Thread: Duty and Daring March 2015 Scenario (Vagabond)

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Default Duty and Daring March 2015 Scenario (Vagabond)

March 2015 Solo Mission -- Duty and Daring: By Nightmoss

Memories of an Old French Sea Dog (Souvenirs d'un vieux chien de mer français)

As told by that old French Sea Dog Jean le Vagabond to anyone drinking in Martine’s Bar in central Brittany some time in the 1830’s. His usual audience is Baptiste and Baptiste’s handsome daughter Hermione, but in general, anyone who will listen and indeed fill up his glass with the proverbial 98 Brandy, or indeed anything alcoholic is a welcome audience.

I have stolen my style from Arthur Conan-Doyle’s Memories of Brigadier Gerrard a Light Cavalryman in Napoleons Wars, it is a great read if you like tounge in the cheek humour.

Name:  001 P1460089 800.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  36.8 KB
    We had been working on the old Orient night and day since the battle but we still hadn’t managed to rig a working sail or jury rudder that would help us overcome the wind and strong tidal drift towards the coast. I could see the breakers in the distance and knew that without some assistance we would end our days on that desolate beach.

I know Baptiste that the tales I have told you in this snug bar in central Brittany have mainly been of fame and glory but the one I want to recount tonight shows another side of sailing and warfare at sea, the one that no one really talks about. Yes the despair when you realise that no matter how hard you fight the elements, they will always be stronger than you. This combination of wind and tide going in the same direction is powerful indeed and almost no square rigged ship can make way against it, although it is more comfortable than when the wind is against the tide and they fight for dominance, kicking up a rough sea in the process.

I was just a young Aspirant then, I’d only been in the Navy three months and was still wet behind the ears. We had fought a long and hard battle against Johnny Rostbif, as you would expect I had acquitted myself well, especially for a lad of 14 years. Yes Hermione I was only 14 years old when I went to sea, although there were younger men in the service there were none as brave and bold as I – Jean le Vagabond. I can see in your face you are a young woman of great intellect and I can’t pull the wool over your eyes, but when I say all around me men despaired and it was up to me a 14 year old boy to maintain morale you know I speak the truth.

I was the first to see her, my eyes were strong and sharp then and I saw Courageous before any of my compatriots and shouted out “we are rescued, we are rescued” They all looked aft to see a glorious sight, a Concorde Class Frigate under full sail chasing and catching us as fast as ever you like.

Name:  002 P1460091 800.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  51.4 KB
    Beware - Johnny Rosbif someone shouted from the bows and sure enough a British 74 was hull up on the horizon. Why the lookout hadn’t seen her earlier I really don’t know but Capitaine Nubuierre didn’t keep such a tight ship as I would have done in his position.

Name:  003 P1460092 800.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  41.0 KB
    The two ships approached as fast as ever they could but Courageous was going to reach us first, if only she could get a line across to us we might still be saved. It was a forlorn hope Hermione because a 74 against a 32 gun frigate would be no match at all, but you know that don’t you. You have been listening and learning these past few weeks, a very admirable trait in one so young and beautiful as yourself, but you know there is still much to learn from older and wiser heads, I will endeavour to teach you more.

Ah Baptiste, my glass seems to be empty, would you be a good fellow and go and ask Martine to fill it up and I can continue my tale when you get back. Yes the 98 brandy is the one, I’m glad you remember, and don’t forget it’s from the green bottle, ahh you remember that as well, bien tot.

While we wait for him, maybe I could tell you about the Monkey’s Fist, don’t blush so Hermione, it is nothing but a knot. Yes a grande knot in the shape of a ball, it is usually tied around a stone or sometime a lead ball, the weight allows it to be thrown a long way and you attach a light line to it. On the other end of the throwing line is a thicker line and that is how we sailors pass a tow rope from one ship to the other. It is simple n’est pas, although it does require strength and skill to throw it accurately.

Name:  004 P1460093 800.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  56.5 KB
    Well of course when Capitaine Nubuierre asked for a man to throw the line to Courageuse everyone stood aside to let me make the cast, at such a critical time we could not endure failure.
    The cast was straight and true and caught cleanly by a evil looking fellow on Courageous and they hauled over first the light line and then the towing line and we made fast both ends.

Name:  005 P1460094 800.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  52.8 KB
    Le Rosbif’s 74 was closing but instead of continuing straight towards us he turned into the wind, a strange thing to do in the circumstances.

