Thread: Playing Online

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mike

Default Playing Online

Hello Everyone

I am starting to host some Sails games online in the same way as I have been hosting Wings and Tripods games for the last 6 months. Our first game will be on Thursday Feb 4th at 7 pm est. Not going to lie it will be a rough one. I have only played 2 times and the rest of us are just as wet behind the ears. I am inviting anyone to join us to lend a hand as we navigate these first few games. The hope is that we add Sails to our rotation of games we play. I will post the Youtube link here in this thread on Thursday if anyone wants to watch.

Thanks

Mike

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Greetings, fellow Eastern Shore, Marylander!

I'll try and follow your link. It sounds like fun!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I'll definitely try to swing by. Good luck with the game in any case!
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Welcome Mike.
    I trust you got my welcome message O.K.
    I will be interested to see you in action no matter what. After all we know what it is like starting out, and Sails is just a bit mor complecated than Wings if you don't count no altitude problems, but have sailing speed and wind changes instead.
    Sail with a fair wind my friend.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mike

Hello again

Here is a link to my YouTube Channel. There you will find all of my Wings and Tripod games that I have hosted, I will be using the same overhead system for Sails, I am adding a camera for the wind marker that will be up all of the time. I will be posting a couple of stills of the practice I am working on at the moment and should be loaded in an hour or so. We are keeping it to just 6 players for our first game and to a stripped down set of rules. (so that we can get the hang of it) I am really looking forward to playing Sails and to see how it works on this platform. I look forward toward your feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqJ...aWGMJVxqJXQVzA

Thanks

Mike

Sounds like a project.

I'm curious.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mike

Test Shot of what you should see on Youtube. YouTube is for the game board and I use Zoom for the players and port over the audio for the live broadcast. Name:  SoG Test Shot.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  139.8 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It certainly looked very good on youtube Mike. Just like being there, excepting that you could not see your players. The banter was much like our games at Chez Bligh. I hope you can bring it off for Sails.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    It certainly looked very good on YouTube Mike. Just like being there, excepting that you could not see your players. The banter was much like our games at Chez Bligh. I hope you can bring it off for Sails.
    Rob.

Not everyone wants to be on camera. So to protect everyone's privacy, I only link the audio. In the Zoom Meeting that goes with this we see everyone. It works for everyone involved.

Thanks for the Praise We have worked very hard over the last 6/7 months to create the feel of in person gaming.

Mike

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well you certainly achieved that feeling for me Mike.
    Rob.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mike

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mike

I would like to thank everyone who joined the game and played. We learned a lot about playing sails and learned a few things that will help with hosting the Wings games also.

With the experience that I got from this game after a few more tries I would like to host a game from our friends on the other side of the pond. Just need some more time to perfect the hosting.

Thanks again

Mike

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Some very interesting moves Mike, but you will all get better with practice.
    I applaud your efforts and the fact that you have got your game off the stocks.
    Looking forward to seeing your next encounter.
    Well done, and for this breakthrough i will be firing my Rep gun in your direction again.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Nice, I saw this on YouTube tonight. Good job.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mike

Good day everyone!

We will be going to sea again tonight at 7 pm est. I will post a link to the YouTube channel. Again we will be keeping it simple with the rules as we are still testing those sea legs.

It's the French vs the British.

Team France
    Genereux
    Aquilon
    Carmagnole
    Roland

VS

Team England
    HMS Defence
    HMS Bahama
    HMS Prothee
    HMS Leander

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mike

Here is the link for tonights game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlbbvYpAsLs

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just had a look at your game Mike. You seemed to have a lot of fun, and I notice you are using your own rules for firing by assessing the broadside in three parts, which is interesting, as we have discussed this as an option but never managed to come up with a rule to cover the discrepancy between a full broadside and the fact that the forrard and stern batteries often add up to more than the full broadside itself. Also if you have fired say the forrard bsection of guns do you still count the broadside or part of it as still loaded for the next move? If so how do you work out the percentage of fire power still left?

Rob.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mike

Yes we did have a lot of fun playing!! Its less of our own rules and more of us playing the rules wrong. (most Likely) I think what I was doing was if the center gun was in line then it was a broadside. Otherwise it was just the gun that could fire. (I will have to get with Peter as to how he assigned the number of chits for each firing) If any or all of your guns on one side you have to reload the whole side. Its too much to try to keep track of each gun. This was more by accident not design. It was only the 2nd time we as a group played and most of us have less than 5 games under our belts.

I am going to go back and re-watch the game to see what was going on. I know we reallized half way through that we were doing somethings wrong and as per our house rules we continue to play wrong until the end of the game and fix the mistakes for the next game. (it saves us game time).

I am glad you enjoyed watching the game and maybe we stumbled into a rule modification. lol

Mike

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Having fun is the main thing Mike. If the rules suit you and all players agree, that's the way to go.
    We have added all sorts off little amendments, like ships on a spring, bow and stern chasers, warping off sandbars, landing parties etc. It all adds spice to the game.
    Rob.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mike

Hello Everyone

I am working on a 4-6 game mini campaign for our YouTube game group in the new year. We are not that confident with the rules and want to get it right. I am looking for a person that is willing to Referee/Play in this campaign to help us with the rules.

Thanks

Mike

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mike

Hello everyone! For the next two weeks our gaming group will be playing Sails. We are slowly adding more of the rules as we get comfortable with them. We broadcast live on twitch and on YouTube. If you can't make the live game, the video is available on YouTube. These are long play and unedited. I hope you all enjoy!

Game time November 30, 2023 at 7 pm est

Table Top Flights Presents
    A Live Game of Sails of Glory

Sails of Glory
    Campaign Mission 1
    Blockade Breakout!

The British Navy is using 3 Ships of the Line to create a blockade of a French port city. The French have launched three of
    their own Ships of the Line to break the blockade.

Good Morning

Today’s mission:
    The French have to force the British from the board.

Team France
    The Orient
    The Montagne
    The Imperial

Team Britian
    HMS Britannia
    HMS Royal George
    HMS Queen Charlotte

Twitch: www.twitch.tv/tabletopflights

YouTube: www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2nibFuGr78

Next Mission: Sails of Glory - Mission 2 - ?? December 7, 2023

If you have not already subscribed to the channel, please do so that you will be alerted for new videos.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mike

It was a fun game to night! We will be back next Thursday to give it a go again this time with a few more rules. If you missed the live play, you can still watch the video on my YouTube channel!

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mike

We are back for another game of Sails. This week we are adding some more of the advanced rules to
    our game. I hope you will join us as we continue to learn the ins and outs of the game.

Game time December 7, 2023 at 7 pm est

Sails of Glory Campaign
    Mission 2
    Blockade Breakout!

Now that the French has broken out of the harbor and on the run, the British has been tasked with
    tracking them down and stopping them.

Today’s mission:
    The British are tasked with chasing down the 3 French ships that broke the Blockade.

Team France
    The Orient
    The Montagne
    The Imperial

Team England
    HMS Britannia
    HMS Royal George
    HMS Ville de Paris

Next Mission: Sails of Glory - Mission 3 December 14, 2023

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP1Tq4IZG-M

If you have not already subscribed to the channel, please do so that you will be alerted for new videos.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mike

Hello Everyone! This week we are playing Mission 3 of our mini campaign (practice with the Advanced Rules). The
    French have taken the first Two missions, but the English have a little surprise in store for the French this week. If
    you have the time stop by the Live Twitch stream and take a look. Or you can catch the replay anytime on our
    YouTube Channel.

Game time December 14, 2023 at 7 pm est

Sails of Glory Campaign
    Mission 3
    Harbor Raiders

The French Fleet is hot off of several victories and are on their way for some payback with a raid on a nearby British
    controlled harbor. Rumor has it that the British Flagship is currently in that harbor.

Today’s mission:
    The French are tasked with sinking or capturing the British Flagship HMS Victory.

Team France
    The Orient
    The Montagne
    The Imperial

Team England
    HMS Hibernia
    HMS Victory
    HMS Ville de Paris

YouTube: www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEnfkeRMFUA

Next Mission: TableTop Flights Christmas Special 2023 - December 21, 2023

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looking forward to this one Mike.
    Rob.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mike

Hello Everyone! This week we are playing Mission 4 of our mini campaign (practice with the Advanced Rules). The
    French Captains have had their way in the first three missions, but this week we will see how all of the Captains
    do with a bunch of Frigates.
    If you have the time stop by the Live Twitch stream and take a look. Or you can catch the replay anytime on our
    YouTube Channel.

Game time January 18, 2023 at 7 pm est

Sails of Glory Campaign
    Mission 4
    Frigates Away!

With each side armed with Frigate class Ships we are going the test their abilities with these ships.

Today’s mission:
    For each Captain to Sail their Frigate without getting sunk (that would be a first)

Team France
    The Hermione
    The Dryade
    The Proserpine

Team England
    HMS Amelia
    HMS Cleopatra
    HMS Sybille

YouTube: www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RC0scGDC70

Next Mission: Tripods and Triplanes - Mission 7 7 pm est January 25, 2024

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good luck Mike.
    Rob.