Thread: An Affair in Morocco (Part Three)

Hybrid View

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default An Affair in Morocco (Part Three)

Characters introduced into the story thus far.

Algerine and Moroccan Persona.
    The Dey of Gizzanoffa: Kamel Mudanyaei.
    His Vizier: Amin Giffar.
    The Dey’s: Admiral Kulin Bey.
    The late Captain of the Al Mukabir: Camel Mujadine
    American persona.
    The Squadron commander: Commodore Silas Goldberg.
    The captain of USS Constitution: David Frazer.
    The captain of USS Essex: Andrew Millington.
    The captain of USS Syren: Gregory Hardman.
    Syren’s Sailing Master: Simeon Prentice.

New Persona introduced for Sɪˈrɒkoʊ!

The new Captain of the Al Mukabir: Rashid Suleiman

The American Navy.

First officer of USS Essex: Paul Swift.
    Essex’s Sailing Master: Hezekiah Bramley.
    Essex’s Captain of Marines: Davy Weiss.

Introduction.

Following Captain Hardman’s mauling of the prize ship in Kamel Mudanyaei’s fleet it had to return to Gizzanoffa for repairs, whilst Kulin Bey thought up a good reason for the failure. To this end he was now looking for a replacement captain for Camel Mujadine who now decorated one of the Citadel’s walls. The lucky job fell to one Rashid Suleiman who immediately began on the repairs to his ship.
    Thus from the point of view of Commodore Goldberg’s blockading squadron the next few weeks passed very quietly with the dreary daily round of seeking enemy ships that failed to materialize.

Then came the day of the great Sɪˈrɒkoʊ blowing with a vehemence that no ship could withstand. It howled out of the South across the desert bringing with it a stinging maelstrom of sand. Goldberg’s ships were all forced to run before the gale in order to survive. Within hours the wind faded to nought but a breeze. The damage was already done though. As the battered ships made running repairs and the headed back toward the port of Gizzanoffa, the Dey’s vessels had already slipped out of harbour with a favourable wind, and were now at large in the vast reaches of the Mediterranean ready to bring death and destruction to any hapless merchantman that they encountered.
    Commodore Goldberg had no option, but to abandon the blockade and dispatch his squadron in penny packets to search for the Algerine ships.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

An Affair in Morocco (Part Three)
    Characters introduced into the story thus far.
    Algerine and Moroccan Persona.
    The Dey of Gizzanoffa: Kamel Mudanyaei.
    His Vizier: Amin Giffar.
    The Dey’s: Admiral Kulin Bey.
    The late Captain of the Al Mukabir: Camel Mujadine
    American persona.
    The Squadron commander: Commodore Silas Goldberg.
    The captain of USS Constitution: David Frazer.
    The captain of USS Essex: Andrew Millington.
    The captain of USS Syren: Gregory Hardman.
    Syren’s Sailing Master: Simeon Prentice.

New Persona introduced for Sɪˈrɒkoʊ!
    The new Captain of the Al Mukabir: Rashid Suleiman

The American Navy.
    First officer of USS Essex: Paul Swift.
    Essex’s Sailing Master: Hezekiah Bramley.
    Essex’s Captain of Marines: Davy Weiss.
    Essex’s Master Gunner: Hamish Fyffe.
    Essex’s Master Carpenter: Amos Grady

AAR.
    The weather once more turned perverse, with very little wind and temperature inversion over the sea two days of fog descended upon the questing ships of the American squadron, and each vessel was constrained to a slow crawl through the murky mist, sometimes with the aid of the ships boats when the wind failed completely.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sometime after what would have been dawn on the third day, a slightly stronger wind blew up and gradually patches of clearer visibility drifted across the surface of the sea.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Lieutenant Paul Swift, the First Officer of USS Essex, after a short conversation with her sailing master Hezekiah Bramley decided to call his captain Andrew Millington to the deck, as he knew that both the captain and Hezekiah were keen to take sightings as soon as possible after two days of progress under dead reckoning alone.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

No sooner had Captain Millington arrived than word was sent back from the lookout in the bows that he had heard a sound from ahead which sounded like another vessel.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Consequently orders were relayed to the crew to take up their battle stations. However, before this could be completed a break in the mist revealed a Xebec Frigate crossing the bows of the Essex.

