Thread: Any French Indian wars or war of 1812 battles in North American using SOG ships?

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Myles

Question Any French Indian wars or war of 1812 battles in North American using SOG ships?

Wondering if any of the SOG ships fought or could stand in for any North American theatre French Indian war or war of 1812 naval battles?

Any thoughts , ideas, posts, or links you know of?

Thanks,
    Myles

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

What about the American Revolution?

Much like modern ships, wooden ships fell into distinctive classes. I think that there was a technology change between ie French and Indian War and the Revolution, so only a few of the ships Aries offer could be used. In the Revolution, the 32 gun frigate was a standard, as were 74's. By the end of the war, at least the French were experimenting with the 38 gun frigates. The big thing that bugs me is that copper plating didn't really become vogue until the end of the war, and that would have been a noticeable change in sailing speeds.

I'd say that almost all of the Ares ship styles were used to some degree through 1815.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Figuring that authors of historical fiction have commissioned numerous vessels that never existed, I haven't felt any limitations in that arena.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I must admit that I have not ventured back as far as the Revolution Dobbs, but there is no reason to not play this era with the available ships as you so rightly suggest. Aftre all John Paul Jones' ship should get an outing now and then.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I have a fun scenario in the works with a fictional Revolutionary ship.

In the real world, the colonists had two frigates building in Philadelphia when the British rolled into town. The unfinished frigates were dragged up the Delaware River to save them, but eventually were burned.

In my version, the Concerned Merchants of Philadelphia were paying to have a 32 gun frigate built alongside the government frigates, and being a private enterprise was barely far enough along to sail. Unfortunately, her broadside consists of 6 pdrs diverted from the colonial army since 12 pdrs aren't available.

The mission is to breakout of the Delaware and sail for Charlestown where the 12 pdrs will be waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    I have a fun scenario in the works with a fictional Revolutionary ship.

In the real world, the colonists had two frigates building in Philadelphia when the British rolled into town. The unfinished frigates were dragged up the Delaware River to save them, but eventually were burned.

In my version, the Concerned Merchants of Philadelphia were paying to have a 32 gun frigate built alongside the government frigates, and being a private enterprise was barely far enough along to sail. Unfortunately, her broadside consists of 6 pdrs diverted from the colonial army since 12 pdrs aren't available.

The mission is to breakout of the Delaware and sail for Charlestown where the 12 pdrs will be waiting...
    That sounds like an interesting scenario, Dobbs.