Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What’s on your workbench for May?

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Do the decks not come "pre-holed" for masts? If not then thats some very valuable feedback for Henry.
    They do, but for the size of his masts they're more "pilot holes"--I'm thinking about suggesting a jig for forming masts out of stiff wire. They're about 1mm sockets for 1.5mm pegs.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    Rob, very very pretty, a really candy for the eyes. You have achieved something really difficult, integrate the colors of the model into the background with a feeling of considerable realism.
    Thank you very much Sir. Coming from the Maestro that is praise indeed.
    Also thanks for the Rep.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

DB, for my Canada (and all of the resin prints), I discovered I had to use a bit between thumb and forefinger carefully and slowly reaming out the holes. A pinvise or Dremel would destroy the deck or bulwarks.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Thanks, Vol--the only trouble-spots I've had with my pinvise are Canadas and the jib sockets. It might help that I start with a very small bit and "progressively bore" rather than doing it all at once, and at the same time I shave the mast or jib so I'm working the problem from both sides, and that on the ships that arrived un-rafted I started drilling from the bottom up. Quite agree that power tools are contraindicated here. :)

How far inside the hull is the jib supposed to seat? I'm considering taking the Easy Button, cutting that much off, shaving the jib sides to clear those two posts (forgive me, name escapes me) and supergluing that.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I must also say a thank you to Vol for the Rep he has awarded to me.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here are a few shots of the completed Tripoli and harbour prior to ships and extras being added.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And the dockside defences.
    Last edited by Bligh; 05-29-2021 at 09:51.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The Castle rock and town defences.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

After considering the target size of my 3D printed Spanish fleet it grew a little. These are the ships I'm currently planning.
    My primary goal is to have the "correct" ships for Trafalgar, but also the number of ships to play Cape St Vincent.

New paint scheme refers to what was painted at Trafalgar and older is either from paintings or generally not just a yellow line for each gun deck.

Nepomuceno Ildefonso Montañés Nicolás Maregildos Purísima Concepción
    New paint scheme
    San Juan Nepomuceno *
    San Francisco de Asis *
    San Agustin

Old paint scheme
    San Pablo *
    San Isidro *
    San Antonio *
    New paint scheme
    San Ildefonso *

Old paint scheme
    San Francisco de Paula
    Infante don Pelayo
    Conquistador
    Soberano
    New paint scheme
    Montañés *
    Monarca *
    Argonauta *
    Neptuno *
    Old paint scheme
    San Nicolás de Bari *
    Fenix
    New paint scheme
    Santa Ana
    Principe de Asturias
    Real Carlos

Old paint scheme
    Mejicano
    Salvador del Mundo
    Conde de Regla
    New paint scheme
    Purísima Concepción

Old paint scheme
    San José
    * Painted hull

I haven't decided how to handle San Justo yet. She will have a modern paint scheme, but I'm not sure what model I should use. I'm leaning towards Nepomuceno.
    Still want Henry to make Rayo from Fenix. Don't have any idea for 64s, other than using Sails of Glory mini 74s.
    Last edited by TexaS; 05-31-2021 at 05:27.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Here are a few shots of the completed Tripoli and harbour prior to ships and extras being added.
    That is truly beautiful!

Now I long to see it in action.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That will hopefully happen at Doncaster in September Jonas. Thank you for your help with the Frigates. They are next on my painting list.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

September? That's a tight month for me. I would have liked to visit now that the world opens up to vaccinated people. Well, I guess there'll be more chances.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

What a beautiful crafted port Rob, I look forward to seeing it later this year

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

A good start, Jonas... personally I'm trying to build the complete classes ship-for-ship, which means I'm gonna need Slade 74's and Temeraires by the job-lot. And a LOT of creativity giving them each unique identification markings that still either look believable or at least don't stand out as unbelievable. (Canada's green beakhead is rather more so than the Rogers Collection model, but at least you can see some green color when you look down on it.)

If you haven't already you might also check Todo A Babor for additional color ideas... either Purisima Concepcion or one of the Meregildos seems to have later been repainted with a variation of the black "wedge" on the forward quarters associated with San Jose.

San Antonio is also kind of up in the air re her class... she's newer than Bahama, which is kind of a transitional form between the older Gautier designs and the later "second-phase" French inspired ones like Ildefonso-Montanes. I had penciled her in closer to Ildefonso but I could *very* easily be wrong when all I have to work with is date and dimensions--even the models at Madrid are of dubious identity.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

The 3d ships have started a volcano of activity in May. Brilliant work on the ships and Robs harbour defences are superb, especially the way they blend into the background scene.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    September? That's a tight month for me. I would have liked to visit now that the world opens up to vaccinated people. Well, I guess there'll be more chances.
    A great pity Jonas. We would love to have you over here for Doncaster.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    What a beautiful crafted port Rob, I look forward to seeing it later this year
    And I will supply the Port as usual Chris.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just done my PMs and saw the Rep. Thanks very much Chris and John.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is the completed village and "English Fort."

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And here it is in situ.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    A good start, Jonas...
    Well. It's still a lot of ships...

If you haven't already you might also check Todo A Babor for additional color ideas... either Purisima Concepcion or one of the Meregildos seems to have later been repainted with a variation of the black "wedge" on the forward quarters associated with San Jose.
    I've seen the site, and found inspiration there, but I'm not sure which wedge you are talking about.

San Antonio is also kind of up in the air re her class... she's newer than Bahama, which is kind of a transitional form between the older Gautier designs and the later "second-phase" French inspired ones like Ildefonso-Montanes. I had penciled her in closer to Ildefonso but I could *very* easily be wrong when all I have to work with is date and dimensions--even the models at Madrid are of dubious identity.
    Yes, I know. I wasn't sure on where to place it. Is it more looking like the new or the old? I just thought that there'll be enough of Ildefonso/Montanes anyway as they are very much alike.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

A great pity Jonas. We would love to have you over here for Doncaster.
    Rob.
    And I would have loved to be there. Probably my last Vätternrundan, biking 315 km around a lake for the twentieth time the first weekend, a LARP the second and then prepping for LinCon.

Do you have the date?

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Here is the completed village and "English Fort."
    This is more akin to the size of my "Colonial port". Less in size and scope than your other marvelous builds.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I've seen the site, and found inspiration there, but I'm not sure which wedge you are talking about.
    San Jose is depicted, between one of their images and Wikipedia's, with a roughly triangular black marking in the yellow bands, the rear a vertical line starting at the rear of the #2 UD port straight down to its LD counterpart, the angle sweeping down from the front of UD #2 to just behind MD#1 and continuing down and forward.

And yeah, that is still a lot... even with better tools and techniques, the only reason I'm doing this well with my fifteen is "batch processing," doing everything I can with the same color or tool at the same time.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

And here’s the latest hull:

Name:  125F0508-738F-44C1-88A4-356B73B475B4.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  136.0 KB

Name:  B2D10A53-36BD-4F7B-9F3E-16347D5A2AF9.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  97.7 KB

Name:  7547B9C2-2CBD-47E7-B660-42F4EDB0939A.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  129.8 KB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

San Jose is depicted, between one of their images and Wikipedia's, with a roughly triangular black marking in the yellow bands, the rear a vertical line starting at the rear of the #2 UD port straight down to its LD counterpart, the angle sweeping down from the front of UD #2 to just behind MD#1 and continuing down and forward.
    Ah, yes I know now. The black that protects the paint when getting the anchor in place.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

So that is what its for Jonas!

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Monarca was almost finished yesterday but I did a little touch up on my coffee break. The good thing and the bad thing about working from home.

Name:  1AB24612-4C4E-4BBC-86C9-B00203147E4C.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  164.5 KB

Name:  22D533EC-CE43-47A7-8D7D-861CCA25FC80.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  72.3 KB

Name:  677F0A8B-BE3F-4834-9A68-15331C7AAF35.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  138.9 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am almost ready for starting work on my Swedish Frigates Jonas. Was it likely that all three had a similar colour scheme to Venus or did they have differing identifiable markings?

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I do not know specifically for that class, but most Swedish ships have been quite individual. I would suspect that goes for these too. There's a model of a Bellona-class frigate in Sjöhistoriska museet (Maritime museum) in Stockholm that has a differently shaped stern gallery all together. I even think that model predated the actual ships.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Right Jonas I will follow that advice.
    Any favourite colour combinations that you like?
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Meanwhile I am just finishing off the Port of Tripoli with the outlying rocks and shoals. Firstly mapping out to scale, and then cutting the bases out of Plasticard, using the same paper template system that Clipper's Elves use on his ships.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Rob.
    I kinda like the version I made my home built version.

It's also based on this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedis...e_Venus_(1783)

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

So, in light of lack of evidence... right now I'm thinking to paint Ganges similar to Culloden but with no black strake between UD/LD (1780s brighter yellow; more like Polyphemus and America) and Invincible similar to Tremendous but with two white stripes instead of "single high." Unless a contemporary painting or dockyard model turns up before my white paint arrives...
    Last edited by Diamondback; 05-31-2021 at 17:27.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Some more pics including Collision Repairs...

The Gangeses, Ganges herself just started into hull work. In the middle, Tremendous and Invincible waiting for white paint.

The Canadas, with collision-repair lanterns on both Orion and Majestic.

Collision-repair lanterns on Purisima Concepcion.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Nice repair jobs DB, and the painting is going well too. Unlike Nelson's lack of Frigates, it would seem that the clarion call of this epedemic is lack of white paint.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I have a good mix of colors and tools on-order from Sprue Brothers to fill my case... next thing will be the tedious scutwork of drilling sockets and filing and trimming masts, while I wait to see what Henry and I can work out for misplaced and missing.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Nice work DB. And as I said before, when painted you can't see the repair.

I think I have dropped a quarter of my ships and without fail they always land on the lanterns. I've found them several times and glued them back. You've done a great job of replacing them with other things.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am now seeking further help from you Jonas.
    Can you point me toward a place where I can download a picture of your Swedish ship commissioning pennant so that I can make a decal out of it? Also did your Commodores fly a specific pennant?

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My shoals and rocks for the approaches.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And all in place ready for the encounter.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

My pennant is basically just a block of blue and yellod that I print and then cut out in the shape of the pennant.

I'm not sure about the historical use of the broad pennant. I'll check with a friend.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Ganges bulwarks done. A little more work on the yellows, then the lanterns and she's waiting for masting. Paint for the rest of the fleet due in another 4 days.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My pennant is basically just a block of blue and yellod that I print and then cut out in the shape of the pennant.

I'm not sure about the historical use of the broad pennant. I'll check with a friend.
    Thanks Jonas.

Rob.

After considering the target size of my 3D printed Spanish fleet it grew a little. These are the ships I'm currently planning.
    My primary goal is to have the "correct" ships for Trafalgar, but also the number of ships to play Cape St Vincent.

New paint scheme refers to what was painted at Trafalgar and older is either from paintings or generally not just a yellow line for each gun deck.

Nepomuceno Ildefonso Montañés Nicolás Maregildos Purísima Concepción
    New paint scheme
    San Juan Nepomuceno *
    San Francisco de Asis *
    San Agustin

Old paint scheme
    San Pablo *
    San Isidro *
    San Antonio *
    New paint scheme
    San Ildefonso *

Old paint scheme
    San Francisco de Paula
    Infante don Pelayo
    Conquistador
    Soberano
    New paint scheme
    Montañés *
    Monarca *
    Argonauta *
    Neptuno *
    Old paint scheme
    San Nicolás de Bari *
    Fenix
    New paint scheme
    Santa Ana
    Principe de Asturias
    Real Carlos

Old paint scheme
    Mejicano
    Salvador del Mundo
    Conde de Regla
    New paint scheme
    Purísima Concepción

Old paint scheme
    San José
    * Painted hull

I haven't decided how to handle San Justo yet. She will have a modern paint scheme, but I'm not sure what model I should use. I'm leaning towards Nepomuceno.
    Still want Henry to make Rayo from Fenix. Don't have any idea for 64s, other than using Sails of Glory mini 74s.
    Jonas, Simon Mann has a 64 gun Spanish ship.
    https://www.wargaming3d.com/product/...gun-1787-1815/

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Jonas, Simon Mann has a 64 gun Spanish ship.
    https://www.wargaming3d.com/product/...gun-1787-1815/
    Thank you, Vol!

Now my 64 gun Spanish ships will fit in better with the fleet.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If I may ask you one more question Jonas.
    Do you have any data on the approximate numbers of crewmen for the Bellona Frigates?
    I am now producing the cards for my three.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I am now seeking further help from you Jonas.
    Can you point me toward a place where I can download a picture of your Swedish ship commissioning pennant so that I can make a decal out of it? Also did your Commodores fly a specific pennant?

Rob.
    After some searching and looking in old tombs of knowledge this is what could be found.

Name:  9C16F2A6-FBF1-4DD4-A59F-7480370913B9.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  111.4 KB

Apparently the Swedish Högsjöflottan didn’t fly pendants for the rank of the flagofficer back then, but the role he played.
    Division commander would be the most probable pennant in this case. The last but one.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

If I may ask you one more question Jonas.
    Do you have any data on the approximate numbers of crewmen for the Bellona Frigates?
    I am now producing the cards for my three.

Rob.
    I can't remember the number, but I can look for it.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Rob.
    I just realized that this is not only historical and quite Swedish looking. It's also very good looking.

( Note: The flag is of a warship not a merchant... )