Thread: Some historical scenario snapshots from New Zealand

Landsman
    New Zealand

Log Entries
    Name
    Rhys

Default Some historical scenario snapshots from New Zealand

Hi Captains

I have been playing a number of historically-inspired scenarios with my 10- and six-year-old sons recently, using Basic Rules and Enemy in Sight! set-up to keep it simple, not all of which are completed due to changeable attention spans, but which may be picked up again as interest strikes. I've taken a number of photos, which don't count as full AARs, but I thought I'd share for your interest:

Battle of Vizagapatam, 15 September 1804:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Vizagapatam

HMS Centurion [Leopard] receives broadsides from Marengo [Genereux] and Semillante [Courageuse] and delivers one against Marengo in return.
    Name:  IMG_2931.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  152.3 KB

Centurion delivers a partial broadside against the starboard bow of Marengo.
    Name:  IMG_2933.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  166.7 KB

74-gun Marengo manoeuvres to deliver a devastating stern rake against 50-gun Centurion which forced her to strike, reversing the historical outcome of the battle.
    Name:  IMG_2935.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  135.1 KB

I will add additional historically-inspired scenarios and photos as time permits. Next will be HMS Guerriere [Sybille] versus USS Constitution, 19 August 1812.
    Last edited by Panzer_Leader; 04-29-2021 at 06:16.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Nice pics Rhys, I hope you get more games in with your boys.
    What were you using as the Couraguese?

Landsman
    New Zealand

Log Entries
    Name
    Rhys

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Nice pics Rhys, I hope you get more games in with your boys.
    What were you using as the Couraguese?
    Hi Chris, I'm glad you liked them and I'm anticipating more games, especially as winter and rainy weekends head our way in New Zealand.

In the above vignette I was actually using Courageuse from the Starter Set as 'Semillante' (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French...illante_(1791)), which was a 32-gun 12 lb frigate, so I decided Courageuse was representative enough "out of the box".

I'm expecting delivery of SGN113A Mahonesa, as a representative 34/36-gun 12 lb frigate, and Cigar Box Battle 'Cold Water' mat (http://cigarboxbattlestore.bigcartel...r-440-4x6-plus) shortly so am excited for the range of possible historically-inspired vignettes I can play with these and the ships already in my (our) collection.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for that little Indian Ocean interlude Rhys.
    It makes a nice change to the usual and as you may have guessed from my posts is close to my heart.
    Thanks also for the background link which will set the context for those shipmates not au fait with the area of hostilities.
    Despite not being a full AAR it is certainly Rep worthy.

Rep gun discharged.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    New Zealand

Log Entries
    Name
    Rhys

Thanks Rob, I'm glad you enjoyed the change of theatre. My next vignette takes us back to the better known waters of the North Atlantic...

HMS Guerriere versus USS Constitution, 19 August 1812:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Co..._HMS_Guerriere

The HMS Guerriere [Sybille] and USS Constitution sight each other in clear conditions and begin manoeuvring for advantage.
    Name:  MEI9ovMQ.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  132.6 KB

After closing the distance, and narrowly avoiding collision, Constitution and Guerriere fire all guns they can bring to bear at musket-shot range.
    Name:  Fa6jcR-Q.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  159.7 KB

As the frigates continue manoeuvring downwind, Constitution fires its 24-pound guns at long range into Guerriere:
    Name:  -B3Mq8iQ.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  171.8 KB

After absorbing Constitution's long-range fire, Guerriere steers hard to larboard and fires a partial broadside into Constitution's starboard quarter as she clears her gun smoke.
    Name:  IMG_2956.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  149.3 KB

Realising every advantage will be necessary to defeat the heavier Constitution, Captain Dacres manoeuvres aggressively to position Guerriere for a perfect stern rake:
    Name:  jkPPHZ5Q.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  156.9 KB

At this point Commodore Rodgers was carried to the orlop due to injury [or maybe a tantrum] and the battle paused until "more favourable conditions"...
    Last edited by Panzer_Leader; 05-03-2021 at 17:41.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Commodore Rodgers has left us with a fine cliffhanger. Please convey my best wishes to him for a speedy recovery from his indisposition.

Your servant,
    Wm. Bligh Admiral of the Blue.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.