Thread: AAR - 2015 August mission - I'm Envious Only of Glory by ShadowDragon

Default AAR - 2015 August mission - I'm Envious Only of Glory by ShadowDragon

‘I’m Envious Only of Glory’

My version of the 2015 Campaign scenario, ‘I’m Envious Only of Glory’, by TexaS:

https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....y-of-glory-%92

It was a strange couple – a British frigate, the HMS Orpheus and a pirate 3rd rate ship-of-the-line, the Argonauta. It was not your usual fleet.

Aboard the Argonauta, Captain Hal Sparrow had a bad feeling about the mission. Being nursemaid for a far-too-young Royal Navy captain, just wasn’t a proper for a pirate. He paced back and forth on the quarterdeck…back and forth…back and forth…until the ship’s Quartermaster, Ogechukwukama, finally had enough of it.

“You know what Gabriel and Anamaria said….we need to do this to stay in Admiral Wellesley’s good graces. The whole Caribbean knows what the Admiral did to Longshanks”, the African said, referring to the recent destruction of Langshanks’ fleet of three sloops. We cannot afford to be at war with the French, Spanish and British. Then we would be in need of the mercy of the Americans." Oge shuddered at that thought.

“Yes, you are right, Oge, but why did the captain have to be called ‘Hotspur’ – even if he is the son of the Admiral or maybe especially because he’s the son of the Admiral. It’s like my mother’s cursed me with her aspirations of the stage. Oh, I’m sorry…it’s Shakespeare.”

“I well aware of Shakespeare, Hal.”

“Captain Hal, please. The crew might be listening.”

“Sail ho!”, came the hail from the masthead lookout.

Hal and Oge peered intently at the ship as it hove into sight.

“She’s French”, concluded Oge.

“That will make Gabriel happy if we can do some damage Amiral Lamontagne’s fleet, but with, uh….Hotspur here, perhaps we should give turn away. She’s got the weather gauge.”

Name:  T0.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  115.7 KB

While the Argonauta slipped to starboard, the Orpheus headed straight towards the Neptune.

Name:  T1.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  135.0 KB

“What is that idiot doing? Is he trying to engage the Frenchman one-on-one? A frigate’s no match for a proper ship-of-the-line. I make it out to be the Neptune. 80 guns?” Hal asked Oge.

“Yes, the Neptune….80-guns.”

Name:  T2.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  132.5 KB

Hal ran quick calculations in his mind….the wind had picked up carrying the vessels closer together even quicker.

“Together we’re more than a match for the Neptune, but if Captain Henry ‘Hotspur’ Wellesley continues on his path to destruction, the Frenchie can take us out one at a time.”

“Best to keep back and wait for an opportunity”, advised Oge.

“Aye. Helmsman, keep slipping to starboard.”

Name:  T3.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  121.1 KB

The Orpheus closed with the Neptune - her crew was ready to grapple, but she was bow-straight at the Neptune and had no guns to bear on her enemy. The captain of the Neptune was wiser and steered to larboard at the last to bring the Neptune’s forward battery to bear on the smaller ship. It wasn’t a full broadside, but the Orpheus suffered greatly – a fire broke out on the frigate.”

Name:  T4A.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  139.8 KB

[Note: I did the boarding action a turn too soon but I don’t think it affect the games outcome….]

The captain of the Neptune could not believe his luck. The Neptune was grappled with the smaller frigate such that the Neptune’s guns could with no reply from the Orpheus – and even better the smaller ship’s captain was eager for a boarding action – one the Frenchman believed he could not lose.

Meanwhile, the Argonauta held fire. Hal wanted to be in position for a full broadside. He needed maximum damage on the Neptune to counter the foolhardy action of Captain Hotspur Wellesley.

Name:  T4B.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  147.2 KB

When Hal gave the order to fire, the Argonauta was in a perfect position for a full broadside while the Neptune could only respond with her forward larboard battery. The Neptune’s foremast was struck. It swayed for a bit and then gave way suddenly. Sails fell on something hot and burst into flame.

