Thread: Limping to Safety (Part Two)

Default Limping to Safety (Part Two)

LIMPING TO SAFETY (Part 2)

Scenario: March 1779 – two days after the action with the Bonhomme Richard, Courageuse and Fort Angelique, the HMS Vanguard was still off of the coast of France. Shortly after the battle, a new storm, almost as severe as the one that had dismasted the Bonhomme Richard, blew in with high winds and high seas making it impossible for the Vanguard to return to England. Even in the midst of the storm, the sailors and carpenters of the Vanguard were able to effect repairs on the damaged ship. The mizzenmast was replaced and the damage below the waterline was sealed, no small feat in a raging gale. The ship’s surgeon, Doctor Sildare, treated the wounded and many of the crew were fit enough to return to duty if the need should arise. And the need did arise. In the early morning of the third day following the battle, the Vanguard found itself traveling south pinned against the coastline betwixt a line of dangerous rocks and reefs to the east and two French frigates, the Unite and the L’Inconstante, closing from the west. A high wind blew directly from the west generating treacherous seas.

Rules: The Vanguard begins the scenario with one of the hull boxes and two of the crew boxes covered, a remnant of the previous battle that could not be repaired or replaced. The Variable Wind Strength optional rule is in place and the wind speed is high and from the west and the wind speed and direction will not change during the battle. The stormy weather prevents any grappling or boarding actions. The French frigates will disengage (independently) if they have only three remaining hull or crew boxes unless the Vanguard is in worse shape. In that case, if no frigates have yet disengaged, on a roll of 1 thru 4 on a d6 the frigate will continue the battle. If one of the frigates has already disengaged, a roll of 1 or 2 must be made for the ship to continue its attack. Again, the d6 is rolled only if the Vanguard is in worse shape than the frigate making the roll.

Note: This scenario is inspired by and is a reworking of the 2014 Scenario Contest historical winner “Encounter On A Lee Shore” with a few additions and other alterations to suit my campaign. The original scenario is available on the Ares website.

Captain Favorsham cursed his continued ill luck. After the battle with Bonhomme Richard and Courageuse three days past, a new storm had immediately kicked up and prevented the Vanguard’s return to England for much needed repairs. The Vanguards had done well to repair the ship as much as they had during the inclement weather, but now as the English ship headed into Audierne Bay, it found itself between reefs awash on the larboard while two French frigates closed from the starboard.

“Can you make them out Lieutenant Jameston?” Favorsham asked his first officer.

“I believe they’re the Concorde Class frigates. These accursed French frigates seem to swarm to us like flies,” Jameston replied.
    “More like angry bees I should think. One would do well to remember the respectable sting their sister the Courageuse inflicted upon us. Pinned to the coast like this, I doubt we will outrun them. Let’s put the reefs between us and see how they’ll commit. If they follow us in, they’ll have to split up and if they choose to wait for us outside, it would be folly for them to remain within our range and they’ll not be able to remain on station and ride out this storm.

Jameston stole a glance to larboard. The waves breaking over the jagged rocks were clearly visible, but it was the unseen rocks deep enough to not be awash but not deep enough to pass under the Vanguard’s keel that worried him. And, if either of the French frigates were able to score a lucky shot and dismast the Vanguard as the Courageuse had done, it would be an agonizing death on the rocky shoreline for the British ship.

“Ah good, they have decided to commit. One seems to be headed inside, no doubt in hopes of raking our bow. The course of the other captain seems less clear. Perhaps he’ll try for our stern. Lieutenant Jameston, you may give the order to fire at the lead frigate.”

The gunners let out a quick cheer as flames sprouted from L’Inconstante’s deck. But the sound of the French response spurred them to concentrate on reloading.

The Vanguard had to bring its helm around hard to larboard to avoid the shore and in so doing allowed the L’Inconstante to cross its bow. But with the French gunners still reloading, the fore guns of the Vanguard barked at close range. The two ships were close enough now for their marines to exchange musketry. Meanwhile, the Unite was able to bring its broadside to bear and fire over the reef causing a fire to start on the Vanguard.

With a loud crash and a sound of splintering wood, the Vanguard rammed into the aft quarter of the L’Inconstante. Both ships fired simultaneously and the marines of both ships continued to pick their targets. The starboard guns of the Vanguard hit the L’Inconstante on the French ship’s uproll in the heavy seas and caused major damage below the frigate’s water line.

(An entanglement check was made per the SGN Optional rule and a “0” was drawn meaning no entanglement.)

The bow of the Vanguard scraped along the L’Inconstante and even though the British ship faced into the wind, its momentum carried it past the reef. The Captain of the L’Inconstante realized his ship was sinking and ran it onto the shore in hopes that some of the crew could escape before the surf destroyed the stricken vessel. The Vanguard and the Unite exchanged close range cannon fire.

The Vanguard headed towards the open sea and the Unite attempted to follow.

“The wind hard on the bow but I think our momentum should bring us around to starboard enough for our aft guns to bear,” stated Captain Favorsham.

“Aye Captain, I think your right,” replied Jameston. “Captain, Captain, I think the Frenchman’s misjudged the power of the wind and the surf. I think she’s going to hit the rocks!” he excitedly exclaimed.

As if on cue, the frigate’s forward progress stopped immediately as the rocks ripped into her hull and held her firm. At almost the same instant, the aft guns of the Vanguard exploded and caused further damage to the already doomed ship. It was more than enough to cause the French captain to strike his colors.

(Three “B” damage hits were drawn per SGN Optional rule Terrain Elements-Reefs and the damage totaling higher the Unite’s burden resulted in the Unite running aground.)

A loud cheer erupted from the Vanguards. “We’ll not be able to lower the boats to rescue any of the survivors in these seas Lieutenant Jameston,” Favorsham said. “But we will give them an hour to save who they can before we finish the job.” Noting Jameston’s questioning look he continued, “I know the ship is done for, but since we won’t be able to take or spike the guns in these seas and she’ll go down so close to the mainland, I want to make any salvaging efforts as unfruitful as possible.” Favorsham thought his luck had not been so bad after all.

Attached Images Attached Images             
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-20-2021 at 04:42.
    "It seems to be law inflexible and inexorable that he who will not risk cannot win."
    John Paul Jones

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Another corker Anthony.
    You used those shoals to good advantage.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Great AAR. I love the look of the sea mat, shoals and shoreline.