Thread: Maritime Movie Club

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Default Maritime Movie Club

Join USS Constitution Museum's Public Historian Carl Herzog and Site Interpreter Jennifer Zanolli for a fun, free virtual program at 3PM Eastern on December 30 for a discussion of the film "Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl" -- clips from the film and historical discussions about what it was really like being a pirate. Also in article is link to view the film in its entirety if you wish. Earlier in the year they ran a similar program with "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World" that was great fun ....can "Captain Blood" be far behind ?

https://ussconstitutionmuseum.org/ev...the-caribbean/

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Great Bill just off to bed now but will catch this in the morning.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Ironically I just started work on my version of The Black Pearl!
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just looked at that Bill. looks like one to watch with the expert crit on it and background information being handed out.
    I'm sure that Simon ( Ensign Patch) would be interested.Arrrr! Whilst I am just a slave of duty.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Thank you for the 'heads up', Bill.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

i watched the film last night -- I hadn't seen it in years and forgot how much fun it really is and how good an acting job Geoffrey Rush and Johnny Depp do in it. Hans Zimmer is a brilliant film score composer. It will be interesting to see what the discussion is this afternoon in the museum program.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    i watched the film last night -- I hadn't seen it in years and forgot how much fun it really is and how good an acting job Geoffrey Rush and Johnny Depp do in it. Hans Zimmer is a brilliant film score composer. It will be interesting to see what the discussion is this afternoon in the museum program.
    This still remains one of my favorite films. So many great moments and wonderful lines, "I’m disinclined to acquiesce to your request", "The code is more what you call guidelines than actual rules" and "Like pain? Try wearing a corset!".
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It has reminded me that I intended to watch the Black Sails series again over Christmas.
    Better get started on that one now.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

I had great fun with the Maritime Movie Club event for "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl." They showed some interesting historical documents and had a fun discussion of piracy and the film. One of the things I learned is that what we have come to call "pirate speak" originated with English actor Robert Newton when he auditioned for the role of Long John Silver in the 1950 Disney film "Treasure Island" (based on the Scottish writer Robert Louis Stevenson's novel). Newton was from the west country of England and really played up his natural accent for the audition -- they loved it so much he got the role and "pirate speak" was born! They had a trivia contest for participants at the end of the event with a replica maritime telescope as the prize -- I finished second by one question! I got all the historical questions right but missed one of the film trivia questions (it figures). As soon as the event is archived I will post the YouTube of it here.
    Here's a link to a YouTube of their first Maritime Movie Club event for "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World" done earlier this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLXvY6EWrmY

ALSO: For those who have never been on the Disney World "Pirates of the Caribbean" ride that inspired the film franchise, here is a YouTube of the ride experience (enjoy!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5pjkheNnEQ

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I had great fun with the Maritime Movie Club event for "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl." They showed some interesting historical documents and had a fun discussion of piracy and the film. One of the things I learned is that what we have come to call "pirate speak" originated with English actor Robert Newton when he auditioned for the role of Long John Silver in the 1950 Disney film "Treasure Island" (based on the Scottish writer Robert Louis Stevenson's novel). Newton was from the west country of England and really played up his natural accent for the audition -- they loved it so much he got the role and "pirate speak" was born! They had a trivia contest for participants at the end of the event with a replica maritime telescope as the prize -- I finished second by one question! I got all the historical questions right but missed one of the film trivia questions (it figures). As soon as the event is archived I will post the YouTube of it here.
    Here's a link to a YouTube of their first Maritime Movie Club event for "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World" done earlier this year:

ALSO: For those who have never been on the Disney World "Pirates of the Caribbean" ride that inspired the film franchise, here is a YouTube of the ride experience (enjoy!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5pjkheNnEQ
    Yes, I've been on the Disney ride for PotC, both before and after they added Johnny Depp and removed some 'questionable' content from said ride.
    –English Proverb

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Yes, I've been on the Disney ride for PotC, both before and after they added Johnny Depp and removed some 'questionable' content from said ride.
    Yes -- I just don't see what is so objectionable about auctioning off a wench or two.....(just kidding folks...). I was at the park just after it opened and again when my children were little -- three of the four are in their 30's now, so I didn't see the ride with the Johnny Depp reference other than in the YouTube.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    It has reminded me that I intended to watch the Black Sails series again over Christmas.
    Better get started on that one now.
    Rob.
    Ooooo.....good point....another thing added to my "to do" list !

