Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What’s on your workbench for May?

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I took it as that.

Next ship will be Neptuno. Just started painting her exterior.

Name:  D6FFE18A-85E8-4EBD-B3CC-1F5A7F9372B4.jpg
Views: 1280
Size:  168.0 KB

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Jonas, is that brown shade your standard for Spanish inside bulwarks? Was just thinking if so, I might take a cue from you and detail the two PC's in the same shade as I used for Canada and Orion's hulls. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I have been using it on the bulwarks to avoid having the same colour on the gun carriages and bulwarks. I wanted the gun carriages stand out more. It might not be perfectly historically accurate, but it's a reddish brown...

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Thanks, amigo. You just got the two Spanish threedeckers moving again... color me dumb, but were there any glass skylights anywhere in the upper decks or was illumination all candles and whatever came in the hatches?
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Trial run browning the bulwarks and details on the PC's. They've now leapfrogged to "most complete" even with Concepcion needing new lanterns.

Anyone heard anything from Henry lately, by the way?
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

As for Victory... can't find the original image I was working from again, seriously considering stripping her back to primer and going Early Georgian varnished wood with Prussian Blue.

This just doesn't cut it as a reference...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Henry's just releasing his Kickstarter for Napoleonic soldiers.

Age of Admirals, as he call the Napoleonic era ships, is not on the table until possibly late summer/autumn.

After looking a bit into Rayo I'm thinking he could make a modified Fenix and be close. More or less what Santissima was to the common three decker. It would be a new ship for a tenth of the work. But, I'm dreaming here. I've even downloaded Blender to see if I could do it myself and realized CADs look different to how they looked back in the 80ies, early 90ies when I last worked as a mechanical engineer.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Just thought I'd check because my print batch appears to have had a mismatch on mizzenmasts (over one First Rate, under one Third Rate, missing three spankers), and he's kinda quiet on emails. Not gonna ask him about sending replacements, was thinking more ask him if he'd give permission to see if anyone here on this side of the Pond could print me replacements at reasonable cost.

Test fitting masts on HMS San Josef, see if anybody can spot the Oops... :) (Other than that I'm not fighting with spankers until I have everything else sorted out and ready for install, anyway.)

As for modifying Fenix, it worked fullscale, no reason it shouldn't in miniature--also the reverse reducing ST back to a three-decker. (I'm assuming the stalled Ares Special will be the four-decker version.)
    Last edited by Diamondback; 05-25-2021 at 02:18.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

They have even changed significantly since I retired in the early 2000s Jonas.
    I am even looking at the clarity detail on your chaps photographs, and thinking that I need to get out my old SLR and tripehound to get some decent shots of mine. Although the compact is good, I find that the focus on closeups can be a bit lacking in sharpness, or maybe it is just my eye again.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

But I was a leading edge aerospace engineer! CATIA high tech stuff run on supercomputers back in -92. It shouldn't be so far behind where free software to be run on home computers in my home are now. It's just... Oh... thirty? That's not possible...

I use my iPhone. I think it works ok. Just get lights on the object and sometimes tap it to make sure the focus is in the right place in the picture.
    Last edited by TexaS; 05-25-2021 at 04:27.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Only had my iPhone a week Jonas. Not tried any photos on it yet, but Mrs Bligh gets some crackers on hers.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Work on cliff top almost completed. Next is to finish the cliffs around the mole and harbour.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Excellent work Rob. Its really coming along nicely.
    Anthony
    "It seems to be law inflexible and inexorable that he who will not risk cannot win."
    John Paul Jones

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    I took it as that.

Next ship will be Neptuno. Just started painting her exterior.

Name:  D6FFE18A-85E8-4EBD-B3CC-1F5A7F9372B4.jpg
Views: 1280
Size:  168.0 KB
    Jonas:

I just set up my Photon Mono. I bought a bottle of Anycubic grey plant based resin to start with. I have a couple of question: Which slicer are you using? Are those supports and base automatic or did you configure them manually?

What exposure times have you been using?

I did also get a W&C station. I found a used Anycubic W&C original version on Ebay. Of course after I got it Anycubic dropped the price on the 2.0! Hopefully it should work fine for smaller prints.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I use Lychee for supports, but if you want anti-aliasing to work you have to slice it with Anycubics own slicer.

The automatic supports are not that good. I place them manually. Medium supports quite close as you can see in the picture. Even closer at the lowest points as that's where it starts. Then I put light supports to the catheads and possibly to the lower parts of lanterns. I don't support any guns.

I use 2s and 20s. They may vary with what resin you use. I got the times from watching youtube instructions and there's some calibration prints you can print that will let you see if it's over exposed or under exposed from how they print.

I'm not sure what the difference is with the W&Cs, but as long you can put the build plate in it without having to remove the prints, it'll be great.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

And by the way...

Name:  31822069-B323-4652-988C-25F9E434E02D.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  166.3 KB

Looks like this now.

And by the way...

Name:  31822069-B323-4652-988C-25F9E434E02D.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  166.3 KB

Looks like this now.
    Thanks for the info. I have been playing around with Anycubic's slicer. There is a calibration print included on the USB with the printer and I will use that. Starting out with some WWII coastal boats.

She looks great!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Finished.

Name:  406ACD1E-570F-46D1-8C8B-437D9FC34C6D.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  153.2 KB

Name:  8DECF8A9-1389-4199-B158-64DBE0348CB5.jpg
Views: 1107
Size:  111.2 KB

Name:  AFA0E7C5-B0C1-4A00-96AB-153325ADFE59.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  118.3 KB

Big question now is which hull I should paint now.

Name:  B1F4D5DA-8B95-4442-868A-EAD292698A58.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  165.4 KB

Bottom right and all on supports are to be painted, but where do I start.

Jonas do you use washes or inks, in particular on the deck?

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

There’s a how-to on how I do my decks.

Here’s a link for painting ideas for Spanish, by the way.
    https://www.carlosparrillapenagos.es/pintura-naval/
    It may have been posted before but I put it here just in case anyway.

There’s a how-to on how I do my decks.

Here’s a link for painting ideas for Spanish, by the way.
    https://www.carlosparrillapenagos.es/pintura-naval/
    It may have been posted before but I put it here just in case anyway.
    Great I'll look for it thanks.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That Spanish coat of arms on the stern is just the gilt on the gingerbread Jonas. That is what I call serious one upman SHIP.

Superlative work.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My harbour extension is now completed. Tomorrow I hope to have it and the upgraded town in position.
    Rob.

Looks great Rob! I can't wait to see it with the town. Anthony
    "It seems to be law inflexible and inexorable that he who will not risk cannot win."
    John Paul Jones

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

That is a great looking harbour part, Rob.

And that play of words was great too.

Thank you for your kind words. When I saw that coat of arms on the big models I thought I could do it a little bit too big and just put a little red in the white and a little yellow in the red and the brain will do the rest. I really liked how it turned out so I have kept doing them. Mostly I don't know the stern gallery decoration for the ships. I may go back and touch up some of the first, just to make them unison.
    Last edited by TexaS; 05-26-2021 at 22:19.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Gun carriages for two fair Spanish ladies, along with Purisima Concepcion's gallery...

Now why can't the supply depot get the white I need for her beakhead and Tremendous's stripes? :(
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Great work, DB.

After reflecting on what Rob said and that I really like the coat of arms I looked at the finished hulls... I’m not sure if I should change anything even though I can easily see which was painted first and which I had learned a lesson or two.

Name:  6A65D398-6E86-47B4-8032-7A139BC9CD7F.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  104.1 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I personally would not touch them Jonas. Not all dockyard maties were as puncticillious as you are with their workmasnship, and for what it's worth they all look splendid to me.

Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Thanks, Jonas. Personally, I think the replacement lanterns stand out like a good hard turn-the-outies-into-innies kick in the junk, but...

Yours are all unique, all beautifully painted and all "can't find any reason NOT to consider them believable." :) Still trying to select schemes and find references for planning my batch of Nepomucenos when I find a way to get them printed... Jonas, how would you say Henry's SJN's or whichever Ildefonsino you're using compare to Ares Bahama?

Right now I'm tentatively inclined to say we can use existing Spanish 74 sculpts for:
    Turner Nepomuceno (open gallery)
    bold=Ares correction
    Ares SGN112 Bahama (closed gallery) Ildefonso-Montanes
    1766 San Juan Nepomuceno
    1766 San Pascual Bailon
    1767 San Francisco de Asis
    1768 San Agustin

