Thread: Scenario? Hornblower: Lydia vs Natividad?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Default Scenario? Hornblower: Lydia vs Natividad?

This question was recently posted on Boardgame Geek. I'd be interested to hear what our resident experts might offer up to the original poster? Quote from post included below:

"Can someone with more knowledge than I concoct a game portrayal of the famous battle from 'Beat to Quarters'/'The Happy Return' (and the film adaptation with Gregory Peck) between Hornblower's frigate (36-gun HMS Lydia with 274 crew, built 1796, per https://hornblower.fandom.com/wiki/HMS_Lydia ) and the ill-fated Natividad (a 50-gun two-decked Spanish SOL, per https://hornblower.fandom.com/wiki/Natividad ) ?

Which ship specs are closest? How would you portray the very different command abilities for the two captains and crews?"
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sorry could not help Jim. The site would not let me in without enabling cookies and I don't do that.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Sorry could not help Jim. The site would not let me in without enabling cookies and I don't do that.

Rob.
    This is what I got from the site:

HMS Lydia was Horatio Hornblower's first frigate command.

History
    The Lydia was a middle-sized frigate built at Woolwich in 1796 to the design of Sir William Rule at a cost of £19,070. Her commission under Hornblower began on March 12th, 1807. She sailed first to Alexandria, Egypt, but then in 1808 was given secret orders for a very ambitious mission to Central America. There, the 36-gun Lydia fought and sank the much larger Spanish ship of 50 guns, the Natividad.

Lydia supported a crew of 274 and was armed with twenty-six 18lb guns, eight 9lb guns, and two 12lb guns. She was 143 feet long and berthed 951 tons.

History
    "Captain Elliot and Captain Bolton have been plying me incessantly with questions about the battle between the Lydia and the Natividad."
    ―Barbara Wellesley[src]
    Captain Horatio Hornblower captured the Natividad from the Spanish and installed Lieutenant Gerard as prize master. However, soon after it's capture, El Supremo demanded that he be given the Natividad. To placate the madman, Hornblower agreed. El Supremo sent his Vice-Admiral, Crespo, to take command of the Natividad and hang the executive officers. Hornblower hid the ship's officers, and informed Crespo that he had dropped them overboard after a court-martial.

When Hornblower was informed that Napoleon had conquered Spain, and a junta government had been formed in opposition that had signed a treaty with England, he was forced to engage the Natividad again. The two ship's duel was interrupted by a storm. After a third encounter with the Natividad, Hornblower finally managed to sink her.
    –English Proverb

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Give Horatio Hornblower and the Lydia's crew lots of Skill Cards and some penalties on the Natividad's crew for inexperience.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Give Horatio Hornblower and the Lydia's crew lots of Skill Cards and some penalties on the Natividad's crew for inexperience.
    Probably a good approach, but I have no clue if the original poster has any 'skill cards' to use?
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The Amazon Class makes the most sense for stats now I have seen the Lydia's.

Designed by Sir William Rule the stats were:-

Name: HMS Amazon
    Ordered: 24 May 1794
    Builder: Wells & Co., Rotherhithe
    Laid down: June 1794
    Launched: 4 July 1795
    Completed: 25 September 1795 at Deptford Dockyard
    Commissioned: July 1795
    Fate: Wrecked, 14 January 1797
    General characteristics
    Type: Fifth rate Frigate
    Tons burthen: 933 67/94 bm
    Length:
    • 143 ft 2.5 in (gundeck)
    • 119 ft 5.5 in
    Beam: 38 ft 4 in
    Depth of hold: 13 ft 6 in
    Propulsion: Sails
    Complement: 264
    Armament: 36 guns
    GD: 26 x18 pdrs
    QD: 8 x 9 pdrs + 6 x 32 pde Carronades
    Fc: 2 x 12pdrs + 2 x 32pdr Carronades.
    The only real difference is that the fictional Lydia was credited as having 10 more crewmen than the historical Amazon Class.

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 02-12-2021 at 13:00.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Rob, I think your Amazon is a more modern one than the Ares one...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That may well be the case Dobbs. Do you think that is the 5th rate 12 pounder? Probably the Sir John Williams one then. I have amended my post accordingly.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 02-12-2021 at 12:58.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

1773 Amazon is a 12-pdr frigate, you'd be better served to use SGN105 as base stats and model. A Portland is a little too strong hull and powerful guns for Natividad, but probably the best fit we have--or go with the What-If version of Bonhomme Richard.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks DB.
    I'm sure that will help Jim to answer the question a lot better than I could.

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Probably a good approach, but I have no clue if the original poster has any 'skill cards' to use?
    Ares Games (unlike some companies) does not insist on players owning the 'officially published' skill cards in order to use the skills, Jim. You can copy the 'skills text' from the rulebook onto your own cards or use a special counter to represent a skill. Also, I m fairly certain that there are 'skills cards' you can print off in the Files section.

Lokk at this thread. https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....ghlight=skills
    Last edited by Naharaht; 02-13-2021 at 05:15.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks gents for all the feedback. I've shared all comments with the original poster on Boardgame Geek. This should help in his scenario build to be sure.
    –English Proverb