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Well, all this talk of Pirates has sent me careening to my library to haul out this tome -- it may be time to reread "Treasure Island" and "Kidnapped" ....Arrrgh!
    Name:  Treasure Island 1.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  115.5 KB Name:  Treasure Island 2.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  80.2 KB

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

You could always watch Disney's Treasure Planet?
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    You could always watch Disney's Treasure Planet?
    Arrr! Jim lad.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

I'm nearing the end of my reread of "Treasure Island" and have this queued up to continue my "Pyrate" reading experience:
    Name:  Pyrates.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  105.2 KB

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

For those who couldn't attend the event, here is a link to of a YouTube of the archived Maritime Movie Club historical discussion surrounding "Pirates of the Caribbean."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lUV...ature=youtu.be

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I found the latter part of the discussion quite useful in jogging my memory about the relative sized ships involved and the passing reference to the Barbary Pirates was a pleasing addition.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

I found the latter part of the discussion quite useful in jogging my memory about the relative sized ships involved and the passing reference to the Barbary Pirates was a pleasing addition.
    Rob.
    Hi Rob,
    If you are interested, here is the archived USS Constitution Museum Maritime Movie Club event on "Master and Commander:Far Side of the World." I enjoyed this one as well...
    Bill

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Great Bill.
    Asit i s Iam just printing out a ship mat for the Constitution for the Med game.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Well, I finished re-reading "Treasure Island" last night and I'm about half way through "The Pyrates" by George MacDonald Frazier (of Flashman fame) -- what a hoot that one is! Since I seem to be not finished buckling my swash, I think Stevenson's "The Master of Ballantrae" may be next up....

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Never read Pyrates Bill. I must have a look at that one.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Never read Pyrates Bill. I must have a look at that one.
    Rob.
    It is worth a look -- but a word of warning -- when reading you must keep your tongue firmly planted in cheek !

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I will do that then Bill.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just got it on Kindle for Ł3.91. Bill.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Rob.
    Enjoy!
    B.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Rob.
    BTW, Rob -- much to my chagrin I found that the villain of "The Pyrates" (a pirate called Calico Jack) at one point uses Wentworth as a nomme de guerre giving a new double meaning to my handle on this site....
    B.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That's it then Calico Jack Wentworth! For I am a pirate King, and it is a wonderful thing to be.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Bill.
    Just got to 50% of the book and decided that for those of us who were brought up on Errol Flynn and Robert Newton this is a great chuckle.
    I decided that a book review would describe it as a cross between Black Sails, Pirates of the Caribbean, Wacky Racers and Carry on Captain, written in the style of Henry Fielding with a smidgeon of Terry Pratchett and Robert Louis Stephenson thrown in for good measure.
    Certainly not suitable reading for the under fours or over 90s who have never read 1066 and all that.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Hi Bill.
    Just got to 50% of the book and decided that for those of us who were brought up on Errol Flynn and Robert Newton this is a great chuckle.
    I decided that a book review would describe it as a cross between Black Sails, Pirates of the Caribbean, Wacky Racers and Carry on Captain, written in the style of Henry Fielding with a smidgeon of Terry Pratchett and Robert Louis Stephenson thrown in for good measure.
    Certainly not suitable reading for the under fours or over 90s who have never read 1066 and all that.

Rob.
    Yes it is great fun! It is silliness, but literate silliness -- that's a property that has caused me to read and love P.G. Wodehouse all these years since discovering him as a teenager. I am going to try George MacDonald Fraser's "The Reivers" next, I think. I hope you have fun with the book.
    B.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yes it is great fun! It is silliness, but literate silliness -- that's a property that has caused me to read and love P.G. Wodehouse all these years since discovering him as a teenager. I am going to try George MacDonald Fraser's "The Reivers" next, I think. I hope you have fun with the book.
    B.
    Must look out my Border Reivers sweat shirt for that one Bill. Got it at the Museum in Carlisle. As it had a picture entitled Rob the Reiver I just had to get it.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Must look out my Border Reivers sweat shirt for that one Bill. Got it at the Museum in Carlisle. As it had a picture entitled Rob the Reiver I just had to get it.

Rob.
    Looking forward to seeing you model it, Rob