1768 San Lorenzo
    1769 San Francisco de Paula
    1769 Santo Domingo
    1768 San Isidro
    1768 San Julian
    1770 San Pedro Apostol
    1771 San Pablo
    1772 San Gabriel
    1771 San Joaquin
    1772 San Juan Bautista
    1773 Santo Angel de la Guarda
    1773 San Miguel
    -----
    1782 HMS San Miguel
    1797 HMS San Ysidro
    1805 HMS San Juan
    -----
    1799 FR Alliance
    1776 San Damaso
    1779 San Justo
    1782 San Fermin
    1783 San Sebastian
    1784 Bahama
    -----
    1797 HMS San Damaso
    1805 HMS Bahama
    1785 San Antonio
    1785 San Ildefonso
    1788 San Francisco de Paula
    1788 San Telmo
    1789 Europa
    1790 Intrepido
    1791 Infante don Pelayo
    1791 Soberano
    1792 Conquistador
    1794 Monarca
    1794 Montanes
    1795 Argonauta
    1795 Neptuno
    -----
    1801 HMS San Antonio
    1805 HMS Ildefonso
    -----
    1801 FR St Antoine
    1801 FR Intrepide
    1801 FR Conquerant
    1802 FR Desaix
    Note: Todo A Babor reconstruction shows San Damaso with enclosed gallery, 1797 as-taken British drawing shows closed lower open upper.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 05-27-2021 at 16:00.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I personally would not touch them Jonas. Not all dockyard maties were as puncticillious as you are with their workmasnship, and for what it's worth they all look splendid to me.

Rob.
    You are of course right. I'd better paint more hulls and get the fleet finished rather than get bogged down by details that really are good enough.
    If I want to make a better looking stern on a ship, I should print a new one and paint that one better when these are finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Thanks, Jonas. Personally, I think the replacement lanterns stand out like a good hard turn-the-outies-into-innies kick in the junk, but...
    I honestly think they look enough like the originals, just not painted. The texture of the lanterns themselves is more or less useless to me as they are too small to do anything with, but I don't mind them sculpting the lanterns well. When you put some paint on them and it's finished I think it will be hard to see the difference.

Yours are all unique, all beautifully painted and all "can't find any reason NOT to consider them believable." :) Still trying to select schemes and find references for planning my batch of Nepomucenos when I find a way to get them printed...
    I tried to find paintings or models to use as reference to make them believable if not historically correct. A lot of the paintings are from the front and doesn't show the stern gallery, and when they do, it's often very simplified or dark, hiding any details. I was a little bit worried that more than thirty years difference in paintings and models being a completely different medium would give them a bit too much diversity, but I find that Simon vs Henry probably made a bigger difference.

Jonas, how would you say Henry's SJN's or whichever Ildefonsino you're using compare to Ares Bahama?
    I'm still planning to use it, but I havent really looked at it sinca I started to paint the hulls. I may take some pictures later.

Right now I'm tentatively inclined to say we can use existing Spanish 74 sculpts for:
    Turner Nepomuceno (open gallery)
    bold=Ares correction
    Ares SGN112 Bahama (closed gallery) Ildefonso-Montanes
    1766 San Juan Nepomuceno
    1766 San Pascual Bailon
    1767 San Francisco de Asis
    1768 San Agustin

1768 San Lorenzo
    1769 San Francisco de Paula
    1769 Santo Domingo
    1768 San Isidro
    1768 San Julian
    1770 San Pedro Apostol
    1771 San Pablo
    1772 San Gabriel
    1771 San Joaquin
    1772 San Juan Bautista
    1773 Santo Angel de la Guarda
    1773 San Miguel
    1776 San Damaso
    1779 San Justo
    1782 San Fermin
    1783 San Sebastian
    -----
    1782 HMS San Miguel
    1797 HMS San Damaso (note, SD and Bahama are dimensionally very close;
    main visible difference is Open vs Closed galleries)
    1797 HMS San Ysidro
    1805 HMS San Juan
    -----
    1799 FR Alliance
    1784 Bahama
    1805 HMS Bahama
    1785 San Antonio
    1785 San Ildefonso
    1788 San Francisco de Paula
    1788 San Telmo
    1789 Europa
    1790 Intrepido
    1791 Infante don Pelayo
    1791 Soberano
    1792 Conquistador
    1794 Monarca
    1794 Montanes
    1795 Argonauta
    1795 Neptuno
    -----
    1801 HMS San Antonio
    1805 HMS Ildefonso
    -----
    1801 FR St Antoine
    1801 FR Intrepide
    1801 FR Conquerant
    1802 FR Desaix
    This is a great table! I wish I had that when I decided which ships to paint. It wouldn't made any difference, but it'd been so much easier. I went through OoBs and referenced the ships to find out age and size to decide what ship it would be unless already clearly in a class.

As there are a few 80s (or 74s used as 80s) in there, I'm wondering if we should add the Fenix/San Nicolas de Bari.

I asked Henry on Facebook if he had considered Rayo from Fenix. He said he'd add it to his monthly poll among his Patreon for paying members. That was a bit of a bummer as I'd rather see a Neptune-class or even a London-class rather than a little mofification to an existing model. And the patreons have alredy voted on WWI ships for the last months so I have little hope that will work out. By the way, those sculpts end up on Wargamer3D or some site like that after a while.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

It’s the British flagged ship, but I think it’ll do. They are basically the same anyway.

