Thread: Ships boats

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Default Ships boats

Hi, I should like to get hold of a few small ships boats to suit SoG 1:000 scale, I dont want to do any modeling and so will go with rowed boats rather than sailed. I only want them to be place markers for shore going actions and they will need to represent boats from Frigates to 1st rates.

MX3 Set of 6 Pinnaces: 3 rowed, 3 sailed (brass) £2.50
    MX4 Set of 6 Cutters: 3 rowed, 3 sailed (brass) £2.50
    MX5 Set of 6 Launches: 3 rowed, 3 sailed (brass) £2.50
    MX6 Set of 6 Mixed Boats, sailed (brass) £3.00
    MX7 Set of 1 Shore Battery + 5 rowed boats £2.25
    MX8 Set of 1 Signal Station + 5 rowed boats £2.25
    MX9 Set of 1 Martello Tower (resin)+ 5 rowed boats £2.25
    MX11 Open Boats (pack of 8 mixed) £3.00

This is a list taken from Rod Langtons site, obviously 1:1200 scale, and I wonder if anyone can tell me which might be suitable for my requirements. Also does anyone else manufacture in the actual scale I'm looking for?

Cheers

I have the same issue with 1/700 scale boats. I used some Warlord Games boats and made a two part hard mold and use play-doh to make more

Name:  20201204_170826.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  9.4 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi John.
    I use the Langton ships boats with my Sails ships. They are not out of place. He does a mixed set of them in a variety of sizes. Also his buildings look fine when you realize that they work with the perspective of being a hundred yards back behind the ships sailing along the coast. For photographing the scenes they look just fine.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Since some of the Sails of Glory ships aren’t perfectly to scale I don’t find ships boats or buildings in 1:1200 to be really that out of scale. They’re not much smaller compared to the Spanish ships than the Spanish compared to the other ships.

GHQ sells three different ship's boats as well, but Langton has the crewed and oared boats. Crews are approximately 2 MM in size.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    I have the same issue with 1/700 scale boats. I used some Warlord Games boats and made a two part hard mold and use play-doh to make more

Name:  20201204_170826.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  9.4 KB
    Hi Vol years ago when I was really poor I made some Greek galleys, impressing a lead one into plasticine and casting plaster of paris into it. They were only about 1" long and the oar bank was quite fragile but as they were waterline models it worked fine.
    Are you saying that you pushed play-doh into your hard mould? Did you harden it in someway. I remember back in the 70's there was talk of hardening plasticine with bannana oil, but I never discovered how you got the oil out of the bannana!

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Hi John.
    I use the Langton ships boats with my Sails ships. They are not out of place. He does a mixed set of them in a variety of sizes. Also his buildings look fine when you realize that they work with the perspective of being a hundred yards back behind the ships sailing along the coast. For photographing the scenes they look just fine.

Rob.
    Thanks Rob, do you know if the mixed set in a variety of sizes you refer to is the MX11 set, the last on my list?
    Cheers

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Since some of the Sails of Glory ships aren’t perfectly to scale I don’t find ships boats or buildings in 1:1200 to be really that out of scale. They’re not much smaller compared to the Spanish ships than the Spanish compared to the other ships.
    Thanks Jonas, my problem is I'm a gamer not a ship model enthusiast so I'm assuming when Langton lists Pinnacers, Cutters, and Launches they are 3 different sized boat's.

So me using them in 1:1000 scale I could probably take the largest 1:1200 boat and it would be equivalent to a smaller type of boat in 1:1000. Unfortunatly in my ignorance I don't know which is the range of sizes, is a cutter bigger than a launch or a pinnacer and is that a typing mistake and it should be a pinnacle?

I tried researching these and the names appear to relate to sail plan rather than size which doesn't help me, I just wondered if anyone knew which might be the best fit.

You have answered another question about the Spanish ships, I have HMS Bahama and thought she didn't scale too well with other 74's.
    Cheers

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I have a set of MX7, the shore battery set.
    The five row boats consist of 2 x single rowboat on a 12mm square base , approx , with the crew and 3 pairs of rowers
    The other three boats are single row boats with two oar crews on a 10mm square base, all metal.
    The battery has three guns in an earthwork settting base approx 25mm by 15mm
    Last edited by Capn Duff; 03-04-2021 at 06:16.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Thanks Chris, I was wondering about the battery set. I've been collecting small cardboard rolls with the thoughts of making some shore batteries, this might be an easier way forward.
    Cheers

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Here you go John, this is the set

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Hi Vol years ago when I was really poor I made some Greek galleys, impressing a lead one into plasticine and casting plaster of paris into it. They were only about 1" long and the oar bank was quite fragile but as they were waterline models it worked fine.
    Are you saying that you pushed play-doh into your hard mould? Did you harden it in someway. I remember back in the 70's there was talk of hardening plasticine with bannana oil, but I never discovered how you got the oil out of the bannana!
    Right John, Play Doh hardens in air after a few hours and can be filed, sanded and painted. I just lay a bit over each impression on one side of the mold, then press the opposite mold side down, using tooth picks in the guide holes. Squeeze hard, release then trim a bit and do it again. Remove one side and let them dry hard. Pop them out with a needle or straight pin. I make the molds wit Sculpy. It's fast, just 8 minutes in the toaster oven and it is ready to go. I have used this method to make more cannon, furled sails, etc.
    Name:  20201204_170713.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  18.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Thanks Jonas, my problem is I'm a gamer not a ship model enthusiast so I'm assuming when Langton lists Pinnacers, Cutters, and Launches they are 3 different sized boat's.

So me using them in 1:1000 scale I could probably take the largest 1:1200 boat and it would be equivalent to a smaller type of boat in 1:1000. Unfortunatly in my ignorance I don't know which is the range of sizes, is a cutter bigger than a launch or a pinnacer and is that a typing mistake and it should be a pinnacle?

I tried researching these and the names appear to relate to sail plan rather than size which doesn't help me, I just wondered if anyone knew which might be the best fit.

You have answered another question about the Spanish ships, I have HMS Bahama and thought she didn't scale too well with other 74's.
    Cheers
    John the rowed boat packs also include larger gunboats
    Name:  2013-01-21 21.34.44.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  122.5 KB
    Name:  2013-01-21 21.35.52.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  174.7 KB
    Name:  2013-01-21 21.42.00.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  134.0 KB

Next size down Pinnaces
    Name:  2013-01-23 13.52.07.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  123.5 KB
    Name:  2013-01-23 13.52.29.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  97.7 KB

And smaller cutters
    Name:  2013-01-23 13.53.49.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  93.6 KB
    Name:  2013-01-23 13.54.30.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  115.0 KB
    Name:  2013-01-23 13.55.41.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  118.2 KB

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Chris/Vol thanks a lot, the pics are a big help. When I get ships boats I can retire my Greek Penteconters, they are almost old enough to draw their pension.
    Cheers