Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Affair in Morocco (Part Three) Sɪˈrɒkoʊ! The sequel!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default An Affair in Morocco (Part Three) Sɪˈrɒkoʊ! The sequel!

Characters introduced into the story thus far.
    Algerine and Moroccan Persona.

The Dey of Gizzanoffa: Kamel Mudanyaei.
    His Vizier: Amin Giffar.
    The Dey’s: Admiral Kulin Bey.
    The late Captain of the Al Mukabir: Camel Mujadine
    The new Captain of the Al Mukabir: Rashid Suleiman

American persona.

The Squadron commander: Commodore Silas Goldberg.
    The captain of USS Constitution: David Frazer.
    The captain of USS Essex: Andrew Millington.
    First Officer: Paul Swift.
    Sailing Master: Hezekiah Bramley.
    Essex’s Captain of Marines: Davy Weiss.
    Essex’s Master Gunner: Hamish Fyffe.
    Essex’s Master Carpenter: Amos Grady

The captain of USS Syren: Lieutenant Gregory Hardman.
    Lieutenant Guy Falconer.
    Sailing Master: Simeon Prentice.

New Persona introduced for Sɪˈrɒkoʊ (Part three The sequel.)

The American Navy.
    The Captain of USS John Adams: Cyrus Gregory
    John Adam’ First Officer: James Stone.
    John Adams’ Gun Captain: Will Bridewell.

The AAR.

Some 40 Nautical miles from where the Essex had found action the USS John Adams under Captain Cyrus Gregory had fallen in with the Syren under Lieutenant Greg Hardman just prior to the fog descending. They had endeavoured to keep company during the night but just prior to what would have been dawn Syren had a backstay fail, and whilst sail had been taken in during the replacement she had lost contact with the John Adams. Her sailing Master Simeon Prentice had only just cleared the repair as satisfactory, when the crew heard gunfire from off the starboard quarter. Putting their helm hard over, they made all speed towards the sound.
    With the wind light and blowing into the North West the sound was also somewhat muted by the fog.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The gunfire was coming from two unknown enemy ships, which had emerged out of the fog without warning and opened fire upon the Adams, before the American ship could react.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

By the time that Greg Hardman arrived on the scene the ghostly ships had vanished into the fog again, allowing Lieutenant James Stone only one return of fire, which had been split between the two enemy ships as they faded from sight.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The Adams had taken several casualties amongst her crew as the deck was fully manned at the time. She also had a damaged wheel and her helmsman was amongst the fallen.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Unbeknown to the crew of the Adams they had seriously damaged one of the enemy and set the other on fire, effectively taking them out of the equation.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The two American ships now pressed on with the Adams undergoing repairs, until further firing could be heard.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This time they could also make out the gun flashes from the protagonists as the fog began to dissipate.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The lookout in the tops using his brings-‘em-near could just make out three ships engaged with one another.
    Last edited by Bligh; 02-27-2021 at 04:41.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Soon Captain Gregory using his Dolland Night Glass could make out two schooners engaging a much larger ship, possibly a fifty or sixty gunner which seemed to be almost becalmed.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A few minutes later the wind veered easterly four points bringing it to the North.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This allowed one of the attackers to manoeuvre into a raking position on what looked to be a Spanish 50 gun ship, whilst the other attacker attempted to board her from the opposite side.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The fog which was now burning off quite rapidly as the morning progressed, gave both American captains a grandstand view of the capture of the Spaniard.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A raking of Grape had finally done for the crew of what was the San Jerome.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thus the boarders had made short work of any remaining crew.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The Algerine pirates, which it seemed they were, lost no time in getting underway even as Captain Gregory tried a ranging shot from his bow chaser.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The reply from the Hissan Albahr was a devastating raking shot on USS Syren which besides taking her fore topmast damaged her steering gear having traversed the entire length of her main deck.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Retribution came swiftly from the USS John Adams. At extreme range she holed Albahr below the waterline and took out several of her crew.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The action now became general, and USS Adams in her turn was mauled by being raked from the Alsaqr.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Meanwhile, during all this action the now Algerine crewed San Jerome was making good her escape.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Captain Gregory had now used the wind to his advantage, and catching the Alsaqr in stays took his revenge with a double shotted broadside, setting the Algerine on fire.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This onslaught probably disturbed the Alsaqr’s gunnery as its own forrard guns delivered only minimal damage to Syren.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Syren’s stern battery was better sighted and Alsaqr took serious damage to her bows below the waterline, and the sea poured in every time she met an oncoming wave.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

To add insult to injury Syren’s turn to port also brought her forrard battery to bear on the stern of the Albahr and more of her crew fell to the well served guns.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The ultimate result was that her flag was lowered in token of surrender, and Greg Hardman dispatched two boats of sailors and marines to take her as a prize.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

No sooner did they approach, than a fusillade of shots rang out from the deck of the perfidious pirate ship. Both the marines in the boats and the swivels in Syren’s fighting tops were quick to respond, and the Algerines fared very badly in the exchange.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The ship soon fell to the boarders, and the usual formality of releasing the slaves was then completed.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