Name:  006 P1460096 800.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  44.9 KB
    That’s right Hermione we call it tacking when the ship crosses the line of the wind but it is a manoeuvre that can be fraught with problems, there was one occasion that it was nearly my undoing but I will recount that tale another time.
    As Le Rosbif turned away from us he let fly with his starboard quarter battery, causing some damage to Courageous who was drawing ahead of us slowly, she didn’t want to put too much strain of the towing line and snap it.

Name:  007 P1460097 800.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  43.7 KB
    This was accomplished with panache, but as you have heard me praise French seamanship in the past that will come as no surprise to you Hermione and indeed even your Father Baptiste here will have gathered that by now.
    Le Rosbif continued to move away from us as he reloaded his cannon. The only thing I could think to account for his timidity was that he knew what a fearsome fighting ship Orient was, and even in our damaged state dared not approach to closely.

(The main reason though was that the French Commander was using the AI Manoeuvre charts wrongly, but that is another story - best forgotten)

Name:  008 P1460099 800.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  54.0 KB
    The tow was established and we were making slow progress away from the coast. A 32 gun Frigate is a fine sight but she was dwarfed by the size of Orient and she was finding it hard work to pull us away from the tide and wind blowing us towards our doom.

Name:  009 P1460101 800.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  55.2 KB
    Le Rosbif had tacked again and was approaching with the wind blowing over his quarter, pushing him along quite quickly, he soon regretted his boldness when he came in range of our guns and received a raking broadside from Courageous, but the real damage was done by our starboard bow battery on Orient. Fire blossomed on the enemy ship, maybe we had hit his galley stove I don’t know, we always extinguish ours when joining battle but the Rosbif’s are careless fellows.

What did you say Hermione, who was the commander of the starboard bow battery, why of course it was I, Jean le Vagabond from Marsailles. I had some steady gunners under my command that day, obviously they needed my guidance to lay their guns accurately, but that’s only to be expected from these uneducated fellows. They may have been at sea most of their lives but I had spent a month at the Artillery College in Toulon and knew all the latest ballistic science which as you know will always surpass ignorance even if it is experienced ignorance.
    Well I had an especial fondness for the No 2 gun in the battery and pushing the grizzled gun captain aside I laid her carefully myself and fired, this was the ball that took down the Fore mast on our enemies ship and won the battle, a claim that the gun captain on No 3 gun disputed but what did that cross-eyed old greybeard know.

Name:  010 P1460103 800.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  60.9 KB
    The panic and confusion on the enemy must have been dreadful to behold because when they brought their starboard battery to bear the shot fell short and did no damage at all.

Name:  011 P1460105 800.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  59.4 KB
    Heartened by the damage I had caused to the enemy, our stern battery did great execution to them as they came closer. By now there was total panic, the fires were spreading and we were concerned that she shouldn’t collide with the old Orient, fire would have been the end for us.

The British ship struck her colours and surrendered rather than take a further pounding but the fires were so well established that she burned to the water line and sank without a trace. We could not put along side because of the fire and all our boats had been destroyed in the previous battle so we could only rescue a few of the poor fellows, those who could swim and that was not many.

A sad sight for us all.

Well Baptiste I must be off to my bed, one day I will tell you about that fight in the Orient, indeed my first sea battle and the reason we were in such dire straights when Johnny Rosbif caught us on that lee shore but it will have to wait for another day. Mademoiselle Hermione it has been a pleasure to have your company tonight and I look forward to meeting you again, your nautical knowledge is a pleasure for an old man to behold.
    Yes I shall be here in Martine’s bar on Monday evening, maybe I could tell you the story of how I protected a convoy of valuable merchantmen from Johnny Le Rosbif when I was Capitaine of my true love, your namesake Hermione and how I almost came to grief through the foolish mistakes of my enemy.

Baptiste maybe you would care to order a fresh glass of the 98 when we meet on Monday, it lubricates my tonsils perfectly.

Adieu to you both.

Name:  012 P1460106 800.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  67.9 KB
    Courageous took almost no damage.

Name:  013 P1460107 800.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  58.9 KB
    Orient, the C damage is the damage covered by the previous battle in the scenario directions.

