Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's on Your Workbench for April?

Hybrid View

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default What's on Your Workbench for April?

Today I has been mainly doing Mast ectomies.

Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Have a batch of Henry's ships due to start on their way soon, I'll try to get comparison pics with similar Ares ships once they come in.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Today I has been mainly doing Mast ectomies.

Rob.
    Mast ectomies.....what I said about stitches!
    Are those more resin ships from Rod?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

They are indeed Vol.
    Got a start on the ships today but this second delivery for my British Fleet arrived today and upset the time schedule.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

What I did manage to do is here.

What I did manage to do is here.
    That is an interesting deck configuration Rob. What is that exactly? At first I thought a bomb, but I don't see a mortar.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You are almost spot on Vol. It is one of Rod Langton's Bomb vessels. The two guns are on turntables behind the revetments.

You may see them better now I have started painting the deck. I will knock out a quick picture for you.

Rob.

Very well done Rob. It looks great.
    Anthony

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Anthony.
    Now I can get on with my two schooners.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here are my cards for the Bomb.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Meshuda Rob?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

No I have two and they are going to be USS Enterprise, and Vixen Vol.
    if they go well my second wave will be USS Nautilus and Meshuda plus the extra gunboats I need for both sides.

Rob.

Quatre frčres*(1796) was an interesting shooner. 12 gun under Tripoly flag and 16 gun under US flag as 'Scourge'.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quat...es_(1796_ship)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Quatre frčres*(1796) was an interesting shooner. 12 gun under Tripoly flag and 16 gun under US flag as 'Scourge'.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quat...es_(1796_ship)
    How perceptive of you my dear friend. These ship names were done by me a couple of hours ago. Mind reading or what? Bye the way no way was I upset by your previous post.
    Rob.

Nightmoss might be interested in this. Yesterday was a windy day so I spent the day cutting mast sets. 7 third rate sets and 5 first rate sets. All of the ends squared off and the tops of the t'gallant masts tapered with a Dremel. They will all be ready for when I feel like wearing a respirator all day to glue them together.

Name:  20210409_185630.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  184.8 KB
    Name:  20210409_185641.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  200.9 KB
    Name:  20210409_185649.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  190.4 KB

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Nightmoss might be interested in this. Yesterday was a windy day so I spent the day cutting mast sets. 7 third rate sets and 5 first rate sets. All of the ends squared off and the tops of the t'gallant masts tapered with a Dremel. They will all be ready for when I feel like wearing a respirator all day to glue them together.
    Very nice, Vol. You've created a healthy supply for future endeavors.

I've taken a break from ship model building to focus on creating some dioramas to actually display existing ships. The prospects of any face to face gaming is non existent at this point so I might as well create some semi permanent displays to enjoy the ships outside of storage boxes
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Very nice, Vol. You've created a healthy supply for future endeavors.

I've taken a break from ship model building to focus on creating some dioramas to actually display existing ships. The prospects of any face to face gaming is non existent at this point so I might as well create some semi permanent displays to enjoy the ships outside of storage boxes
    Haha, no these are for all of those ships I have already painted.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Haha, no these are for all of those ships I have already painted.
    I see. Well, you best get cracking then. You've got a lot of ships laid up that need final fitting out!
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My two schooners move on a pace today.
    Rob.

The "Hold Your Course" cards are an excellent idea Rob!
    Anthony
    "It seems to be law inflexible and inexorable that he who will not risk cannot win."
    John Paul Jones

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The other upside to it which I forgot to mention Anthony, is that you don't have so many cards to search through to find the one you want.
    Just imagine WW1 wings cards cut down by nearly two thirds, for only two extra cards needed.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

BTW, I have a bunch of unused card decks that I could be encouraged to part with...(a list forthcoming if there's an interest.).

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    BTW, I have a bunch of unused card decks that I could be encouraged to part with...(a list forthcoming if there's an interest.).
    Always open to the odd deck of cards Dobbs. To paraphrase Lord Wellington. ' Post and be dammned'.

Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I also have a few spare decks and am looking for some devks for my new ships, maybe we could/ should start a thread listing these

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You mean like a card swap club Chris?

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Hmmm, Rob, this is a good idea! I am thinking that everyone also gets a d10 to indicate what their last card was.

Nice project, Rob.

Still with the Barbary Wars?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    Nice project, Rob.

Still with the Barbary Wars?
    Yes indeed my dear Comte. Soon I will be in a position to post both fleets once I have completed a few schooners and a couple more gunboats. That is why I have had to split decks to cater with all the new non Ares ships. Printing new full decks was costing an arm and an eye in printer inks, photo paper and time.

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Yes indeed my dear Comte. Soon I will be in a position to post both fleets once I have completed a few schooners and a couple more gunboats. That is why I have had to split decks to cater with all the new non Ares ships. Printing new full decks was costing an arm and an eye in printer inks, photo paper and time.

Rob.
    I bought an Epson ET series printer when I last replaced mine. (The first was an ET-2650, but I added an ET-7750 (A3) as well)
    Colour photos cost about the same as Laser mono prints... and the ink tanks last a *very* long time.

There is an upfront investment - it is a bit more than a 'standard' printer, but the running cost is like ink, rather than more expensive than premium champagne, gold and diamonds.

Normal ink cartridges are stupidly expensive for very small usable capacity.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Well, Henry's ships are somewhere in transit and I'm consulting references Rob at Ares sent me to select Vallejo paints for 'em.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

What do you think to Vallego paints DB? My number one son rates them highly, although I have always used mainly Citadel, Foundry or Revell.

Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

What do you think to Vallego paints DB? My number one son rates them highly, although I have always used mainly Citadel, Foundry or Revell.

Rob.
    Vallejo were my go-to for custom repaints in War at Sea days, more convenient for me to get and one of the Forumini crew had pre-built the cross-reference on them for our game. Also liked the easy cleanup (which is common for most acrylic brands) and portability where I could throw a few bottles and a small box with several minis into dead-space in my laptop bag.

I USED to use Testor Model Master for my entire modeling life, but that's problematic with them going the way of the dinosaur. Revell's only just now spinning up over here trying to fill the hole in the market, don't have any experience with Citadel or Foundry. (I avoid Games Workshop stores like they were plague ships...)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I still have two cans of Testor dullcoat and am guarding it like gold DB. It is the only thing I have found which will disguise the opaque bloom that sometimes clouds the models when you varnish them in unsuitable weather conditions.
    Foundry colours have been my paint of choice for years because they give you three paints in the same colour, light, the basic colour, and shade. Also a friend of mine used to run the Company's Nottingham HQ. They were also in direct competition with Workshop and very handy for me to visit. Unfortunately they have now moved to near Newark which means a longer trip for supplies, and you can't just walk in anymore.

I have a few Revell paints but they are not easy to find locally. Vallejo are now obtainable at Hobbycraft, so I will give them a go when we can get into the shop again.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Wait, Testors went under?!? I just bought some Dullcote the other day...maybe I need to have a run on the dwindling supplies!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I only found out from DB Dobbs.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Schooners now undercoated and ready for painting.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Wait, Testors went under?!? I just bought some Dullcote the other day...maybe I need to have a run on the dwindling supplies!
    Rustoleum, their parent company, basiclly gutted the business unit, stripping it down to kits and a handful of basic paints/glues.
    https://www.trains.com/mrr/news-revi...pactra-brands/
    http://rrmodelcraftsman.com/testors-...f-model-paint/
    http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/...ales-affected/

Why even BOTHER making kits if you're not gonna offer the supplies to finish 'em?

While the fancy Flash version is dead, until they build a replacement system Paint4Models has put the original PDF of their Color Reference Chart back up as a workaround if a klunky and crude one. https://www.paint4models.com Still having a devil of a time finding a good match for FS 15200, kind of a Capri Blue, if I ever find another kit and decals to take another run at building an old prof's F-106...
    Last edited by Diamondback; 04-14-2021 at 22:14.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Can't you get a mixed paint to match a sample/specification from a decorators/art supplier? I have had some particular shades mixed up when it was more economical than buying several paints and mixing the same shade by hand. (For application by brush and sponge, and as a wash, not for an airbrush as I don't have one... and I'd varnish before/after the colour coats to make an unknown quality behave as expected on a model, but it might be a possible way of getting any colour you need without the search being long and fruitless.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Did find a supplier who's compliant with FS spec, but ten bucks for two ounces on a project that may never resume is a little steep. Tamiya X23 looks close enough though and a lot cheaper.

This is almost identical to the plane my prof woulda flown, in fact the only reason it wasn't his Boss Bird is a crash a few weeks before he assumed command:
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Barry

This is what WAS on my workbench (living room table) this week.

As I said previously I tried (and succeeded) to do another 7 repaints/rigging of Sails of Glory ships this week.

I didn't work very intensively and was pleased it didn't take as long per ship as doing the first one alone.

1 French Squadron (one 80, three 74s) and one British (one 1st Rate, one 74, two 64s)

Might play with them this week - I'll take a break from modelling!

Name:  Both fleets flash.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  292.4 KB

Name:  Both fleets no flash.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  227.6 KB

Name:  Both fleets 2.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  130.2 KB

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by brasidas69 View Post
    This is what WAS on my workbench (living room table) this week.

As I said previously I tried (and succeeded) to do another 7 repaints/rigging of Sails of Glory ships this week.

I didn't work very intensively and was pleased it didn't take as long per ship as doing the first one alone.

1 French Squadron (one 80, three 74s) and one British (one 1st Rate, one 74, two 64s)

Might play with them this week - I'll take a break from modelling!
    Very nice, Barry! I am particularly interested in your ratlines. Perhaps you could offer a description of how you did them? I assume you drew them up?

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Name:  1AE01F27-1F55-44F1-B638-2787AA2F3220.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  215.6 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Pretty spectacular Jonas.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Name:  7349F80F-AB7A-492B-9607-1E4560B53B21.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  240.8 KB

Quite big indiaman.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Name:  7349F80F-AB7A-492B-9607-1E4560B53B21.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  240.8 KB

Quite big indiaman.
    Indiaman, or Flying Dutchman? lol Is that his Falmouth?

Henry tells me that BHR is planned for his stab at Continentals, and I'm trying to persuade him to also do a Pre-Refit version to upgrade the Ares non-BHR SGN116's.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I had to go back and check the file on the indiaman. It turns out I printed that one in 1:700... It looked too big and it was too big.

Yes, Rob. I've got a 3D resin printer. It's an Anycubic Photon mono. It's quite cheap, and compared to what they cost just a few years ago it was a steal. It's very easy to operate, but the cleaning and curing afterwards is quite a hassle. I just bought a wash and cure station, so I'll see if that helps.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for your info on that Jonas. Looks as if this is the way forward.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    I had to go back and check the file on the indiaman. It turns out I printed that one in 1:700... It looked too big and it was too big.

Yes, Rob. I've got a 3D resin printer. It's an Anycubic Photon mono. It's quite cheap, and compared to what they cost just a few years ago it was a steal. It's very easy to operate, but the cleaning and curing afterwards is quite a hassle. I just bought a wash and cure station, so I'll see if that helps.
    The Mono is the top of my list. I may just start out with the pickle basket and UV nail curer first though. I am taking a long time to pull the trigger but that has more to do with broaching the subject with the admiral then anything else!

I have found some good YouTube channels with tips and equipment for washing and curing. One guy is called "Uncle Jessy" and he has a list of cheap tools to help. (sorry I can't link YT at work).

Which resin have you been using?