Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's on Your Workbench for March?

Default What's on Your Workbench for March?

This month I am working on Temeraire class French 74s and a few Spanish SOLs.

Name:  20210228_110717.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  198.5 KB
    Name:  20210228_110723.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  228.1 KB
    Name:  20210228_110731.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  198.3 KB

Le Timoleon
    Name:  20210228_110805.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  194.3 KB
    Name:  20210228_110816.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  171.4 KB

Neptuno
    Name:  20210228_110844.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  183.3 KB
    Name:  20210228_110854.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  200.1 KB

Le Fouguex
    Name:  20210301_082752.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  140.9 KB
    Name:  20210301_082744.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  147.0 KB

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

You manage some very neat paint work, I was a little surprised that there were no Chinese ships in the pictures but I imagine the Junk comes later!

I've looked at repainting one of the SoG ships and doubt I could replicare the quality of the paintwork on the standard factory ships, so I didn't do it.

I have a "Junk" shelf......doesn't everyone?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Shelf! Good grief how do you manage Vol. We have a junk room, and it is still not big enough.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

After a rapid passage of only eight days from the Chesapeake to Nottingham via the river Trent the USS President docks at Chez Bligh.

Thanks for the hard work in sailing her over Captain Dobbs.

Bligh.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

My pleasure, Admiral! I trust she arrived ship-shape and seaworthy in every way?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Spot on sir spot on. Ship shape and Brizol fashion.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    I have a "Junk" shelf......doesn't everyone?
    Like Admiral Bligh I have a junk room, I refer to it as my War Games Room, Mrs V refers to it as John's Play Room. There are a few projects similar to your Junk although not nearly as presentable.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just knoked these out for USS President Dobbs.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just got around to putting these ship base caeds into place and discovered a cunning idea of Dobbs which I shall copy on all my other ships.
    He may well have explained this before, but if so it has escaped me so here is a snapshot of the base of USS President with its non slip EVA foam added. Well done Dobbs.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Just got around to putting these ship base caeds into place and discovered a cunning idea of Dobbs which I shall copy on all my other ships.
    He may well have explained this before, but if so it has escaped me so here is a snapshot of the base of USS President with its non slip EVA foam added. Well done Dobbs.
    Rob.
    I'm glad you like it! It is 2 layers of 1/8" foam with adhesive backing that I got from a craft store. Do you have Walmarts in England? How far has the scourge spread?

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20210305_160111.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  201.6 KB

This just arrived from Brigade Miniatures. It will be my Fort McHenry. I don't really foresee square riggers dueling in inner city Baltimore, but I've kind of started viewing this hobby as model railroading where you can shoot cannons at your friends. It's fun to build 3D scenes, even if they may not have a practical combat application.

The buildings were extra. The ship is included for scale. Gre
    Last edited by Dobbs; 03-05-2021 at 18:12.

Wow very nice Dobbs! I had been looking at this Brigade fort for my 1/1200 ships when I got the first 1/700 ship pack. When I get back to the smaller scale, it will work very nicely for a French vauban.

The painting on the next French ship, Le Algesiras, is done.

Name:  20210305_170301.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  137.2 KB
    Name:  20210305_170309.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  133.1 KB

Duguay Trouin is next

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    I'm glad you like it! It is 2 layers of 1/8" foam with adhesive backing that I got from a craft store. Do you have Walmarts in England? How far has the scourge spread?
    Hi Dobbs.
    We do not have Walmart in England as such, but they own ASDA stores. I ordered some of the 3mm foam yesterday from Amazon so should be underway with it in a few days time. It is not sticky backed but I will either hot glue it or use double sided tape to hold it in.
    I will report back when I have trialled it.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    The painting on the next French ship, Le Algesiras, is done.

Duguay Trouin is next
    Nice paint job Vol. The detail shows up really well.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This just arrived from Brigade Miniatures. It will be my Fort McHenry. I don't really foresee square riggers dueling in inner city Baltimore, but I've kind of started viewing this hobby as model railroading where you can shoot cannons at your friends. It's fun to build 3D scenes, even if they may not have a practical combat application.
    I bought up a set of each type of Bastian and hornworks when they first came out and have used them in parts of the forts I did for Basque Roads and the Moroccan/ Algerian port of Gizzanoffa, Dobbs.
    They are an excellent ancillary for constructing these works and save hours of scratch building.

Rob.

Nice paint job Vol. The detail shows up really well.
    Rob.
    Thanks Rob. These FDM prints are much cruder detailed than the resin prints, but much less fragile as well. I have yet to break anything on one of them, whereas I have broken bits off a resin print just by picking it up!

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Here my latest, naval work

closest Spanish Mahonesa frigate the Vengenza, middle 2 64's French Le Jason and Alexandre, in middle of theses a razee 64 HMS Anson and at top two 64's Le Caton and then as HMS Caton

Finally a bit different. HMS Hood

Starting on my ships from Henry soon, but need masts, also been finishing off my Jacobite troops if anyone would like to see in 15mm
    Last edited by Capn Duff; 03-07-2021 at 08:37.

Nice looking 64s Chris and the razee is excellent! These represent a lot of work. And the Hood, nice! Is it a 3D? What scale? I have one I haven't painted yet and seeing yours makes me want to. And I would indeed like to see your Jacobites.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hi Vol, thanks for the rep, the razee is a 3d print, all others original Ares, just finish rigging Vengenza this afternoon.
    Hood is from Warlord games Victory at sea range, half done, needs the finishing touches, I will see about posting a pic of my higlanders and British Jacobites soon for your perusal.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Love to see your Jacobites Chris. Hope you have included the Manchester Regiment!
    Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

The rigging makes these really stand out.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

as mentioned, here is a selection of my Jacobite rebellion forces.
    Based up for Volley and Bayonet rules, each base represents a half battalion or a max of approx 400 men.

Scots Highlander and Lowlander, this about a third of my total units, Bonnie Prince to the right rear with flags

Jacobite commanders

Cav and gun with a small coehorn motar

Highlanders and Lowlander regts

Goverment with HRH Duke of Cumberland, I have all 15 infanty regts for Culloden and the three Cavalry as well, plus the 4 Regular regts for Prestonpans and attached Dragoons plus a few regts of militia

The Boss

The three regulars for Prestonpans

A full regular regiment of two bases, this is my Scots Fusileers

Militia

For Rob, yes I have the Manchester Regt but they not in the workbench as yet

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A superb body of men Chris, and the Hanoverian's aint bad either.
    With re-enacting the period I always intended doing a Jacobite army, but somehow just never got around to it, considering that it would have constituted the smallest army I would have ever had to paint.
    So well done that man. Run Jonny Cope!

Year before last skirmish at Swarkstone Bridge. the last event we attended BC.

Rob.

Wow that is one beautiful army Chris! And quite large. I would love to see them on a table set up for battle.

So which soldier is you in these reenactment photos Rob?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You can't see me there Vol. I was taking the photo from outside the pub. i will look out a picture with me on it for you.
    Rob.

You can't see me there Vol. I was taking the photo from outside the pub. i will look out a picture with me on it for you.
    Rob.
    So now I want to know how much time you get to spend INSIDE the pub at these Reenactments! Haha

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That set of photos was taken by me from the Pub door. When we do the show each year we get hot mincepies and a free coffee from the pub. After the show we have a few drinks and lunch in the bar. Then pop off to change into our posh Kit ready for the Annual Evening Meal and sing song before retiring to either our rooms in the pub for the night or the Motel down the road if we can't get a booking at the pub. As it is in December very few brave camping out at that time of year.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As promised Vol, here are a few of myself with the Laird of John Roy Stuart's Regiment and the first also with Chris Rogers who is also a member of the Anchorage. We two are dressed in our Manchester's Regimentals.

The one below that is me dying in the long grass. More of which anon.

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 03-10-2021 at 00:54.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This next lot are at one of the Swarkstone Dinners, and show our Regimental singers and instrumentalists.
    Last edited by Bligh; 03-10-2021 at 01:00.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20210309_182604.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  144.0 KB

Not quite done, but looking a lot more like her sister brigs that were made with the drivers "borrowed" from the Hebe frigates. It's much less expensive to build a brig this way!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well ahead of me now Dobbs, and looking right smart as we say in Nottingham.
    I need to get my finger out today.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Not quite done, but looking a lot more like her sister brigs that were made with the drivers "borrowed" from the Hebe frigates. It's much less expensive to build a brig this way!
    I found the same Dobbs. When I was doing sinking ship wrecks I had plenty of drivers to spare but now they have all dried up.
    Rob.

As promised Vol, here are a few of myself with the Laird of John Roy Stuart's Regiment and the first also with Chris Rogers who is also a member of the Anchorage. We two are dressed in our Manchester's Regimentals.

The one below that is me dying in the long grass. More of which anon.

Rob.
    This looks to be loads of fun. You are so fortunate to live where you do with such rich history.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have a strange hankering after the Civil War in the States, and AWI, even though we have done so much over here. A lot of our Regiment also do Napoleonics mostly in Europe and Spain, and a few even do 30 years war in Germany about every other year.
    We did two or three French and Indian Wars re-enactments at Bath American Museum some years ago, but that is all the contact with your history we have had.

Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

The only thing that's been on the 'workbench' this month is going through old photos and saving them digitally. I've also been enhancing and colorizing some of the really old family pictures. Rob, your living history photos are very enjoyable and that takes me back to when I was involved in Buckskinning/Rendezvous living history as well as a fun Scottish Dance group. The attached photo was my first ever camp out at Bloody Lake in southern Wisconsin. Site of one of the many Blackhawk War confrontations.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Having always lived in the Western part of the continent, I have never been close to Civil War Reenactment groups. I was a SCA player for 6 years, but I don't really consider that the same thing. One of my retirement bucket list items is to attend an ACW reenactment of one of the large battles in the east. But I am afraid, with the current toxic political cancel culture in the US right now, they will all be shut down before I can.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I realize that this is not really chippy shop stuff, but anything that helps keep our spirits up at this time is great. I will not move this thread to the Wardroom unless anyone is concerned.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here are a couple more for you. Manchester's pre battle briefing.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And you can put your own caption to this one.
    Mine is " You would of thought he could have given at least one of us a croggy to Prestonpans."

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And now a serious bit.
    My second American Brig now just waiting to be flagged tomorrow.

Great work & projects here - spread some reputation.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Did you notice the red Dobbs?

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just doing a few cards for the flipsides of my US ships.
    This one is for the back of Argus.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Ship base card.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And Ship log.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Did you notice the red Dobbs?

Rob.
    Ah yes, now I see it! It looks very sharp, and I love the 'B' side name. I'm going to have to borrow that one.