Name:  014 P1460108 800.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  64.7 KB
    Le Rosbif’s 74 a smouldering wreak after my forward starboard battery had decimated them.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

What an awesome and entertaining AAR! Thanks for bringing a chuckle or two to my face. Well done on your mission too!
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A nifty bit of action John. I do hope that future captains of the Orient take good note of the damage fire can do to a ship when combustables are left on deck and not stored correctly!
    Bligh.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    What an awesome and entertaining AAR! Thanks for bringing a chuckle or two to my face. Well done on your mission too!
    Cheers Jim, thanks for the rep and I'm pleased it gave you a chuckle. I enjoyed the game, it's a while since I've been to sea and it led me onto the next mission which was completed by the skin of my teeth and I'm currently playing one with 8 ships of the line, more than I've ever had on the table. It is going very badly for the French (me) at the moment and I don't think I can bring it around.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    A nifty bit of action John. I do hope that future captains of the Orient take good note of the damage fire can do to a ship when combustables are left on deck and not stored correctly!
    Bligh.
    Thanks Rob, I think it's the barrels of brandy that are more flamable than the Royal Navies Rum.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My alter ego on the Drome seems to blame it on the Gin fumes.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Cheers Jim, thanks for the rep and I'm pleased it gave you a chuckle. I enjoyed the game, it's a while since I've been to sea and it led me onto the next mission which was completed by the skin of my teeth and I'm currently playing one with 8 ships of the line, more than I've ever had on the table. It is going very badly for the French (me) at the moment and I don't think I can bring it around.
    Wishing you the best of luck in your latest session. One or two good rolls of the dice might be all it needs?
    –English Proverb

Great action and story-telling, John. *lifts a glass of 98 to an old salt*

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looking forward to the next installment John.
    I'm just trying to find time to get mine written up.
    Maybe tomorrow!
    Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Thanks Paul, that 98 Brandy sure goes down easily when you're spinning a yarn.

Rob I keep looking to see if you've completed the 3rd Moroccan game, the anticipation is growing.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Thanks Paul, that 98 Brandy sure goes down easily when you're spinning a yarn.

Rob I keep looking to see if you've completed the 3rd Moroccan game, the anticipation is growing.
    Cat trouble today. Salem got his tail half bitten of by some maurading beast one night, and we are visiting the vet with him. Half an hour wait in the Covid free Car park and half an hour in the surgery. Only two more days antibiotics to go now and then back to the Vet yet again on Thursday to see if the collar can come off him. Hopefully before the weekend I may get time.

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Cat trouble today. Salem got his tail half bitten of by some maurading beast one night, and we are visiting the vet with him. Half an hour wait in the Covid free Car park and half an hour in the surgery. Only two more days antibiotics to go now and then back to the Vet yet again on Thursday to see if the collar can come off him. Hopefully before the weekend I may get time.

Rob.
    Wow that's bad news, especially for Salem, hope he/she recovers quickly.

Interesting name for a cat, anything to do with witchcraft?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Salem Saberhagen.

Salem Saberhagen is a fictional character from the American Archie Comics comic series Sabrina the Teenage Witch. Salem is an American Shorthair cat who lives with Sabrina Spellman, Hilda Spellman and Zelda Spellman in the fictional town of Greendale, located near Riverdale.

my number one son suggested the name when Salem walked into our lives one miserable cold wet February morning 15 years ago.
    It was parlly because of the abobe and partly because we did 17th cent re-enactment and Mrs B uses a Great wheel for spinning at events.
    There is another reason, but you would have to ask Codeyes about that if he ever takes to posting again.

Rob.

Our Salem.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Your Salem looks distinctly less scary than the first one.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

To paraphrase Lord Wellington. I don't know what he does to the enemy, but by God he scares me.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Oh Boy! Cat pictures!

I'm glad Salem is on the mend.

This is our Max, named after Professor Fate's henchman in "The Great Race". He's an indoor cat that views supervised outdoor excursions to the porch as a wild event.
    Last edited by Bligh; 02-04-2021 at 01:12.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Oh Boy! Cat pictures!

This is our Max, named after Professor Fate's henchman in "The Great Race". He's an indoor cat that views supervised outdoor excursions to the porch as a wild event.
    And how often does Max, "Push the button"?

Sorry to dislodge the thread, but I couldn't resist.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Oh Boy! Cat pictures!

Max looks like he could be Salem's brother.
    I turned your picture up the right way.
    Salem, having been a stray for sometime is an outdoor cat, and being gated for a week whilst his wounds heal has driven both him and us to distraction.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

I'll post a picture of a cat at the beginning of my next AAR, they get more attention than my prose does.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sorry John.
    It was my answering your question about Salem that hijacked your thread. However, you are correct. If John Vagabond gave Hermione a small black kitten at the start of your next adventure both you an he would be made for life.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Maybe an errant crewmember is getting flogged with the 'cat' at the beginning?...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Ah yes! It was the cat. Would you get more for the sale of the crewman or the cat if you flogged them separately Dobbs?
    Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Ah yes! It was the cat. Would you get more for the sale of the crewman or the cat if you flogged them separately Dobbs?
    Rob.