With no quarter asked for, none was given, and the enemy ship was put to the torch.
    Last edited by Bligh; 02-27-2021 at 08:30.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Having recovered her ships boats Syren left the wreck to its fate and set out to engage with the Alsaqr.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Meantime, Captain Gregory had abandoned his pursuit of the Alsaqr and set off to recapture the San Jerome, putting a shot across her bows in order to bring her to heel.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Although the Spanish ship came up into the wind, her response was to fire what weak broadside she had remaining at the John Adams.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Adam’s gun captain Will Bridewell gave orders to answer in kind, and the Adam’s broadside caused further waterline damage to the Spanish 50

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

With no more ado her prize crew turned tail and ran with the Adams in pursuit. Unfortunately with her damage sustained earlier, the Adams just could not out sail the Spaniard and she slipped away, adding a very important addition to Kulin Bey’s squadron, and a lifeline for the continuance of Kamel Mudanyaei’s regime.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Having come about right smartly Syren’s sailing master Simeon Prentice had caught Alsaqr in a compromising situation. Suddenly from being the predator she had become the hunted and the first firing of Syren’s Port battery with grape over ball wreaked havoc amongst the Algerine crew.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Unfortunately whilst coming about in an attempt to finish the job Syren came under fire herself and was holed twixt wind and water.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Undeterred, Captain Hardman instructed Simeon Prentice to continue the turn to starboard, and as soon as the Alsaqr came within view of her forrard guns Lieutenant Falconer completed the action by setting fire to his second ship of the day, albeit by gunnery on this second occasion.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Battered but undeterred Syren rounded to, and her crew watched until the Alsaqr burnt down to the waterline.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Soon there was nothing left saving floating wreckage on the surface of the sea.
    Captain Hardman and his crew had certainly outdone the crew of the Adams in this action, and beaten two superior foes against all the odds. Many a free round would be on tap whenever this tale was retold in the Inns of the American seaboard from Georgia to Maine.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The Butcher's Bill.

United States ships.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Algerine Pirates.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

A famous victory, the American ships are clearing the seas of the North African Corsairs remarkably efficiently. It's a shame the San Jerome escaped and I imagine the US crew members are a little chagrined not to have prize money in their pockets, but duty before fortune is probably their watchword.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yes John. with all the sails damage and steering problems they had, there was no way the Adams could catch the Spanish 50. I took the ships all the way to the edge of the world, well table, but the pics were omitted because there was no action in them. After that last shot Adams was not even close enough to get his chasers in range.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 02-28-2021 at 04:25.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My thanks also go to Paul for the Rep for this mission. What I thought would be a walkover for the John Adams proved anything but, all because the fog in the early part of the game did everything but clear to order. Still that's fog for you. Can't be relied on in any way, and has no sense of decorum whatsoever.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Chagrined is not the word they used at all John, and my not understanding American expletives was probably a good thing in this case. The main worry for Commadore Goldberg, however, is that their is now a ship in the Dey's hands of a size that can challenge even the Constitution, although rumour has it that a powerful reinforcement for the US Squadron is even now ploughing its way across the Atlantic to join his Squadron.

Bligh.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    My thanks also go to Paul for the Rep for this mission. What I thought would be a walkover for the John Adams proved anything but, all because the fog in the early part of the game did everything but clear to order. Still that's fog for you. Can't be relied on in any way, and has no sense of decorum whatsoever.
    Rob.
    The post was still locked so I couldn't post a reply...

Looks like the boys are doing Congress and the President proud. Will you re-flag your Spanish SoL? And, will the Dey's crew be 'inexperienced' sailing the San Jerome?

Excellent pics and story. and

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The reflagging has already taken place Paul, plus new cards etc. Yes the Dey's crew will be inexperienced save for the gunners who have experience of heavy guns on the fort walls as you will see for the homecoming. The crew will, however be much larger than would be expected on a ship of her size because of the proclivity for providing several prize crews to man captured merchantmen.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    The reflagging has already taken place Paul, plus new cards etc. Yes the Dey's crew will be inexperienced save for the gunners who have experience of heavy guns on the fort walls as you will see for the homecoming. The crew will, however be much larger than would be expected on a ship of her size because of the proclivity for providing several prize crews to man captured merchantmen.
    Rob.
    Looking forward to the AAR. Arrrrrr...in one's best Dorset accent.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The Dey has decided to add a leavening of freed European slaves with nautical experience to his crew, but not so many that they could take over the ship. As Captain he has appointed an old sea dog, one Salim McPhearson of Scots and Algerian mixed parentage who is an excellent mariner with a lot of experiance in controlling unruly crews. As the Dey's Vizier Amin Giffar pointed out "Every Dey should have his dog".

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As the Sun sets in the West San Jerome, now the Jirum enters the port of Gizzanoffa to a rapturous welcome and salutation from all the city's artillery.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

We look forward to seeing how the dog Salim McPhearson has his dey. By the throat might be advisable.

Very cool. Looking forward to the dog of very Dey in action.