Great to see this instalment of your Moroccan campaign finally posted. Although it started a bit murky...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Great to see this instalment of your Moroccan campaign finally posted. Although it started a bit murky...
    Yes, did you like the fog? I was trying out my chance encounter rule for fog or night action to see how it went. I did not know where or when the enemy ship would appear nor its heading until it showed up. There were actually two more dice rolls which took place in the middle of the ones shown which I left out so as not to bore you too much. There is a sequel to this one in the pipeline.
    Thanks for the Rep.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Yes, did you like the fog? I was trying out my chance encounter rule for fog or night action to see how it went. I did not know where or when the enemy ship would appear nor its heading until it showed up. There were actually two more dice rolls which took place in the middle of the ones shown which I left out so as not to bore you too much. There is a sequel to this one in the pipeline.
    Thanks for the Rep.

Rob.
    Yes, I did like the fog - very atmospheric.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Yes, I did like the fog - very atmospheric.
    I thought he needed to clean his camera lens

Excellent lesson in tactics, that'll learn em, they'll not mess with the US Navy again. Great action, shame not to see the shoreline and your wonderfull terrain but I guess you have to go to sea sometime.

How do you think you fog rules played out, were you happy with the result, and are they in the files section so we can rummage, and pillage them?

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I thought he needed to clean his camera lens

Excellent lesson in tactics, that'll learn em, they'll not mess with the US Navy again. Great action, shame not to see the shoreline and your wonderfull terrain but I guess you have to go to sea sometime.

How do you think you fog rules played out, were you happy with the result, and are they in the files section so we can rummage, and pillage them?
    I thought Rob was hiding some unfinished kit in the fog...which cleared as he completed it. Clever.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for your comments and the Rep John.
    I will explain the rules after we get back from shopping. They worked for me O.K. I will leave it to others to judge for themselves. I have never put anything in the files because I can't get access to them.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post

The fog/ night/ or even sanstorm works like this John.

Use the gridded chart to determine where your ship moves from. Then choose your cards as usual, and move accordingly on the table to match the imaginary grid. at the end of the move throw 2 D 6 dice to indicate a sqoare on the table. If the square is adjacent to the one your ship currently occupies then the enemy ship is sighted through the fog. If not make your next move and then check again. Do this until a square adjacent to your ship comes up and place the enemy ship in the middle of this square. Pull a wind direction chip and this will determine the heading of the enemy ship. If playing with the wind rules a sighting will also trigger an increase in wind from light to medium and disperse the fog. from this point you also start checking for directional changes in the wind as per normal. Both ships then follow the normal rules for play. If you want to check your lookouts ability to see the enemy you can also deploy cards for this as the fog lifts.

For some scenarios you may also wish to use this card as an option

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 02-22-2021 at 09:29.

Hard fight and a lot of raking shots.

Nice story Rob and the effects!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thank you my dear Comte, and hopefully we will be able to play a game together off these hostile shores at the next Doncastee. Also just noyiced your Rep comment. Thankee sir.

Arr!

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Thanks Rob, nice and simples, which in my book is good. Looks like it will work well to bring a surprise encounter in a solo game.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Glad you like it John. As I get older I prefer Kiss methods.
    Also thank you for the Rep.
    Tomorrow I will be playing the sequel to this AAR.

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Rob, sorry this is totally off topic but you've talked about your Malta Air campaign and I've tried unsuccessfully to find your posts, can you give me a link please, as I would like to have a look at them.
    Cheers

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If you look here John, you should finf the Malta alternatives to the Missions with my AAR's usually as a footnote.

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...-ETO-Scenarios

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    If you look here John, you should finf the Malta alternatives to the Missions with my AAR's usually as a footnote.

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...-ETO-Scenarios

Rob.
    Thanks Rob, for some reason I thought it was a completely seperate campaign rather than your slice of the action in a larger campaign, also older than I was expecting. On the bright side it gives me plenty of reading matter. Your aircraft hangers in the report I read are brilliant and they burned really well.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks John.

If you want to see a bit more large scale action, you can look at the Operation Pedestal game which I put on at Doncaster 15. For starters,"entrée" it includes a rare cameo shot of Tim getting his hands wet. All the Merchant ships were kindly provided by Neil.

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...w-Doncaster-15

Rob.