Thread: My Winter Friend Returns....

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Default My Winter Friend Returns....

Every winter the US Coast Guard icebreaker Penobscot Bay (see photo) makes its way past my place to its winter mooring in Rhinebeck, NY (about 30 minutes North of my place) and on Friday I saw it go by once again. None too soon I might add as with temperatures hovering around 25F (-4C) for the weekend and the forecast of 3-6 inches of snow today in the Hudson Highlands, the Hudson River has begun to freeze over. During the War for American Independence it is documented that the river froze over so thickly that American and British troops could cross the river on foot to raid each others camps. Let's hope this winter will not be THAT bad....
    Name:  Coast Guard icebreaker Penobscot Bay.jpg
Views: 1257
Size:  209.5 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A very emotive winter scene.
    On Sunday winter finally came to the Trent valley Bill.
    Nothing as fine as your view however!
    Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Both are very nice winter scenes. We just got dumped on in southern Wisconsin; 5 to 7 inches with drifting much higher. The piles are getting so high now we can't really throw the snow over them very easily!?
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Last time we saw snow like that was about 25 years ago Jim. The boys were quite young and built a huge sno bear in the garden.
    Unfortunately I did not take any photos of it.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

We have had hardly any snow round here.

Brief snow here. Been getting less and less in the last 20 years. Still I am casting my eye on palm trees and blue water in the future and will leave the snow to the photos!

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Well it looks like another major Nor'Easter is headed our way -- snow and high winds from Monday after midnight into Tuesday morning. One forecast says 8-12 inches of snow, another 12-18 inches -- such is life in the Hudson Highlands. If we lose power I will be radio silent on here until the power returns.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Let us hope it won't come to that Bill.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Let us hope it won't come to that Bill.
    Rob.
    Quite a winter blizzard has now passed us by -- we had 40 mile per hour wind gusts and it snowed 1-2 inches per hour for 24 hours -- the Hudson partially frozen over -- temperature 3 F (-16C) overnight. The lights flickered a couple of times, but we did not lose power. Here are a couple of photos my daughter took of the aftermath.

Name:  Snowstorm 2.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  123.0 KB

Name:  Snowstorm 1.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  174.2 KB

Name:  Snowstorm 3.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  239.4 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks rather chilly Bill. I should Keep your Brass Monkeys below decks.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

From all accounts I've seen the East Coast definitely got hammered by the latest storm. You have my sympathies. Unfortunately, we have more Winter on the way with an Arctic blast right behind it. I don't know where they're going to put the snow if we get the 4" to 6" they're predicting!?!

Two photos from almost the same spot on the Circle!
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb