Size:  165.6 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just spotted this so here is a repeat of my post on the UK Forum.

The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Just spotted this so here is a repeat of my post on the UK Forum.

Is there supposed to be a photo here Rob?

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Beside the historical stuff posted in the thread above, I got a lot of clothing as well -- I guess my family is tired of me looking like a street person....I MAY have to cut my hair and shave next....so the "haul" included new trainers (we call them sneakers), new jeans, and a bunch of Pitt clothing -- Pitt is the vernacular for the University of Pittsburgh (where my wife earned her B.A. and I earned my Ph.D.). The city of Pittsburgh was originally settled by the British, taken by the French who called it Fort Duquesne. In the French and Indian War (everyone else calls it the Seven Years' War) Britain took the fort and renamed it Fort Pitt after the Prime Minister William Pitt. The town that grew up around the outskirts of the fort became known as Pittsburgh. The university was founded there in a log cabin on the frontier of the new nation in 1787.
    Name:  xmas 2020.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  151.6 KB
    Last edited by Wentworth; 12-31-2020 at 11:38.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

By the way, adding on historically to the post above and for those interested, here is a link to a brief CSPAN program which gives a tour of the Fort Pitt Museum and discusses the Seven Years' War (French and Indian War) and the American War for Independence in the Fort Pitt area.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?418753-1/fort-pitt-museum

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    By the way, adding on historically to the post above and for those interested, here is a link to a brief CSPAN program which gives a tour of the Fort Pitt Museum and discusses the Seven Years' War (French and Indian War) and the American War for Independence in the Fort Pitt area.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?418753-1/fort-pitt-museum
    I'll definitely have to check this out later, but The Black Pearl model is calling and I'm not as far along as I want to be.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I got absolutely nothing to do with wargaming, naval or otherwise this year. We were happy just to have time with each other.

I did get a rice cooker and a soda stream however

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Not even an Instant Pot? :(

We've already seen the pic of my haul... or rather, ten-year-old me's three-decades-late haul.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Nope, not even that. And my plan to spoil myself with a new laptop has taken a hit as our ground source heat pump has died, taking out the hot water and central heating - new controller needed and they are about a grand. And of course its snowing outside :)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Is there supposed to be a photo here Rob?
    That is really odd, because I can see it both in my post and in your reply Vol.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just watched the Fort Pitt clip Bill.
    Most interesting especially the map and bit on Pontiac rebellion as it bridges what I do know which is the French and Indian Wars, and War of Independence. I will try and turn out a few more photos of those conflicts for you.
    Rob.

That is really odd, because I can see it both in my post and in your reply Vol.
    Rob.
    Nope, can't see a photo in either one.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Nope, can't see a photo in either one.
    Has that made any difference Vol?

Has that made any difference Vol?

Ah yes Cruel Seas, nice! Thank you
    HMS Pinafore? Is that the musical?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It is indeed the Musical Comic Opera Vol. I have been meaning to upgrade my old tapes for years, but last year my Walkman finally gave up the ghost and so it became a necessity.
    Rob.

It is indeed the Musical Comic Opera Vol. I have been meaning to upgrade my old tapes for years, but last year my Walkman finally gave up the ghost and so it became a necessity.
    Rob.
    Walkman! You've successfully kept it working this many years? Now that is impressive!