Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's on your workbench for February?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

On closer inspection of the top picture it looks as if Adams could also have a ships boat at the stern although the lower picture does not depict one?

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

According to Harland's "Seamanship in the Age of Sail ", stern davits were coming into fashion after 1800. It was probably a personal taste sort of thing and depended a lot on the level of the forward thinking nature of the captain.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    On closer inspection of the top picture it looks as if Adams could also have a ships boat at the stern although the lower picture does not depict one?

Rob.
    Rob the first one does show a boat at the stern. The second one is depeicting the stern detail so no boat, but the davits are there.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Probably go the whole hog on this one then.

This is the shot I have of the Essex.
    Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Rob.
    Wow, I think that's a poleacre in the background! How cool!

Rob.
    Yes this painting shows Essex only had the stern boat and davits. Nightmoss set me straight on that back in the What's on Your Workbench December thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Wow, I think that's a poleacre in the background! How cool!
    I wonder which ship it was, how many guns? Maybe the Tripoly? Not Meshuda which was a schooner. Essex was only in the first Barbary war and really didn't do much but provide some support for the battle of Derne. The Tripoly is the only other named ship I know about and was a polacca.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It's a pity they don't have a book on the Barbary ships like Silverstones The Sailing Navy.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here are a couple of shots of the completed John Adams.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Rob.

Very nice Rob. The boats look great! Where did they come from?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

They come in a pack of assorted boats from Langtons Vol. I keep a stock in mainly for including on my terrain pieces. Some also have sails with them.

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 02-16-2021 at 00:47.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Rob.
    That's a really nice addition, Rob! It takes a stock model and makes it look completely different and even cautious modelers could follow in your footsteps. I think my USS Brandywine is going to get some of those!

Progress so far on the Chinese "Junk"! Sorry John, you named it and it's going to stick

Name:  20210215_195431.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  161.7 KB
    Name:  20210215_195347.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  115.0 KB
    Name:  20210215_195421.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  114.5 KB

My first sail took 4 hours! Six more to go

Name:  20210215_195455.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  123.3 KB
    Name:  20210215_195513.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  115.9 KB

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

That is very neat stitching, is it some form of blanket stitch, either my eyes are worse than I thought or hopefully it's just not clear in the picture.
    Either way I'm impressed. I did some stitching recently and didn't realise until then, how it was possible to be so absolutely hopless at a seemingly simple task.

The junk is coming on nicely but shouldn't the masts rake forward and have a different rig, have you got the plans the wrong way round?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That really is a superb bit of modelling Vol. It is going to put all our other efforts in the shade when completed.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    That's a really nice addition, Rob! It takes a stock model and makes it look completely different and even cautious modelers could follow in your footsteps. I think my USS Brandywine is going to get some of those!
    Thanks for your comments and the Rep Dobbs. I was also unsure until idid it, but now Essex is going to also get the works with the addition of a boat at the stern and one on the gratings.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

There you go. All done and dusted with enough difference to differentiate it from the John Adams..

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    That is very neat stitching, is it some form of blanket stitch, either my eyes are worse than I thought or hopefully it's just not clear in the picture.
    Either way I'm impressed. I did some stitching recently and didn't realise until then, how it was possible to be so absolutely hopless at a seemingly simple task.

The junk is coming on nicely but shouldn't the masts rake forward and have a different rig, have you got the plans the wrong way round?
    It's a junk John.....square prow, pointed stern, masts canted forward!
    The stitching is all hand, why it took me over four hours and a sore neck and shoulders.

That really is a superb bit of modelling Vol. It is going to put all our other efforts in the shade when completed.
    Rob.
    Thanks Rob, this has been a challenging endeavor I am anxious to be done with so I can get back to the 3D ships.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    It's a junk John.....square prow, pointed stern, masts canted forward!
    The stitching is all hand, why it took me over four hours and a sore neck and shoulders.
    Please accept my humble apologies Vol, I was looking at it the wrong way round.

Front to back or back to front, it's a bit of a masterpiece in my humble opinion.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Started assembling a data table on Maneuver Decks to help sort out Unofficial Ships for the Stats Committee a little more.

Curse these doldrums...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It may be a curse to you DB, but your work is a Godsend to the rest of us.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Have received my files from Henry / kickstartersnd have the Spanish ships printed, just the hulls for now, will start on them this week.
    Will post some pics to compRe to the Ares boats.
    I can say the Spanish ships are larger and look to be in keeping with Ares first wave.
    However the Frigate is smaller than the Ares version.
    As I say I hope to get pics by this weekend 21Feb.
    Also received my British files so looking to get them printed next.

The main thing now , for me , is the masts

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Great to hear Chris.
    Look forward to seeing them in the flesh as it were.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

It may be a curse to you DB, but your work is a Godsend to the rest of us.
    Rob.
    The doldrums I curse are the drought of new official releases to further fill in the blanks, my friend.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Right! Got your meaning now DB. I agree totally sir.
    Rob.

Four days to finish the rest of the sails

Name:  20210218_181208.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  162.1 KB

I now know that stitching is NOT my strong suit!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Never mind Vol. One trip to the Med and back with a few make and mend days and you will be stitching like an old shellback.
    Bligh.

Never mind Vol. One trip to the Med and back with a few make and mend days and you will be stitching like an old shellback.
    Bligh.
    Rob you do tend to keep me in stitches at times!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Rob you do tend to keep me in stitches at times!
    Glad to be of service. Just hope that the stitches are not homward bounders!

Rob.

I received my parts order from ModelExpo. The belaying pins are much too large for the rack holes, though they are the smallest size available. So I am attempting to make what I need using wire, shrink tubing and PVA. A tedious process!

On a nicer note, I received another 3D package from my friend Peter across the pond. Three Temeraire class French 74s, two Montanes class Spanish 74s, a 112 gun Santa Ana and a small bag of boats, anchors and various stern plates.

Name:  20210219_121819.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  157.0 KB

Now if I can just get this Chinese Junk off the desk........

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My question now is who is Peter and what scale are those ships done in Vol? I am always keen to sample the work of other makers.
    Rob.

Pete Lowe is, or was, Rory's best gaming friend. We became friends as well. Pete has a FDM printer and a variety of STL files he has accumulated. His sail files are all Simon Mann's designs. He is the one I built the San Juan Nepomuceno for. These hulls are his thank you.
    They are 1/700 scale

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Vol.
    That gives everyone the info.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Still painting GNW 15mm, but I’m almost out of cavalry now. Switched to infantry. The horses in the background is step markers for marking losses. The units are done.
    Last edited by Bligh; 02-25-2021 at 03:29.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Turned the picture for you Jonas.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 02-25-2021 at 07:39.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Thank you, Rob!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I base my GNW miniatures on magnetic bases and put them in tin boxes. I have used a magnetic sticker you put on your car when learning to drive before, but now I ordered a magnetic strip pre cut to the right width. Much easier to use.

Name:  7FABD48D-6AD5-4F93-AEDC-8DCF00C7628D.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  175.4 KB
    (The text is ÖVNINGSKÖRNING)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That's what I use for all my 15 mm units Jonas. It saves so much time on having to cut up the sheets, and also works out cheaper in the long term.
    Rob.

Well I have decided to take a break from the wooden Chinese Junk. I now understand why many wooden ship modelers talk about spending years on a single ship! I don't have that kind of patience, haha. So I have put it up on a shelf with all of the small parts I have been making, sails, etc., for another time when I feel like working on it again. Maybe the start of next winter?
    I have gone back to the 1/700 3D ships. So long February!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

These just hang on to the workbench for March as a flag isn’t finished, but I put them here anyway.

Name:  B4C867A6-019B-4ABB-9CD8-2B7C1045EC07.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  150.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    These just hang on to the workbench for March as a flag isn’t finished, but I put them here anyway.

Name:  B4C867A6-019B-4ABB-9CD8-2B7C1045EC07.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  150.4 KB
    I like them Jonas! Always was partial to the tricorne

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

This is this winter’s Covid-19 activity. There’s a few tricornes in there.

Name:  847E6D1D-2204-43F9-8FFF-07931F620664.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  143.4 KB

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    This is this winter’s Covid-19 activity. There’s a few tricornes in there.

Name:  847E6D1D-2204-43F9-8FFF-07931F620664.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  143.4 KB
    That's a pretty good winters output, Do I take it Spring has arrived in Sweden

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Well... There's months more of winter in the northern parts, but down here the snow is gone and even though there will probably be snowing before the true spring, it feels like it's over already.

Name:  j8gc7fgjrul21.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  192.9 KB
    Finland used to be part of Sweden for more than 500 years. Russia took it 200 years ago and lost it in the revolution. They have about the same weather and mood.
    Last edited by TexaS; 03-01-2021 at 23:16.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That is a fine body of men you have there Jonas.

Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Sounds almost like ours...

Washington Rain Festival: Jan 1-Dec 31
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB