Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What’s on your workbench for May?

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Starting on Culloden...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just what I was waiting for!
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

San Ildefonso finished.

Name:  849C39A5-84C9-4472-B4DD-C5E3C48A8FC6.jpg
Views: 1120
Size:  115.6 KB

Name:  4341540B-1EBA-4A30-A841-0F89882B92F2.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  78.4 KB

Name:  3AEA4479-7505-4C50-A22B-0D13C2E991E1.jpg
Views: 1140
Size:  101.2 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A fine sight indeed Jonas.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Palm trees now planted, and buildings primed ready for painting.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bligh; 05-19-2021 at 09:36.

Nice scheme colors Jonas, what color is using at the wooden railings? brand, number reference?

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Looks very promising, Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    Nice scheme colors Jonas, what color is using at the wooden railings? brand, number reference?
    Sorry to say, Julián, that it's a mix of two paints. An old Humbrol Acrylic 93 and Citadel doombull brown. My decks is a mix of Humrol acrylic 93 and 34 which is white.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Its coming along very nicely Rob.
    Anthony
    "It seems to be law inflexible and inexorable that he who will not risk cannot win."
    John Paul Jones

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Jonas, the other reason my stripework has improved is that I *plan* on "overshoots" and multiple correction passes to finesse the edges. FIne tuning Culloden and the other Ganges models at the lower stern is going to be a nuisance because I can't get really good angles with my brush until they come off the rafts.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Sorry to say, Julián, that it's a mix of two paints. An old Humbrol Acrylic 93 and Citadel doombull brown. My decks is a mix of Humrol acrylic 93 and 34 which is white.
    I will try to obtain the same colour when I paint your Santísima.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Jonas, the other reason my stripework has improved is that I *plan* on "overshoots" and multiple correction passes to finesse the edges. FIne tuning Culloden and the other Ganges models at the lower stern is going to be a nuisance because I can't get really good angles with my brush until they come off the rafts.
    Well, so do I. I paint outside and then clean up.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    I will try to obtain the same colour when I paint your Santísima.
    Thank you very much.

It's not a problem if it's not the same. There will be big differences noticeable anyways.

Have the new hull reached you yet?

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Well, so do I. I paint outside and then clean up.
    Makes sense, I just have to be slower about it. ~3/16" of drybrush at a time...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Culloden with her line-mate Majestic (full yellow gallery) to starboard and Captain (black-top gallery; shoulda used fellow Nile participant Orion instead) to port.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Those boys are certainly going to add a little panache to your fleet DB.

Rob.

Thank you very much.

It's not a problem if it's not the same. There will be big differences noticeable anyways.

Have the new hull reached you yet?
    No yet.

Thank you, Rob.

Working on ships again.

Attachment 54362
    I will add to the other complements here - Great paint jobs. I like the idea of leaving the ships on the supports for painting too. I should think that you won't see print lines at normal viewing distance. I hope not my Anycubic Mono arrives next week! Also sourced a used W&C station on Ebay.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

As always when dealing with digital stuff there's going to be some steps when you have a surface slightly sloping through the "pixels".

You could probably avoid those that I sanded down slightly by printing the ships at a 45 degree angle on the build plate but that would mean every gun barrel would be pixelated along the length of the barrel, and I think that would be worse. The problem didn't go away with anti-aliasing but it's a little bit smoother so it helped some.

And no, after painting it's hardly noticable without the extra light shining on the edges. At armlength distans it's not noticable at all.
    Last edited by TexaS; 05-20-2021 at 22:19.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Well, more collision repair to do... after successfully repairing Orion, I now need to replace the outer lanterns on Purisima Concepcion after taking her out of the studio to show a friend on Wednesday. (Mind you, this was in a padded case for transport!)

Speaking of Orion, touched her up a little and added a black strake wrapping around the transom--this was at the point where the lower strake meets the stern, so I assumed as an extension of that structure the planking would probably be painted similarly.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have been lying doggo for most of yesterday, apart from the AAR, but hope to get back on the painting trail later today.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I’m still working on my Spanish. I will get the third rates finished before I start on the first rates.

Name:  2453E049-E4A8-4EB2-A314-514F8205D82D.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  165.0 KB

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Jonas, when you have the entire Ildefonso-Montanes family done I may need to ask you about an ID chart for 'em, ditto the Nepomucenos. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

The Ildefonso-Montanes family from what I have gathered are not that interesting in their paint schemes. just the two yellow lines. I have been looking at the modelers for inspiration on stern galleries, but I haven't found much on Monarca yet so she may get just a free styled guess from me.

The Nepomucenos have a longer history and therefor a wider choice, from Cape Vincent 1780 to Trafalgar. There too, the famous ones have paintings and models and the less famous disappears in obscurity and therefore painted as I find interesting but not necessarily "correct".

I can live with guessed but possible paint schemes on some of my ships.

My biggest question is the model for Bahama and Rayo (post rebuild). And Bahama I have a paint scheme for...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Whilst waiting for some glue to set on the fishing village, I made a start on sketching out the Harbour defences.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Then after a few amendments to the design, using the new chart I cut a rough outline of the area from plasticard and glued a similar shap cut from foamboard onto the base.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

After painting the base I tried rough positioning the walls and towers.

Excellent work Rob

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Promising!

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Coming along nicely, Rob.

With all the attention on the Canadas, time for the Gangeses to get some love...

Ganges - no references, on hold until I find some - all "primer only" ships are Black Gray overall

Culloden - eyewitness description from Nile, best guess combined with contemporary general practices referenced on Captain and Majestic. Flat Yellow hull with Black Gray strakes and Golden Yellow beakhead/gallery.

Tremendous - primer only waiting for white paint, based on this painting https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Tr...Canonniere.jpg
    Will have a single high Off-White band on UD with similar gallery markings.

Invincible - primer only no references, on hold until I find some

Minden - based on this painting https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...cropped%29.jpg Desert Yellow and Black Gray hull, Golden Yellow beakhead and gallery railing.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 05-23-2021 at 11:51.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Another ship finished...

Name:  F6CCEEBA-DCFC-484A-9F53-1AD9C4BC0CD9.jpeg
Views: 532
Size:  108.3 KB

Name:  0D7C76E3-A1D6-4611-AB68-52A4CDB82F4E.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  95.0 KB

Name:  3785E026-A657-4595-B767-6C16EB6F9D21.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  137.7 KB

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Looking really good there Jonas

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Ship bell and all. Great stuff Jonas.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for the rep Vol.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is today's progress.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And the start of a bit of extension work behind the town whilst that paint dries.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Looking really good there Jonas
    Any more of yours underway yet Chris?

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Rob, that is going to be one good looking town.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Vol, thank you for the reputation.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Yet another Spanish ship hull finished.

Name:  947FDDB0-43E9-4DF3-90D0-F50FA8A9A47A.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  93.3 KB

Name:  B9AFD89B-28BA-486B-A79A-D30FE391E6BB.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  87.3 KB

Name:  D6377848-5AE3-46EB-949A-0E6845246675.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  113.5 KB

Name:  85E76BE5-E702-478C-A9A5-F3645AFA68AD.jpeg
Views: 477
Size:  129.6 KB
    Last edited by TexaS; 05-24-2021 at 01:33.

Wow! Beautiful! I wish I had your painting skills Jonas!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I agree Vol.
    I was not that good even in the old days.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Magnificent work again Jonas. Rep broadside fired.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The model is moving on a pace today.The walls are all cut to size and trialled before gluing and the end of the rocky outcrop has been modelled and is in place.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now the rock has been shaded and the walls dry brushed and stuck down ready for adding the details.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Thank you both. That magnifying lamp has made wonders.

Thanks for the reputation.

That is gorgeous, Rob!

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Jonas, my GF on your work: "That Jonas guy must be young, or has amazing eyesight (yes, I realise that magnification is a must when painting that small)"

Victory figurehead gilded, other than touchup all hulls now on hold and on to mast assembly and sorting-out.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

A few years past 50 and near sighted...

Funny thing: The one thing on that last ship I'm most proud of is the figurehead. There wasn't any on the model. I just painted that in. Most of the other stuff is just painting in the raised stuff that's already there on the model.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I think she meant it as a compliment, amigo--she's just past 50 herself, and used to do figurines of various kinds herself in her 20's and 30's.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB