Thread: White metal models

Able Seaman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Niek

Default White metal models

Alas it has been a few years hence since I worked on 1:1200 white metal models, so my view may be a little dated. Still, most of the models are still around.

Ares is going to focus on 1:1200, so I'll start there.

Main 1:1200 white metal manufacturers:

GHQ, a limited range of beautifully sculpted hulls, both SOL's and frigates. American-based, and hence sometimes hard to get on the European market. Masts are one piece with a separate sail for the mizzen. Hull and sails come together in one blister per ship. Used to come with just one sail setting, type "manoeuver sail", but "full sails" are now also available. Never seen the latter, though.

NavWar, a larger range of fairly crude hulls. Sails are narrow and have to be glued to the masts. Hull and sails come together in one plastic bag.

Skytrex has a range similar to NavWar, but with even more crude hulls. Hull and sails come together in one plastic bag. "Full sails" are available separately.

Langton has a large range of hulls, which are relatively large w.r.t the three mentioned above. But he really shines in selling masts and sails separately. So you need to buy both the hull and one of about 8 different types of sail settings between "furled" and "Studding sails set". Sails mostly have to be glued to the masts. He also sells a range of accessories, like floating batteries, stuff for harbours, and batteries of land guns. For those who dislike the thickness of the white-metal sails he offers brass photo-etched sails. His booklet on how to paint and rig sailing ships is also very useful.

My ideal is GHQ hulls with Langton sails.

Links:
    http://www.ghqmodels.com/store/milit...icronauts.html
    http://navwar.co.uk/nav/default.asp?MMID=75
    http://www.skytrex.com/381/11200th-n...il-1756--1815/
    http://www.rodlangton.com/

Niek

Midshipman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Darell

thanks allways looking for new models

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I still have a couple of my old Langton '74s around, painted and rigged. Hopefully they will still be in good shape so they can be put to work in SoG.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I think I'll have to pick up a ship or two just to paint up. I've never done any of these kinds of minis and the look rather fun!

got about 50 Langton ships painted, plus another 30-odd unpainted tucked away in drawers, so I should be OK for a bit...

I've said this in a couple other threads, but I will mention it here too. I just picked up one of the GHQ models (very nice) and have another one being donated by a very awesome sailor! (Whom I owe a couple of beers...)

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Blackjohn

I've had two or three for a quarter of a century plus. Maybe this will spur me to finally get around to painting them.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I got a few Skytrex 1/1200 got to dig them out of the loft and re-do. Will need new sails though

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Tommy

The GHQ ships are very well done. If I could paint I would pick some up. Our FLGS has quite a few of them in stock.

2nd Lt
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

I have stated in another room I can paint tanks but other than that glad we get these painted models

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Wayne

The GHQ Hulls are very crisp and detailed but the masts and sails are very thin. I put together the USS Constitution and found it nearly impossible to rig, the masts don't hold fast. Using the GHQ Hulls with the Langton mast and sails would work best. I ended up going with the Langton Squadron packs with all you need to start your fleet.

Do you guys use the Langtons ratlines, and if so the photoetched (which look really nice) or the other ones?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I've at a 74 from Langton, GHQ, and NavWar on the way and I plan on doing a comparison build and paint How To. For the Langton, I picked up the optional photoetched parts to compare as well.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just had a look at GHQ. £ for $ with shipping costs work out about the same, so together with Langton, they should work out about the same price, and give me a good range of different hulls.
    Thanks.
    Rob.