Name:  F331AF57-B285-4A1D-9AD1-D6788A14046D.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  180.4 KB

Name:  D3093BA8-5655-4BF9-85CE-9D32ED4DDC6E.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  147.3 KB

Name:  1138A935-C8D6-4815-8F85-DE0197E7D5FE.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  146.7 KB

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Jonas, I only include the Montanes class because they're structurally and dimensionally almost identical to the Ildefonsos they're an evolution of. That's a proven Structural Engineering relationship and a very close one, the first column is basically a list of Francisco Gautier's 74's, which could vary up to four meters within the same "nominal" class. Did I ever send you the spreadsheet I started building on Spanish ships?

Pre-Montanes 80's are enough bigger, and I haven't seen sufficient drawings for a "shape" comparison," that at this point I'm just not comfortable lumping them in with the 74's, or necessarily even clustering them into a single sculpt.

Bahama and Ildefonso should be about 53mm LGD (for model purposes measure below LD ports), Gautier 74's range from ~51 to ~55.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

They are spot on.

(Not the Bahama since I don't have any "correct model for her yet, but the others.)

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

So we're still thinking "demote Ares Bahama to a 64-gunner and replace," then. Actually, on LGD Ares Bahama almost looks more like a very fat 50... I need to get one of my SGN104's and an SGN102 out of storage to see how they size up.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

That's what I'm thinking so far. I don't have any other Spanish 64.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

That's what I'm thinking so far. I don't have any other Spanish 64.
    64-gunners weren't exactly a thing the Spanish did a lot of... 60's and 68's (some of which were as big as, and even upgunned into, 74's) yes, but their most notable 64's are the three San Pedro Alcantaras including as-launched Bahama.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Jonas, you should find a little surprise that I hope helps in your email. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Demote the Bahama to a 64 and fill the gap will fill in my gap there DB. Only wish we had some Spanish Sloops. My Barbary pirates could do with nicking a couple.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here are a couple of shots of the completed Tripoli Harbour.More to follow tomorrow. Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

It should also be noted that I've revised the table on Spanish 74's above in light of conflicting depictions on San Damaso.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Incredible work Rob! Everything blends perfectly with the backdrop as well. Very impressive, sir, very impressive indeed!
    Anthony
    John Paul Jones

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Rob, that's just... just... incredible.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Indeed. Makes me wish we could get a terrain manufacturer to license produce his work.

Hating the Canada class right now... even when I start with absurdly tiny bits, drilling the mizzen breaks the on-deck bitt(?) every time. I'm starting to think about suggesting a tool for cutting masts from round toothpicks... Had several folks ask if it was just them or I'd gotten better with Purisima Concepcion, biggest change is finding nerve to tackle gallery windowframes.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 05-28-2021 at 09:01.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Indeed. Makes me wish we could get a terrain manufacturer to license produce his work.

Hating the Canada class right now... even when I start with absurdly tiny bits, drilling the mizzen breaks the on-deck bitt(?) every time. I'm starting to think about suggesting a tool for cutting masts from round toothpicks...
    Do the decks not come "pre-holed" for masts? If not then thats some very valuable feedback for Henry.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Continentaleye View Post
    Everything blends perfectly with the backdrop as well.
    Anthony
    Backdrop matching with that reddish brown was the most nail biting bit of the job save for one bit of wall with a curve to fit a tower at one end and a compound angle at the other for the sloping rotunda.
    Thanks for the Rep it is much appreciated.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Jonas.
    As you said earlier, maybe we will get to play a game together with it one of these days.
    To think it was all started by Sven because he wanted to do that Battle of the Nile at Doncaster. Otherwise I would probably still be swanning about in the Indian Ocean.
    Thanks for the Rep, it is bringing me even closer to that elusive 1000 points.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Not sure about that DB. Rod Langton and the other parts makers like Julián might have something to say about that one. Also being retired I don't want to start a new dialogue with the Tax man.
    Nice idea though.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Jonas, you should find a little surprise that I hope helps in your email. :)
    Thank you very much!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Do the decks not come "pre-holed" for masts? If not then thats some very valuable feedback for Henry.
    They do. I haven't started to put masts on my hulls yet, so I don't know if I would need to clean out the holes with a drill.

Some of Henry's hulls even have prepared holes for rigging.

Rob, very very pretty, a really candy for the eyes. You have achieved something really difficult, integrate the colors of the model into the background with a feeling of considerable realism.