Thread: Indian Ocean Campaign

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Default Indian Ocean Campaign

Having seen some discussion elsewhere that suggested this was of interest, the following is a link to a campaign pack I put together for "Form Line of Battle" covering the Coromandel campaign of 1782-83, which should be easily adaptable to "Sails".

Microsoft Word - Suffren and Hughes.doc (navalwargamessociety.org)

I may update this at some point (there are some spelling mistooks and grammatical goofs), and a new map could be useful, but in its current form it should serve. I wish you joy, fellow captains!

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Thanks for that gen Dave, very informative, for me at least.
    I had intended to do this campaign at a Doncaster meet, but don't think it would be feasible to fit in 5 games over the weekend, could do maybe three battle, one Fri and Two Sat, any thoughts on this ?

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Three would work, but it would be interesting to see whether the players remembered the "campaign" aspect and had any ships left after the end of the first battle

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks David. I will be checking this out shortly.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

The repair/rearm approach here would be simpler than my attempt at resource-management by cannibalizing ships... David, if no publisher has picked this up I would actually suggest Ares license this for publication with some "Sails-izing" rather than have me keep beating my head against a wall from scratch.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I would be more than happy if you suggested it to them (doing so myself would seem presumptuous)

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Will do. It also occurs to me that this might give us a framework for handling Linois's Expedition, the 1798 Mediterranean Campaign (incl. Nile) and the road to Trafalgar.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I have applied a similar system to all those, plus a generic campaign system, but they've fallen in amongst so many other projects and not got the attention they deserve to finish them off. Perhaps next year.....

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Thanks for that gen Dave, very informative, for me at least.
    I had intended to do this campaign at a Doncaster meet, but don't think it would be feasible to fit in 5 games over the weekend, could do maybe three battle, one Fri and Two Sat, any thoughts on this ?
    I am more than happy to chip in and help you with this one Chris. The Morocco one I was going to do this year could go on hold and we could run your idea in all our slots between us.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    I have applied a similar system to all those, plus a generic campaign system, but they've fallen in amongst so many other projects and not got the attention they deserve to finish them off. Perhaps next year.....
    Anything I can do to help?
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Add another 10 hours to the day? L)

No, I need to just knuckle down and get some projects finished rather than endless starting new ones :D

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Or start finding things that can be delegated... you sound kinda like me, when I hit a wall I start a new project while I try to remember where I left my jackhammer. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I did delegate a few wargaming projects once. Didn't end well.....

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am finding that since lockdown I seem to have gradually lost the ability to complete anything. I start several things in a day but wander off the subject and never...........
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I am finding that since lockdown I seem to have gradually lost the ability to complete anything. I start several things in a day but wander off the subject and never...........
    You're in good company. Leonardo da Vinci had similar issues, many projects, many unfinished.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That make me feel much better Jim. Does that mean I will now have to write all my posts ?sdrawkcab
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    That make me feel much better Jim. Does that mean I will now have to write all my posts ?sdrawkcab
    Rob.
    !lliw uoY or is it uoY lliw?
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thats about as close to acvtual mirror writing as we can get on here Jim.
    Rob.