James L. Nelson
    ISBN:
    0-671-51924-7
    Category:
    Fiction
    Format:
    Multiple
    Summary:
    The first of five books of the author's Revolution At Sea Saga, it begins the story of Issac Biddlecomb, a Rhode Island merchant ship captain turned reluctant hero (at first anyway) during the early days of what became the American War of Independence. Book one starts on New Years Day 1775 with Biddlecomb smuggling molasses into Rhode Island's Narragansett Bay while being chased by HMS Rose, a British 6th Rate. He survives that encounter although his ship does not. The remainder of the book follows him through a number of seaborne adventures as he becomes deeper enmeshed in the Rebellion. Overall an enjoyable book.

Of interest to note is the author, James L. Nelson, spent many years on square-rigged ships, including serving as third officer aboard the full-sized replica of the HMS Rose which later starred as the HMS Surprise in the Master and Commander movie.

It was nice to find an AWI nautical adventure. Nelson did a lot of historical research and most of the events, ships, and personalities involved actually existed. I have read book two and three of the series and am currently working on book four. I would recommend the series.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I actually completed the series last back end, and totally concur with Anthony. it is a refreshing change to see things from the American perspective. It also encouraged me to continue with my expansion of my American squadron. It would also appear that drinks in the Wardroom tonight are on you.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 03-15-2021 at 13:53.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.