Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: How to make flashing broadside markers

  1. #1
    Landsman
    United States

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    PA
    Log Entries
    21
    Name
    Carlos

    Default How to make flashing broadside markers

    Has anyone tried this? I want to have some cool cannon effects alongside my ships.

  2. #2
    Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    WA
    Log Entries
    3,677
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

    Default

    Hmm... maybe form a glob of cotton around a flickering LED tealight or those LED earrings Rob used for his burning ships? Possibly use a shaped chunk of aluminum foil as a reflector?
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

  3. #3
    Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Notts
    Log Entries
    17,390
    Blog Entries
    22
    Name
    Rob

    Default

    Have a look at post 45 here Carlos.

    https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...4888#post94888

    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

  4. #4

    Default

    You might find this YouTube video tutorial of help? The crew at Little War TV came up with these when they fought Trafalgar some time ago.

    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

  5. #5
    Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Notts
    Log Entries
    17,390
    Blog Entries
    22
    Name
    Rob

    Default

    Great stuff. I actually have a lot of those bits Jim. Just did not do a flashing one because it is a lot harder to catch on camera.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Great stuff. I actually have a lot of those bits Jim. Just did not do a flashing one because it is a lot harder to catch on camera.
    Rob.
    Very true. With still photography you're likely to only get one or maybe two LEDs on at the same time.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

  7. #7
    1st Lieutenant
    United States

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Log Entries
    1,093
    Name
    Eric

    Default

    If you look in the AAR thread I have several convention game reports using lighted broadside markers. (Way back in 2014 and 2015 actually lol). In addition to the thread posted above and the more recent game Dobbs hosted.

    https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...on)-Historicon

    This one shows some of the LEDs. I used something called Blinky lights. Little LED blinking buttons and attached a base and a bit of cotton ball, well actually the fake snow craft store stuffing. Here is a link to the lights:

    https://www.flashingblinkylights.com...p-on-pins.html

  8. #8
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Washington
    Log Entries
    912
    Blog Entries
    2
    Name
    Vol

    Default

    Thanks Eric. I have one of these that Gunner sent me years ago ss a fire marker. I didn't know where to find more until now.

  9. #9
    Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Notts
    Log Entries
    17,390
    Blog Entries
    22
    Name
    Rob

    Default

    For fire markers they look excellent, though flashing a bit too fast for me for gun fire, unless you are representing a rolling broadside rather than a simultaneous one.
    Fantasising, I thought that a remote controlled light which you could activate when your broadside was fired and adjust for a rolling broadside as an option would be the ultimate solution.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    If you look in the AAR thread I have several convention game reports using lighted broadside markers. (Way back in 2014 and 2015 actually lol). In addition to the thread posted above and the more recent game Dobbs hosted.

    https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...on)-Historicon

    This one shows some of the LEDs. I used something called Blinky lights. Little LED blinking buttons and attached a base and a bit of cotton ball, well actually the fake snow craft store stuffing. Here is a link to the lights:

    https://www.flashingblinkylights.com...p-on-pins.html
    Thanks for the links, Eric. If memory serves you used to play Naval Action? I'm back on the pve server. I just redeemed my Christian.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

  11. #11

    Default

    I usually experience a flashing broadside from SWMBO after I inadvertently run athwart her hawser in some way.....

  12. #12
    1st Lieutenant
    United States

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Log Entries
    1,093
    Name
    Eric

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Thanks for the links, Eric. If memory serves you used to play Naval Action? I'm back on the pve server. I just redeemed my Christian.
    Correct. I have not been playing much as my clan on PVP when on to other games, then Prussia got overrun and our clan warehouse is in a Spanish port now!

    Christian is a great ship. I never ranked up far enough after the release wipe to get her in the gifts though. Since I now have a 2k monitor I have played a bit recently. Looking forward to their single player game "Sea Legends" which is promised to be more of a sailing sim with all the bits like variable wind, true depths and detailed sail control that were left out of NA. Coming out as alpha soon but hard to stomach the 145 USD price. I guess that is in line with Milsims like DCS though.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Correct. I have not been playing much as my clan on PVP when on to other games, then Prussia got overrun and our clan warehouse is in a Spanish port now!

    Christian is a great ship. I never ranked up far enough after the release wipe to get her in the gifts though. Since I now have a 2k monitor I have played a bit recently. Looking forward to their single player game "Sea Legends" which is promised to be more of a sailing sim with all the bits like variable wind, true depths and detailed sail control that were left out of NA. Coming out as alpha soon but hard to stomach the 145 USD price. I guess that is in line with Milsims like DCS though.
    Thanks for the reply and update on your Naval Action situation. While they've changed some things for the better I feel life on the PVE server is rather boring. It takes too long to get anything accomplished and with over 1,300 hours in the game I don't feel like putting much more into a game that's pretty much been set adrift by the developers.

    Like you indicated they're focusing on Sea Legends and while some folks love what they're promising I'm not likely to be one of them. I enjoy games not real world simulations. A 'game' as granular as this is sounding may only to appeal to sailors? Time will tell.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •