Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's on your workbench for February?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default What's on your workbench for February?

Today I made the ship cards for my USS John Adams.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Ship base card.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Ship Mat.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name card.

Moved a little further on this wooden schooner. The trouble I am having now are the numerous numbered parts still left that aren't shown in the single instruction sheet at all.
    Name:  20210201_153828.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  182.0 KB
    Name:  20210201_210806.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  190.1 KB
    Name:  20210201_210816.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  187.1 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now that is starting to look something like it Vol.
    Have you decided where it will take pride of place when completed?
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here are the cards for my other new Frigate USS Boston.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Nice looking cards Rob, are these based on the Amazon ship models? Forgive my ignorance if this is a foolish question. Are you using photoshop to create them?

Vol that's a fine looking ship, what length is she in real life, I'm just a bit surprised she has a tiller and not a wheel.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Nice looking cards Rob, are these based on the Amazon ship models? Forgive my ignorance if this is a foolish question. Are you using photoshop to create them?

Vol that's a fine looking ship, what length is she in real life, I'm just a bit surprised she has a tiller and not a wheel.

Cheers
    Haha, I have no idea John. It came in just a plain cardboard box with Zero labeling. And as I said, the instructions are entirely pictures with some Chinese writing here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Now that is starting to look something like it Vol.
    Have you decided where it will take pride of place when completed?
    Rob.
    Not exactly yet Rob. I still don't know if I can finish it. I spent most of the day and evening trying to figure out what all of the extra parts are for, and scratch making parts that are shown but aren't supplied or do not fit properly.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Haha, I have no idea John. It came in just a plain cardboard box with Zero labeling. And as I said, the instructions are entirely pictures with some Chinese writing here and there.
    I'm minded to say "Junk" but that would be unfair because she looks pretty good.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well John, the answer is yes. DB reccomended Amazons as a stop gap for those ships, and photoshop is my weapon of choice.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Not exactly yet Rob. I still don't know if I can finish it. I spent most of the day and evening trying to figure out what all of the extra parts are for, and scratch making parts that are shown but aren't supplied or do not fit properly.
    If you think it would be any help, Vol, post pictures of the extra parts and if I have any input I'll share it.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Well John, the answer is yes. DB reccomended Amazons as a stop gap for those ships, and photoshop is my weapon of choice.

Rob.
    Thanks Rob, I have a very vague familiarity with Photoshop but it's very vague. The reason I'm asking is that I have some notion to play a small campaign around the Master and Commander novel, where the Sophie is sent to raid shipping on the south Spanish coast. I've run the idea past my two wargaming internet buddies and they have expressed interest, so I was thinking of letting them name their own ships to try and pull them a bit further into the spirit of the game.
    Do you have a blank and then add text? I'm sure I've seen blank bases but not damage cards.

Sorry the Hollandaise sauce is splitting - got to go

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Send me the weapons and I will do the job.
    Names of Ships. What you want the dates to be.

The stats for the ships, and deck letters. Crew numbers, Nation for whom they are sailing etc, and I will knock out the ship cards, base cards, and ship logs for you. All you will need is the printer and card to mount the ship logs.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

These are for my latest Spanish aquisition.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Ship log.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Base card

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Send me the weapons and I will do the job.
    Names of Ships. What you want the dates to be.

The stats for the ships, and deck letters. Crew numbers, Nation for whom they are sailing etc, and I will knock out the ship cards, base cards, and ship logs for you. All you will need is the printer and card to mount the ship logs.

Rob.
    Rob that's a great offer, thanks, I'll take you up on that in the near future.
    Cheers

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Whenever you are ready my dear chap.
    I reccomend a good quality Matte photo paper for printing, and half mm card for the ship log. If you paste the ship mat onto the card it gives it body and if you double side it with an alternative ship of the same type but different name like to official logs it will be just right for the Log frame and less liable to warp with the danmpness of the drying paste. I can put you any name to the ships cards, mats etc with ease. It is changing stats, flags and number of action boxes which takes the time up.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Under new management!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Ship Log.
    Last edited by Bligh; 02-05-2021 at 13:33.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Last edited by Bligh; 02-05-2021 at 13:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    If you think it would be any help, Vol, post pictures of the extra parts and if I have any input I'll share it.
    Thankyou Dobbs, I will take you up on that. V1 & V2 are the cross tree for one mast, not built yet. I am thinking the two slotted rectangles with the round holes may be platforms that set on the cross trees, though they are not shown and I am not sure of the orientation. The three V3 pieces I think are for the fore & aft sail booms, but I don't see how they would attach to the eds of the dowels. The others are a blank.

Name:  20210205_091836.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  197.1 KB
    Last edited by Volunteer; 02-05-2021 at 10:32.

I have made a little more progress on the Chinese "Junk"

Name:  20210205_091936.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  173.5 KB
    Name:  20210205_091948.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  213.2 KB
    Name:  20210205_091913.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  188.2 KB

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

I have made a little more progress on the Chinese "Junk"
    I did say she looked very pretty

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Whenever you are ready my dear chap.
    I reccomend a good quality Matte photo paper for printing, and half mm card for the ship log. If you paste the ship mat onto the card it gives it body and if you double side it with an alternative ship of the same type but different name like to official logs it will be just right for the Log frame and less liable to warp with the danmpness of the drying paste. I can put you any name to the ships cards, mats etc with ease. It is changing stats, flags and number of action boxes which takes the time up.

Rob.
    Thanks Rob, I suspect it's name changes only unless anyone has come up with a version of HMS Surprise, Jack Aubery's ship, although as I'm trying to replicate his original voyage it was HMS Sophie I believe a Brig, has anyone done any stats for a Brig?

I used a Sloop for the first time ever in a game yesterday and was surprised by how fragile they are so I imagine a puff of wind would sink a brig.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I agree with your assessment about the V3's Vol. Here's a picture of the boom jaws on one of my skipjacks.

Name:  20210205_174528.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  114.1 KB

I imagine your booms would use parrels instead of the rod. Is the foresail loose footed, since there would only be 3 boom jaws? Maybe a pencil sharpener to fit them, orcan a slice be cut in the dowels?

W1 definitely looks like they go at the crosstrees. I notice that the holes are in different locations, like one hole is for the mainmast and the other is for the maintopmast? Perhaps the one with 2 notches goes under the crosstrees and the other goes above them?

I agree with your assessment about the V3's Vol. Here's a picture of the boom jaws on one of my skipjacks.

Name:  20210205_174528.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  114.1 KB

I imagine your booms would use parrels instead of the rod. Is the foresail loose footed, since there would only be 3 boom jaws? Maybe a pencil sharpener to fit them, orcan a slice be cut in the dowels?

W1 definitely looks like they go at the crosstrees. I notice that the holes are in different locations, like one hole is for the mainmast and the other is for the maintopmast? Perhaps the one with 2 notches goes under the crosstrees and the other goes above them?
    What do you think the notches might be for? I had thought one went with the fore mast and one with the main mast. I had to make the caps as the parts supplied were a quarter pf the size needed.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Masts were keyed so they wouldn't rotate, I thought that the notch might be for the square base of the topmast, but I don't know. I will check my rigging books and see if I can come up with a better answer.

What do your caps look like?

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

The notches may be for the running rigging. On the back side of the mast for the throat halyard and maybe the peak halyard comes down the front?

Is there a topmast for the foremast?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Rob, I suspect it's name changes only unless anyone has come up with a version of HMS Surprise, Jack Aubery's ship, although as I'm trying to replicate his original voyage it was HMS Sophie I believe a Brig, has anyone done any stats for a Brig?

I used a Sloop for the first time ever in a game yesterday and was surprised by how fragile they are so I imagine a puff of wind would sink a brig.
    Might be worth having a word with Texas. He did Surprise many moons ago.

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

She looks very nice, but his modelling skills are way beyond mine. Thanks for the info.

Masts were keyed so they wouldn't rotate, I thought that the notch might be for the square base of the topmast, but I don't know. I will check my rigging books and see if I can come up with a better answer.

What do your caps look like?
    Sorry Dobbs, I've been distracted for a few days and today is Superbowl. So here is what the provided caps looked like, clearly not the correct size for this vessel.
    Name:  20210207_134132.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  156.9 KB

As shown on instruction sheet
    Name:  20210207_134226.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  146.4 KB

The caps I made to fit the masts
    Name:  20210207_134148.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  217.7 KB

As for topmasts, these are the only mast/boom material profided top to bottom: bow sprit, two masts, three fore& aft booms. Nothing for the spars shown in the diagram
    Name:  20210207_135049.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  192.2 KB

Nice card design, Rob.

...and good luck with this wooden model, Vol.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Sven.
    I start painting the John Adams today.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    Nice card design, Rob.

...and good luck with this wooden model, Vol.
    Thank you Sven

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Sorry Dobbs, I've been distracted for a few days and today is Superbowl. So here is what the provided caps looked like, clearly not the correct size for this vessel.
    Name:  20210207_134132.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  156.9 KB

As shown on instruction sheet
    Name:  20210207_134226.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  146.4 KB

The caps I made to fit the masts
    Name:  20210207_134148.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  217.7 KB

As for topmasts, these are the only mast/boom material profided top to bottom: bow sprit, two masts, three fore& aft booms. Nothing for the spars shown in the diagram
    Name:  20210207_135049.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  192.2 KB
    Boy, Vol, you do have a project! I googled schooner models to see if I could find a completed image of yours, and it looks like even the manufacturer's model is done incorrectly. It seems like you said, they didn't include many parts for the masts.

My thought with the booms is that the foresail would be loose footed, so only a gaff boom there, leaving material for the main gaff? Is there enough material to cut one dowel to make the bowsprit and jib boom?

Thanks for looking Dobbs. Right on the loose footed foresail so there are only three pieces for the gaffs and boom. The piece for the bow sprit is much too large in diameter to fit the stem. I have put the project on hold while I wait for an order for belaying pins, blocks and deadeyes. I was going to have to buy dowels for the spars anyway so I can add the bow sprit and jib boom to the list at Hobby Lobby.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Finally got started on the John Adams today. Black paintwork finished, tomorrow the light buff.

Rob.

I am still waiting for the parts I ordered from ModelExpo, but tonight I built two ship's boats for the stern davits. I only need one but I tried two methods
    Name:  20210211_213012.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  132.6 KB
    Name:  20210211_213034.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  132.6 KB
    Name:  20210211_213050.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  177.5 KB

I think I like the look of the one on the right best. Now I need to think about how to make and attach the keel, rudder and tiller.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just wondering if the John Adams should have ships boats with stern davits Vol?
    Rob.

Just wondering if the John Adams should have ships boats with stern davits Vol?
    Rob.
    I believe so Rob. Here are the references I have for the 1799 frigate John Adams.
    Name:  post-15936-0-10362100-1447537489_thumb.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  27.6 KB
    Name:  post-15936-0-15041800-1447529724.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  29.1 KB

The finished boat
    Name:  20210212_204803.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  126.1 KB
    Name:  20210212_204817.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  108.1 KB
    Name:  20210212_204832.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  96.3 KBName:  20210212_204832.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  96.3 KB

And the new scratch davits
    Name:  20210212_205341.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  124.7 KB

I tried working on the masts but gave up.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Vol. I will add a pair to my model. That also begs the question of if Essex should have the same? The only picture of it that I saw did not.
    Rob.