Name:  T5A.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  120.5 KB

The captain of the Neptune had to make short work of the Orpheus so that his ship could disengage with the frigate so that he could engage the Argonauta at advantage or failing that to make break for it – he recognized the pirate flag as one belonging to the fleet of the treasonous Gabriel and knew that French naval officers could expect no mercy.

Name:  T5B.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  138.2 KB

The crew of the Orpheus fought bravely enough but the numbers were against them. Hardly had the action begun when Captain Hotspur Wellesley went down with a wound. The 1st Lieutenant took the opportunity to end the slaughter and ordered the colours struck.

Name:  T5C.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  138.1 KB

The Neptune struggled to disengage with the Orpheus while the Argonauta positioned herself for another telling blow.

Name:  T6.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  129.3 KB

Again, Hal’s timing was perfect, the Argonauta had a full broadside while the Neptune could only reply with half her guns. With his ship on fire and grievous crew casualties from the fight with the British sailors, the Neptune struck, but she had done made the Argonauta feel her sting – a round had hit the Argonauta’s mizzenmast and it snapped in two.

Name:  T7.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  127.5 KB

Oge’s mind was calculating the prize money that an 80-gun ship would fetch when Hal cried out.

“Damnation! What devilry is this?”

A boat had been lowered from the Neptune was heading for the Orpheus. The French captain was surrendering to the British ship.

“She’s our prize, surely!” exclaimed Hal.

“Well, remember that when Amiral Lamontagne put a prize of 2,000 francs on the head of Gabriel?”

“Yes.”

“Gabriel responded with a prize of 20,000 francs on the head of Lamontagne. We don’t have Lamontagne and we don’t have the Neptune, but the thanks of Admiral Wellesley must be worth something. Another day, Hal….another day,” remarked the philosophical African.

“That’s Captain Hal! Maybe you’re right, but there’ll be the devil to pay for this. Mark my words.”

Ship Logs

Name:  Argonauta.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  182.5 KB

Name:  HMS Orpheus.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  189.0 KB

Name:  Neptune.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  194.7 KB

Last edited by ShadowDragon; 04-20-2021 at 15:59.

Well, Hotspur certainly lived up to his reputation and his father's fears charging straight at the Neptune. Captain Hal certainly demonstrated his sailing abilities (and patience) by lining up his full broadsides without exposing the Argonauta to the enemy's broadside. Nice twist at the end regarding the French surrender. A very enjoyable AAR, well done.
    Anthony
    "It seems to be law inflexible and inexorable that he who will not risk cannot win."
    John Paul Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Continentaleye View Post
    Well, Hotspur certainly lived up to his reputation and his father's fears charging straight at the Neptune. Captain Hal certainly demonstrated his sailing abilities (and patience) by lining up his full broadsides without exposing the Argonauta to the enemy's broadside. Nice twist at the end regarding the French surrender. A very enjoyable AAR, well done.
    Anthony
    Thanks, Anthony. The choice of the name, Hal, for Captain Sparrow was no accident. :)

Hal wouldn't have made the French officers walk the plank as Gabriel would have done. More likely dropped them off on a deserted island, but the French officers were not to know that - but they'd probably still have preferred surrendering to a regular naval ship. However, there'll be bad blood brewing over this as it is the 2nd prize ship stolen from the pirates by Royal Naval officers of dubious character.

Thanks for the rep...and it was surprisingly short and decisive. I blame Dobbs' AI chart for that. I only gave Henry the name 'Hotspur' the rest was the dice and the AI charts.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Plenty of swash and buckle there captain. I enjoyed every minute of both the action and the yarn.
    Plus another masterful victory. We all know who really won the golden hotspurs.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Plenty of swash and buckle there captain. I enjoyed every minute of both the action and the yarn.
    Plus another masterful victory. We all know who really won the golden hotspurs.

Rob.
    Thanks for the rep, Rob. Yes, we do know who really won. It is after all a tale where the pirates are the heroes. I like how often the events of a game can drive the storyline along in interesting and unexpected ways.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I always enjoy that bit too where we have to interpret the story line to fit the chits drawn Paul.
    It makes me use the old grey matter, dredge up bits of naval information from the dim and distant past.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Enjoyed the action and story... of course the RN officer should have all the glory anyway on principle
    Keep it going, look forward to more

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Enjoyed the action and story... of course the RN officer should have all the glory anyway on principle
    Keep it going, look forward to more
    Thanks for reading, Chris.

Less about glory and more about prize money - on principal.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Hal strikes again, sorry Captain Hal strikes again. Another enjoyable story in the pirate saga and more to come.

I'm a bit late but am getting there.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Hal strikes again, sorry Captain Hal strikes again. Another enjoyable story in the pirate saga and more to come.

I'm a bit late but am getting there.
    Thanks for the rep, John. You're 'there' as far as the AAR I've done. I've hit a 'mental block' for the Sept mission. I'm not sure if I'll do it as written and cut up bits of paper for the shoals or maybe doing something different - like having the ships go slow so the crew can take soundings or go faster and run the risk of hitting a shoal.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Be a great pity if you don't try it Paul.
    It was great fun to play with so many imponderables.

Rob.

Be a great pity if you don't try it Paul.
    It was great fun to play with so many imponderables.

Rob.
    I will try it, Rob. It's only a question how...(1) as written with the shoals marked out or (2) a more random approach with no clear idea of where the shoals are unless the ship takes soundings...or takes the risk of running aground. But I'm dithering between 'a sense of doing it as written - sort of like not marking a book you own because, well, you don't as you were taught not to or something that's probably more realistic. The first is a test of sailing a marked course and the other a test of patience. I guess I'm like a donkey starving to death between two bales of hay because I can't decide.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If it helps you can use my random cards for running aground which I will be employing again shortly. I am adding a few mor tweaks at the moment.

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

I've always regarded these scenarios as a basis for an interesting game without having to think too much about the scenario and if you chose to change it that's fine and if you get a good game then that's all the original setter would wish, so go with your desire.

I enjoyed this as designed but I can see the way you're thinking and I'm sure that would give a good solo game just maybe a bit more work on the scenario.

I seem to have stalled on the next scenario, I started to play it and then realized I didn't understand the rules so will probably skip it. I'll be interested in your take on it when you get there.

If it helps you can use my random cards for running aground which I will be employing again shortly. I am adding a few mor tweaks at the moment. Rob.
    That's a good idea, Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I've always regarded these scenarios as a basis for an interesting game without having to think too much about the scenario and if you chose to change it that's fine and if you get a good game then that's all the original setter would wish, so go with your desire.

I enjoyed this as designed but I can see the way you're thinking and I'm sure that would give a good solo game just maybe a bit more work on the scenario.

I seem to have stalled on the next scenario, I started to play it and then realized I didn't understand the rules so will probably skip it. I'll be interested in your take on it when you get there.
    I'm just thinking of something simple - roll each turn to see if the ship has run aground with the chance and severity increasing according to the speed. Then there'd be the tension of freeing the ship while the enemy approaches...and perhaps running aground too. On the other hand both Rob and you enjoyed the game as designed....so there's that. Should probably run the scenario both ways but I doubt I'd get around to doing that.

If it helps you can use my random cards for running aground which I will be employing again shortly. I am adding a few mor tweaks at the moment.

Rob.
    You'll to point me in the right direction, Rob. I remember you using them but now I can't find them....probably right in front of my nose.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here are the cards I think you may find useful. These can be duplicated to give you the ratio of chance that you would like for any scenario. The pack can be split and only drawn from if a certain circumstance takes place. If the outcome reffers to the enemy, ignore it for your own ship and just apply it to the nearest enemy ship.
    Hope this is useful.
    Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks, Rob. Those will be useful. I think I'll give the scenario a go with the uncertain/unknown locations of the sand bars. I'll keep the giant steps as the stones would be protruding from the water....at least some of them.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Glad you will find the cards useful. If you would like any specials turning out just let me know, and thanks for the Rep.

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Rob thanks for the work on the cards, I've grabbed them as well as the others you've posted.
    Cheers

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Again John, the same goes for you. If you think of anything special let me know and I'll knock one out for you.
    Rob.