, using a 0.2MM nozzle at the Cura Ultra Qiality settings

I have also printed one successfully at 1/1200. So if anyone wants another hull, as long as you have purchased the STL from Henry or Simon!
    This is very encouraging work Vol. It shows just how versatile Henry's models are going to be in the hands of you printing boys.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    What ever you decide DB, I'm sure that your colour code will catch on as an easy recognition method amongst these identical hulled ships.

Rob.
    In the meantime, while my usual practice is to start a class with oldest ships first, I'm starting the Ganges class with Minden based on this painting.
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...cropped%29.jpg

Would we call this a single high white stripe on otherwise black hull for Tremendous?
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Canonniere.jpg

Can't tell which of these ships at Spithead 1797 is supposed to be Ganges herself, still no luck with Culloden and Invincible.
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...thead_1797.jpg
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Should I just figure on British Babypuke Yellow with Black for post-capture HMS San Josef, or go white or buff for the stripes? The only reference I've found under RN ensign is white as a gunnery training sip, but that's a good 20+ years after "end of game" and my preference would be more around the time Nelson broke flag aboard her while she was pinch-hitting for the burned Queen Charlotte.
    The painting I posted earlier of her had her with yellow over the two lower gun decks and black above. The painting was of the Nelson bridge.

I have painted her as I have seen her illustrated in Spanish service in pictures with four yellow stripes.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I added a bit about the base painting of the hulls in my recent how to.

https://sailsofglory.org/content.php...-printed-hulls

By the way Vol, that is amazing results from a FDM printer. They've really come a long way. Now, I am the proud owner of a resin printer, so I can get better detail, but with the added durability and most of all, larger print area I suddenly wish I had a lot more money.

Thanks Jonas, it has been fun playing around with it, trying new things, tweaking settings, experimenting with the slicer program settings, etc. to get the results I want.

And thank you Rob for the rep points.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Meantime back at the Anchorage I just got access to the smashing gift of three Swedish Frigates from Jonas. It looks as if there was also a stowaway hiding in there too Jonas!

Rob.

All the incredible work that has been showcased on this month's and previous month's workbenches has inspired me to attempt painting and assembling a few GHQ metal ships I bought a few months back. They are two 18-gun brigs, an 8-gun schooner, a 22-gun xebec, a 44-gun East Indiaman and West Indies Merchant without guns. All are 1:1200 scale so I'm not sure how they'll look next to the SGN models although some of the Langton's seem to fit in well.

Name:  IMG_0484.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  158.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_0485.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  197.8 KB

The first picture is with the initial primer on all parts and the second one is with some of the detail painting started. My work does not compare with any of the amazing work many of you do. But hey, I figure if I don't like my finished results, I have plenty of materiel for sunk ship and derelict markers.
    "It seems to be law inflexible and inexorable that he who will not risk cannot win."
    John Paul Jones

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Meantime back at the Anchorage I just got access to the smashing gift of three Swedish Frigates from Jonas. It looks as if there was also a stowaway hiding in there too Jonas!

Rob.
    It turned out that Henry Turner have some free ships and one of them was the Bounty. I just thought that Bligh ought to have that one.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Continentaleye View Post
    All the incredible work that has been showcased on this month's and previous month's workbenches has inspired me to attempt painting and assembling a few GHQ metal ships I bought a few months back...
    I have tried building GHQ ships a few decades ago and I failed miserably. SoG gave me a new chance to return to my favourite genre. I have painted a Rod Langton miniature or two since I started with SoG, but that's been an exception. I keep to plastic and resin now.

Good luck!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I also prefer the resin ships Jonas. I wish that Rod would indicate which of his are in resin.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

This is now my planned Spanish fleet.

Name:  E224C4ED-1595-411A-86ED-C9E08E1B0707.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  215.9 KB

Neptuno, San Francisco de Asis, San Augustin, San Justo, Monarca, Bahama
    Montañes, Argonauta, San Ildefonso, San Juan Nepomuceno, Santo Domingo
    Nuestra Señora de la Santísima Trinidad, Santa Ana, Principe de Asturias, Conde de Reglia, Real Carlos
    Puríssima Conceptión, San José, Rayo, San Nicolás de Bari, Fenix, ?

Now I wonder what would be the best representation of Bahamas and Rayo?
    Last edited by TexaS; 05-12-2021 at 05:11.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

It turned out that Henry Turner have some free ships and one of them was the Bounty. I just thought that Bligh ought to have that one.
    Ooh! Tell me more about this Bounty. How does it compare size-wise to Swans?

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

The painting I posted earlier of her had her with yellow over the two lower gun decks and black above. The painting was of the Nelson bridge.
    True, which gives us her last day in Spanish service and her last years in the RN. I'm hoping to find something in-between so HMS San Josef model will be visibly different from ARS San Jose or ARS Purisima Concepcion even before the ensigns go on. :)

Nasty part on Ganges, looks like some of the stern painting has to wait until completion and derafting.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Ooh! Tell me more about this Bounty. How does it compare size-wise to Swans?
    She should be around 5-6 ft shorter and ~2ft narrower than the Swan sloops.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Bounty vs Swan

Name:  952752D4-0037-4E99-B8A5-FC4E06CC8165.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  143.9 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Near enough for me me boys.

Bligh.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Name:  CF11D640-59CD-4096-BC0C-1209D467D02B.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  277.8 KB

Got a little done. Decks on four Montañes and Ildefonso and started the decks on the Meregildos.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Nice looking fleet there Jonas, I just seen that on the 3d website there are now models available for the Santa Anna class, Bucentaure/Tonnant class, San Ildelfonso /Montanes class, so all of the smaller models can be replaced with more accurate ones.
    I look forward to seeing this fleet finished.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Must have a look at Henry's site again myself Chris. Those are looking very smart already. Jonas can certainly move when he wants to.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Meanwhile, this weekend I have been mostly adding to my HEIC squadron.

Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I agree Rob, makes me think about getting a printer myself one day, until then though

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Next job is the three Swedish Frigates which Jonas kindly sent to me for the Med.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    I agree Rob, makes me think about getting a printer myself one day, until then though
    Yes Chris even I have been toying with the idea, but sanity has told me that I need a new bandsaw first.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Chris, I have the Simon Mann models and the Henry Turner ones so I have 74, 74, 80, 112, 114, 136 gun ships.

Rob, check out the Wikipedia page for Venus in Swedish for colour plates for Venus.