Thread: Water pump clarification

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Default Water pump clarification

About to play our first game. Not sure about if I have a leak marker in ship damage track I can remove and put in special damage area. This pump action removes leak from ship damage track, but is not repaired.
    Do I have to then repair leak by putting leak marker on damage track and perform repair action.
    Excuse my ignorance, but just not sure.
    Many thanks

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Firstly welcome to the Anchorage Kenneth. Please do not forget to sign in on the welcome aboard thread.
    The sequence for repairing a leak is. Move the repair leak action counter to the special camage box. The action is completed at the end of the turn. The action counter and one leak marker are then removed from the Special damage box. The leak is deemed repaired and your action counter may then be used again later if needed.Water damage on the ship damage track is not removed. Pump water action only counters the effect of a leak but does not repair it, so you need to go on pumping until you have effected your repair, otherwise if you stop pumping more boxes will take water damage markers and you will need to pump them dry as well.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Great, many thanks for you time and trouble. All the best to you!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

No trouble Kenneth. That's what we are here for.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Ok the sequence for this is as follows

1. Receive a leak damage chit due to receiving a broadside or such.
    2. Place the chit in the Special Damage box.
    3. At the beginning of each turn, before planning you put a water damage chit in a box on the ship mat damage track. You place a water damage chit on the damage track for every leak counter in the special damage box. See page 33 of rule book.

If you plan a pump water action, this will remove one water damage chit from the ship mat damage track, if not the right hand box still remove the water chit and move any other damage markers to the left to fill any gaps. Pump water will remove water damage but does not repair a leak, so beginning of next turn you will get the water damage back until the leak is repaired. The action is completed as soon as the action is revealed. See page 29 of rule book.

When you plan a repair action this is placed face up, once actions are revealed, and also counts as an action for next turn. See page 31 of rule book Repair damage
    The turn following the repair action is planned you can choose what repair will take effect. If you choose to repair leak move the repair chit to special damage box. At the end of the turn remove one leak counter from the Special damage box and the repair chit goes back into your actions pool. See page 31 of rule book Repairing a leak.

Remember the repair action only repairs one leak.

If you have more than one leak then you need to repair each leak, taking water damage until all leaks repaired.

If you pm me an email I have a sequence/ player aid which may help.
    Trying to get this on the files but dont seem to be able upload at moment.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well that covers the whole gamut of the sequences Chris. Thanks for that. Can you not upload to the files or are the files uploaded getting held up in the moderation chain. I do not have access to this area so maybe a PM to Keith from you will remind him to have a look at this.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hi Rob, it is the upload I cant do, the system does not let me.
    Will pm Keith again

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Cheers Capn, thanks for your help!

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

And if you're on a short damage-track, low Burthen ship like a Swan, you're pretty much screwed, might as well look for a bigger friendly ship to transfer the crew to and scuttle.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Landsman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Garry

This thread interests me, particularly the last comment. My assumption from the reading the rule book is that you only have one repair action a turn and therefore a ship with multiple leak damages will sink fast. I have just had a double-shotted first raking first-rate broadside inflict 4 leak damages on its opponent. So if I have understood the rules properly the unfortunate ship has 4 damage boxes filled on the first move an additional 3 on the second move (one leak repair and one pumped), which on top of the actual damage sunk it. Obviously with only a 6.7% chance of pulling a leak chit, this was an extreme result but it has tested my understanding of the rules. Presumably multiple fires work the same way. Fires and leaks in filling whole damage boxes seem more damaging than cannon fire. Have I understood this correctly?
    Thanks Garry
    Last edited by Garry Wills; 12-29-2021 at 03:47.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Achim

Hi Garry,
    in my understanding of the rules a ship with four leaks at a time is doomed to sink. You get even more damage than in your example:

Round 1: Hit by a full broadside, getting 4 leak damages.
    Round 2 beginning: Take 4 water damages immediately
    Round 2 actions: Plan one repair action and one "Pump water" action (one water damage is reduced, so total is 3)
    Round 3 beginning: Still 4 active leaks, so take 4 four water damage tokens again, so total is 7
    Round 3 actions: Plan a "pump water" action to reduce one water damage token, so total is 6 (the "repair" action layed out in round 2 is still active)
    Round 3 end: The first leak is repaired
    Round 4 beginning: Take 3 water damages, so total is 9
    Round 4 actions: Plan again repair and "pump water" actions (one water damage token is reduced, so total is 8)
    Round 5 beginning: Take 3 water damage tokens, so total is 11
    Round 5 actions: Plan a "pump water" action to reduce one water, so total is 10 (the "repair" action layed out in round 4 still active)
    Round 5 end: The second leak is repaired
    Round 6 beginning: Take two water damages, so total is 12
    Round 6 actions: Plan again repair and "pump water" actions (one water damage token is reduced, so total is 11)
    Round 7 beginning: Take two water damages, so total is 13
    Round 7 actions: Plan a "pump water" action to reduce one water, so total is 12 (the "repair" action layed out in round 6 is still active)
    Round 7 end: The third leak is repaired
    Round 8 beginning: Take one water damage, so total is 13
    Round 8 actions: Plan again repair and "pump water" actions (one water damage token is reduced, so total is 12)
    Round 9 beginning: Take one water damage, so total ist 13
    Round 9 actions: Plan a "pump water" action to reduce one water, so total is 12 (the "repair" action layed out in round 8 is still active)
    Round 9 end: The last leak is repaired
    Round 10-22: Play one "pump water" action to reduce the water damage tokens by 1

But if this theoretic workflow is executed on a real damage track it can be seen that even a 1st rate will sink in round 5. Even without taking into account that at least one place of the hull damage track should be already filled with the damage tokens that caused the leaks.

Name:  L1160626.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  213.4 KB
    Round 1: Hit by a full broadside, getting 4 leak damages.

Name:  L1160627.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  216.2 KB
    Round 2 beginning: Take 4 water damages immediately

Name:  L1160628.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  219.8 KB
    Round 2 actions: Plan one repair action and one "Pump water" action (one water damage is reduced, so total is 3)

Name:  L1160629.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  190.6 KB
    Round 3 beginning: Still 4 active leaks, so take 4 four water damage tokens again, so total is 7 (the "repair" action layed out in round 2 is still active)

Name:  L1160630.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  197.2 KB
    Round 3 actions: Plan a "pump water" action to reduce one water damage token, so total is 6 (the "repair" action layed out in round 2 is still active)
    Round 3 end: The first leak is repaired

Name:  L1160631.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  212.3 KB
    Round 4 beginning: Take 3 water damages, so total is 9

Name:  L1160632.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  202.5 KB
    Round 4 actions: Plan again repair and "pump water" actions (one water damage token is reduced, so total is 8)

Name:  L1160633.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  191.0 KB
    Round 5 beginning: Take 3 water damage tokens, so total is 11. The hull damage track is completely filled, the ship sinks.
    (the "repair" action layed out in round 3 is still active, but the next leak would be repaired at the end of the round, not at the beginning)

If you play with the optional rule "sinking ships" (rulebook page 39) the sinking can even occur already in round 2, because for every single water damage token beyond the first two you might draw a "sinking ship" marker instead.

Landsman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Garry

Thanks for this brilliant reply. Obviously my example is extreme but it shows how damaging leaks can be.

Garry