Thread: Tenth Anniversary thoughts... inspired by the Anniversary Medal discussion

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Default Tenth Anniversary thoughts... inspired by the Anniversary Medal discussion

I put out some feelers to Rob at Ares with the 20th Anniversary of Wings (2004-24) and 10th of Sails (launched 2012 according to Ares or '13 to BGG) coming up, and he seemed receptive to the idea of doing some things to mark the anniversaries.

Thought it might be a good idea for us to try to spitball some ideas here, then maybe open up the Suggestion Box to the membership at large. What all might be good ideas for this?
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Maybe some truly new models to mark the occasion. Such as the Indy / Santissima Trinidad special packs, or the merchant ship / privateer wave that were planned some years ago?

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Kinda late but worth proposing... I was thinking of maybe a "second chance" on the Kickstarter ships via KS only as a possibility, with the package somehow marked "2nd Edition."

We know they're already developing a pirate game on the Sails engine with sculpts already in design, but I think I'm gonna sit it out like T&T.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Of course the new pirate variant might be their 10th anniversary "event"

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Glad you raised this DB.
    I think we should kick it around for a few weeks and then open up to the general membership as you suggest. Let's see what the other Board members have to say first. We may get more response than I have over the medal idea.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Personally and I mean personally , I would like to see some Brit Second rates or large 74s to flesh out Trafalgar, I would then put on Trafalgar again with the new editions, with the Santiss if poss
    Last edited by Capn Duff; 11-12-2020 at 14:22.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Chris, I'm trying to get both a Large and a Middling out of them in the long-term roadmap. In the meantime, to shortcut a Middling just swap a Temeraire gun-line onto a Bellona model and log.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That is the track that I am following as far as I have the models spare to do it with.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

As have I so far, but twould be nice to have the proper models would it not.
    If next Summer the Game Expo show goes ahead and Ares attend, I will broach putting on Trafalgar for them, think .i can adapt to public multi play. We will see

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Maybe if Ares gets the lead out, and if I'm right about four sculpts plus boatload of restat reprints, we might be able to get Trafalgar done just in time for the 220th in 2025. When Collingwood broke the line, did his section follow Nelson's north or turn south? Toying with an idea splitting the battle into two sections...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Chris did that when we put it on at Doncaster. One half in the morning and one in the afternoon.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

True, but I was thinking of separate locations at the same time. If we could find a clear line that no ship crossed we could cleanly split things into two scenarios.

In turn, this could make a proof-of-concept opportunity for coordinated larger campaigns if not entire "world at war" events adding strategy and resource management...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

We did split it that way DB. Coll in the Morning and Nelson in the afternoon.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Any extra input from shipmates would be welcome.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Any extra input from shipmates would be welcome.
    Rob.
    If Ares intends Sails of Glory to continue then they need to step up with ships (new or old). 2022 seems like it might be a bit away, but if they do want anything new for the anniversary they no doubt need to start now with their overseas factories. Personally, I think they need to follow through on the original concept focusing on Trafalgar. Finally releasing a special edition Santisima Trinidad would seem most appropriate.

SoG has all but ceased to exist in the local gaming market as it was always a very niche miniatures game. If Ares would like to reinvigorate the IP, perhaps a new Kickstarter campaign that crosses over from Age of Discovery to Age of Sail would be an approach?

Final thought has to do with the advances in 3D printing. Maybe Ares could work with some of the awesome sculptors and offer limited or collector edition ships for the anniversary whenever they choose to celebrate it? This should be something that could be done in a short period of time and not the months and months necessary for work out of China?
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Ares had a plan (as did the Cylons), Santissima Trinidad and Indefatigable as special packs, a trio of merchants that could serve ad auxiliary warships (including HMS Bounty and a Xebec). It would be good to see those plans come to fruition.

Indeed.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I see no ships!
    Attached Images Attached Images